Exclusive Interview with Nords!! Early Retiree from the Military

Nords
I'd like to think that I joined the military to protect my family and my way of life. Today I think that a lot of my military experience is the teamwork, the camaraderie, and teaching the people I worked with you how to accomplish the mission. If I had to be recalled tomorrow, I'd report for duty just to be able to exert slightly more of a measure of influence & control over my fate (and the fate of others) than I'd have as a civilian. But the emotional truth is that when those bugles blare, I still get chicken skin.

And this is why we are indebted to you and those like you who have chosen to serve our Nation. I’m serious about this. We have a great country, and we love our way of life, our freedom. we couldn’t have the life we live with all the choices we have, if we had been born elsewhere. Billy and I are most grateful. Thanks again, Nords.

I'll have to photoshop one of those pictures to include the klingon ridges...
Shouldn't be too hard, just reverse the process that Billy used to remove them...

Although I have been to Hawaii (early 1970’s) Billy never has.. (Can you believe it?) He said to me this morning ‘uh, I guess I cropped out something important?’ Gotta love that guy!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

I was a year ahead of Nords at USNA. I recall the late 70's as a really miserable time to be in the military. It was unpopular and those who were on active duty were viewed with pity if not disdain or active hostility. When I was on summer cruise in 1978 on an amphibious command ship in San Diego, I learned that many, many sailors were on drugs much of the time. The captain spent every day administering non-judical punishment to sailors who were busted for doing drugs, and I was warned which parts of the ship to avoid because that is where the crew smoked pot and they did not want even midshipmen around.

Perhaps the principal motivation for me to go in the military was for a college education. My parents, who never graduated from high school, had no money and no idea how one could go to college without money. The only two colleges I applied to were USNA and USAFA, because they were free. If my family had had money (or a clue about college), I am not certain how things would have worked out. That said, I certainly felt that I was part of a special group and I was proud that I survived a very challenging experience. Many did not -- of my entering class of 1323, only 969 graduated.

Going through USNA and my subsequent service in the submarine force has certainly given me perspective on life. The worst days of my life were Plebe Summer 1977. It has only been better since then. And having served on submarines, where if you screw up, you and 120 other guys could die, has certainly modified my definition of "serious consequences". If I screw up now, people might lose money and I might get fired and sued, but no one will die.

Great interview Nords! Very interesting reading from an "almost submariner".
Back in 1972 I finished second in my class at Submarine School in Groton Connecticut.
When it came time to pick our duty stations I looked at the list of choices and saw the numbers AS32. I asked the instructor what that meant and he said "you don't want that. It's a sub tender".
And you know the rest of the story!
Really enjoyed the 6 years in the Navy and I admire you for sticking it out. Good luck to you and I'll start saving up now to purchase your book. :D

Great interview NORDS. I hope the interview does bring military early retirees out of the woodwork. And hopefully you do write that book in the future because most military just go straight to second careers. I plan on following in your footsteps I have done 11 years active so far 9+ more and I will have the oppurtunity.

Gumby:
I recall the late 70's as a really miserable time to be in the military. It was unpopular and those who were on active duty were viewed with pity if not disdain or active hostility.

I was in High School/college during that time and was generally confused over the war. It wasn't until Billy and I visited Viet Nam a couple of years ago (Viet Nam Travel Page: http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/vietnamtravelinfo.htm)

and had a South Vietnamese travel guide take us through the Cu Chi Tunnels http://www.retireearlylifestyle.com/cu_chi_tunnels.htm

that I felt I finally got a handle on what happened and why. He gave us his side of the story and pieces of the puzzle finally fell into place for me.

Gumby:
And having served on submarines, where if you screw up, you and 120 other guys could die, has certainly modified my definition of "serious consequences". If I screw up now, people might lose money and I might get fired and sued, but no one will die.

That does give you a useful perspective... :eek:

Thanks for serving, Gumby!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I discovered this board via google about 3 years ago. I was searching out info on the internet on RE because over the previous year it began to dawn on me that I could and should plan on being finished with work before I'm 50. I don't remember what the specific search criteria I used were but it had something to do with military and retiring. Anyway the search led to a post by Nords. I have read here a lot since then (yea I lurked a long time before ever posting). As he has observed, we in the military don’t regularly run into any of our kind that have done anything other than continue to work, work, work after retiring. Nords is a good role model and a natural mentor who is pretty generous with well considered and helpful advice and observations. Definitely a pillar of the FIRE community.
Thank you Nords. You look like a very happy dude in those pictures. May it always be so.

Nice interview Nords. Thanks!

Average Joe said:
As he has observed, we in the military don’t regularly run into any of our kind that have done anything other than continue to work, work, work after retiring.
Well, career military is not known as a path for people dreaming of being slackers :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I do know of one guy who matches you and Nords. On rec.windsurfing there was a retired AF guy who lived in a small place near Hood River and was out on his board almost every day in the summer. He was living the life of Reilly and credited it to Uncle Sam. You guys contributed more than your share -- enjoy.

Nords,

Enjoyed the interview. I think you have your priorities straight regarding family versus service. Thanks for your service.

2soon2tell
USN 69-72

Good background on how you FIREd.

Former Marine here. 75-79. Avionics work on CH-46 helicopter. What you sailors call an AE. Did 2 cruises on LPH-9 (USS GUAM) in the Med. COMPHIBRON 6 (amphibious assault group) FMFLANT in 76 and 78.

Never made it WestPAC while on active duty. However... DW and I may spend a couple months on one of the Hawaiian Islands to wind-down when we FIRE.... Make the adjustment to slow time. Then on to Austrailia for a few months.

Really impressive interview! Can't wait for your book. I would like to send it to some family friends. Thanks Nords and also Thanks to Akaisha and Billy...

So glad people are enjoying this interview with Nords. He has such a wealth of information... Hope his book takes the military by storm!

So many will benefit from it.

Be well,
Akaisha

Count me in as another person who thoroughly enjoyed his interview. He is such a wealth of information and always so willing to share. I have learned so much from reading his posts.

I PM'd him at the last minute about my trip to Hawaii and hoped that I would hear a few lines from him before I left. In typical Nords fashion, he sent me a long PM telling me all about places of interest, highways to use and tips for saving money. He even offered to give me a