England--Places to See/Things to (beside London)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Renting a car is definitely more flexible, but the comment about driving on "the correct side" of the road and narrow roadways lined with cars is well taken.

I've never had a significant accident in the US, but both times I rented cars in the UK I smack off the left hand side mirror on a parked car.

The whole experience of having to set aside almost everything you know regarding where to look during a turn or entering a "roundabout" and which lanes to turn into and out of makes it almost feel like you're learning to drive all over again.

Oh yes, and one other thing. I almost got killed twice looking the wrong way and then stepping out into the road in london. Cars are coming at you from your RIGHT side, not your left.

Unless you hate fish, take one of your meals from any hole in the wall fish and chips place. Do they still serve them rolled up in a big cone of newspaper or did they finally make good on stopping that process due to concerns about using non-food-grade paper as a wrapper? All seemed sort of silly to me. Nothing like strolling around with a huge 'bouquet' of fish and chips.

If you like indian food, the best bet food wise if you don't know the area
is to head to the local indian restaurant
wherever you may be. They are typically very good

car wise, i only had trouble when there were not other cars on the road, my brain fell
back to american mode on occaision w/o the visual cues from the other other moving cars.

i think now a lot of chips places use "food grade" newspaper

That is absolutely true...england has some of the best indian food on the planet.

However the traditional english food has gotten substantially better and you can now eat quite well at most restaurants. The days of boiled beef and tasteless food are well behind. Which is great...on my first few trips to the old islands you were well advised to order lamb and a baked potato, go to pub for a meat pie, grab fish and chips or eat indian food.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
However the traditional english food has gotten substantially better and you can now eat quite well at most restaurants. The days of boiled beef and tasteless food are well behind.
I still remember dining at Ardfyllane's in the bustling metropolis of Dunoon, Scotland in the mid-80s.

As we sat in the lounge quaffing various beverages and ordering our multi-course meal, one of us ordered the fish of the day. The waiter paused to dispatch a messenger to the kitchen and a few minutes later we saw an angler heading across the lawn to the loch with a pole in one hand and a creel in the other. Must've been a coincidence but it sure set the tone for the tippers...

I know it's a traditional Scots restaurant because I stayed there on Christmas Day and the kitchen never opened. Later that night I met the desk clerk (who'd also been MIA all day) and asked about meals. His answer was "Aye, sur, you know I've been drunk!"

I would point out that scotland <> england. Different matter altogether. Scots eat the haggis and play golf. 'nuff said.

Nords said:
I still remember dining at Ardfyllane's in the bustling metropolis of Dunoon, Scotland in the mid-80s.

As we sat in the lounge quaffing various beverages and ordering our multi-course meal, one of us ordered the fish of the day. The waiter paused to dispatch a messenger to the kitchen and a few minutes later we saw an angler heading across the lawn to the loch with a pole in one hand and a creel in the other. Must've been a coincidence but it sure set the tone for the tippers...

Nords: Now that really dispels any idea that working in the kitchen is
not a "pressure filled job". ;)

It was in the late 70s and I was up in Dunoon over the Highland Games. The piper bands marched off the ferry from early hours and the games went all day. They had a massed band of 1,000+ pipers play Amazing Grace, actually sounded awful, couldn’t synchronize well enough. One scene I still remember was some noise about midnight or 2 AM with the street cleaners cleaning up everything and two paddy wagons, one for locals and one SPs, the Scott police sorting bodies out of the gutter and say to the SP, “Hey, looks like one of yours” and carry it over to the correct van, or the other way around. And by Sunday morning everything was spick & span and you would never know there had been such a party while on your way to church.

yakers said:
One scene I still remember was some noise about midnight or 2 AM with the street cleaners cleaning up everything and two paddy wagons, one for locals and one SPs, the Scott police sorting bodies out of the gutter and say to the SP, “Hey, looks like one of yours” and carry it over to the correct van, or the other way around.
Yeah, but luckily I don't recall that incident...

Back
Top Bottom