enjoying your retirement life?

Since this is an early retirement forum, it follows that most of the members are here because they are enjoying being retired. But that doesn't mean it's all pros and no cons.

As I have shared in many posts over the years, for me it's been mostly positive, but with some challenges along the way. I still work part time, but only a few hours a day, from my home, so pretty low stress. However, I still struggle with the amount of free, unstructured time I have. It doesn't always feel natural to me.

In addition, I find that working on some really challenging issues keeps me mentally stimulated, and at present I only am able to get these challenges from my work. So I find myself in a situation where if I stopped working completely, I think I would be a bit bored and unsatisfied.

I exercise three hours a day, I think I have a fair number of hobbies to keep me busy, and I'm generally a positive person. Most of my social contacts still comes from work, which is probably part of my problem. I'm naturally an introvert, so work keeps me socially connected in ways I would not be if I was fully retired.

There's much to think about as you prepare to leave the working world and transition to a world where you have as much free time as you wish to have. Some people keep busy with family, kids, pets, church, volunteer work, or just going fishing every day. People with a lot of these activities generally seem to find retirement most satisfying.

However, for those of us who spent their careers fully immersed in what they do, a departure from that world can be a bit of a shock. Take your time to think about what your lifestyle will be like in retirement, and if possible, consider shifting from full time to part time as a trial period to see what it feels like.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

I just got back from a great 11 day vacation with DW. I told her how great it was because every day I was free to run, swim, and generally do whatever I wanted (including doing nothing). Unlike when I'm home and every day I'm free to run, swim................oh wait, it's the same [great]thing. Yup, I definitely enjoy my ER!

I just got back from a great 11 day vacation with DW. I told her how great it was because every day I was free to run, swim, and generally do whatever I wanted (including doing nothing). Unlike when I'm home and every day I'm free to run, swim................oh wait, it's the same [great]thing. Yup, I definitely enjoy my ER!
That is the worst part of ER - no more weekends or vacations.

If I could bottle it up and sell it...I would GIVE it away! Retirement is great and everyday just gets better and better!

...Most of my social contacts still comes from work, which is probably part of my problem. I'm naturally an introvert, so work keeps me socially connected in ways I would not be if I was fully retired.

There's much to think about as you prepare to leave the working world and transition to a world where you have as much free time as you wish to have. Some people keep busy with family, kids, pets, church, volunteer work, or just going fishing every day. People with a lot of these activities generally seem to find retirement most satisfying.

However, for those of us who spent their careers fully immersed in what they do, a departure from that world can be a bit of a shock. Take your time to think about what your lifestyle will be like in retirement, and if possible, consider shifting from full time to part time as a trial period to see what it feels like.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks for sharing. I'm also very much an introvert. Other than work, my passion is travelling (alone) and planning for the trips. Still, I would like to change my lifestyle and get more connected socially with others. Right now, I find it difficult due to my personality and language barrier - I don't speak well the local language where I am living now. My plan is to leave for another country and establish a new life (again!). A lot to think about. And I know that no place on earth is perfect for me if I don't change myself first.

However, for those of us who spent their careers fully immersed in what they do, a departure from that world can be a bit of a shock.

For the last decade of my career, I worked for a struggling, dysfunctional company where morale was very low (in contrast to the early years, where it was a good place to work). In hindsight, I realize what an advantage this was for making a smooth transition to ER. As social relationships at work dried up, I built more relationships outside of the workplace. And (at least equally important for introverts) as opportunities to do creative and interesting work dried up in the workplace, I developed these pursuits outside of work. So the workplace became one of boredom and isolation, and the opposite was waiting for me when I ERd. I wouldn't wish a struggling, dysfunctional company on anyone else, but easing the transition to retirement was a big silver lining for me.

Been retire 4 years and love everyday. The freedom of not being on someone else's schedule is priceless. Seems like most people find their "grove" when they retire, but I have seen some people on this forum that find retirement life boring, without purpose or meaning. Those people should keep working and paying taxes to support our SS and medicare benefits. That gives them a purpose :D

I miss my windowless basement cube.

I miss fighting through traffic every morning and afternoon. I miss unproductive meetings, political posturing, dominance games, and random reorganizations. I miss the phone calls when some system somewhere is acting up, the cries of "When will it be fixed?" when I haven't even discovered the root cause yet, the sinking feeling of despair and feeling like a fraud because I haven't the foggiest notion why it's not working, despite the fact that I know full well I have been here before and have always solved all problems in past. I miss the "and all other duties as required" and the noisy cubicle farm where the only thing keeping the claustrophobia at bay is that even as the walls get close together, they get lower.

That's all gone from my life now. But I'm told there are professional S&M dominatrixes who can be hired to beat me if I ever miss it *too* much.

I like my retirement. It's nice.

I enjoyed my job too, but my employer went out of business, and I just couldn't quite muster up the urge to find another job, so I didn't :)

So, no big highs or lows during either my working life or retirement. The job was great fun, and the retirement is very pleasant.

Been retire 4 years and love everyday. The freedom of not being on someone else's schedule is priceless. Seems like most people find their "grove" when they retire, but I have seen some people on this forum that find retirement life boring, without purpose or meaning. Those people should keep working and paying taxes to support our SS and medicare benefits. That gives them a purpose :D

one of the reasons I'm thinking about retirement is that I'm getting bored with my working life. I have a kind of decent job which gives me a reasonable income, but often the job I am doing is not really bringing much value to my clients. I'm tired of the business model in our world.
I look forward to a "retired" life in which I enjoy my own time and maybe do something more meaningful, like volunteering work.

I miss my windowless basement cube.

MegaCorp was running out of office space, so it converted an old area of manufacturing space. Put up new concrete walls, stairs, and bathrooms.

So, for 10 of the last 12 years at mega-corp, I worked in a building with no windows, that was located inside a building with no windows. :(

MegaCorp was running out of office space, so it converted an old area of manufacturing space. Put up new concrete walls, stairs, and bathrooms.

So, for 10 of the last 12 years at mega-corp, I worked in a building with no windows, that was located inside a building with no windows. :(

I'm glad you finally saw the light. :LOL:

:LOL: And then these same asshats would send you a survey about quality of work life and what they could possible do to make you happier.

I miss fighting through traffic every morning and afternoon. I miss unproductive meetings, political posturing, dominance games, and random reorganizations. I miss the phone calls when some system somewhere is acting up, the cries of "When will it be fixed?" when I haven't even discovered the root cause yet, the sinking feeling of despair and feeling like a fraud because I haven't the foggiest notion why it's not working, despite the fact that I know full well I have been here before and have always solved all problems in past. I miss the "and all other duties as required" and the noisy cubicle farm where the only thing keeping the claustrophobia at bay is that even as the walls get close together, they get lower.

That's all gone from my life now. But I'm told there are professional S&M dominatrixes who can be hired to beat me if I ever miss it *too* much.

[emoji23]

I can't live without windows.

In the past, there were people who, for whatever reason did not like Microsoft, post something like the following on the Internet or beneath their email signature:

"The world will be better without gates or windows".

Thanks for sharing. I'm also very much an introvert. Other than work, my passion is travelling (alone) and planning for the trips. Still, I would like to change my lifestyle and get more connected socially with others. Right now, I find it difficult due to my personality and language barrier - I don't speak well the local language where I am living now. My plan is to leave for another country and establish a new life (again!). A lot to think about. And I know that no place on earth is perfect for me if I don't change myself first.

I'm 4 months into RE, am very satisfied, and would not go back. I also like planning trips and travelling. I have been to several countries in Europe and can see how the language barrier could be isolating, particularly if you are on the introverted side. Perhaps you would be happier in Britain, where you could interact easier. You might try taking some small group tours. In the US, I am getting involved in new things through an online structure called Meetup. They have groups covering many interests.

We continue to really enjoy retirement. Our first 7 years we spent traveling extensively, leaving our place in Texas for about 6 months a year (avoiding the heat and humidity). This last year we have been in England on the northern edge of the N. Yorks Moors National Park and bought a house a few months ago. Our travel will now be mostly in Europe.

3.25 years and all is well. Went into the office to clean out my desk a few weeks ago. Only took a couple of hours, but that was pure hell.

We retired three years ago at the ages of 52 and 59.5: We have really enjoyed our new life...... From Wichita KS, moved full time to Lake of the Ozarks to a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo, quickly realized that the winter months are just as cold as KS. We headed to South West Florida, found a place to rent in an RV Resort / Park Model mobile home and then purchased a place in Ft. Myers, became full time residents (very nice tax incentaitives). We are on our 2nd mobile home in FM this one is a bit bigger and better location within our community, larger lot, close to the rec hall and pool. We are snow birds, we travel, still have our condo at Lake of the Ozarks, spend roughly 3 months during the summer, while doing some traveling. Kids love to visit the lake, as we have 6 grandkids........ Leaving next week with a 6 and 9 year old for Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone until school starts 10 to 15 days, no real schedule ....... Probably leave the lake are at the end of August for Florida, then start our winter retreat and travels ....... Life is Good Retired :)

We retired three years ago at the ages of 52 and 59.5: We have really enjoyed our new life...... From Wichita KS, moved full time to Lake of the Ozarks to a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo, quickly realized that the winter months are just as cold as KS. We headed to South West Florida, found a place to rent in an RV Resort / Park Model mobile home and then purchased a place in Ft. Myers, became full time residents (very nice tax incentaitives). We are on our 2nd mobile home in FM this one is a bit bigger and better location within our community, larger lot, close to the rec hall and pool. We are snow birds, we travel, still have our condo at Lake of the Ozarks, spend roughly 3 months during the summer, while doing some traveling. Kids love to visit the lake, as we have 6 grandkids........ Leaving next week with a 6 and 9 year old for Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone until school starts 10 to 15 days, no real schedule ....... Probably leave the lake are at the end of August for Florida, then start our winter retreat and travels ....... Life is Good Retired :)

If you don't mind my asking, do you rent either property when not in use?

Enjoying retirement (16 months) immensely. The only thing I have to make sure I do is be happy with my current plan. Played golf yesterday with a great guy who worked for Intel for 34 years in a high level job. He has two large houses and just bought an RV for traveling at 56 years old. I have to fight financial envy and realize that I'm in the lucky 10% to be doing what I'm doing.

has anybody retired (early) as a single? has the retirement life as good as those I read above who are not single?

A year and a half for me. I have had time to do things I never had time for before-working on the house and property, taking classes, learning a musical instrument. Next on the list will be doing some traveling.

I have not regretted retiring for one second.

Back
Top Bottom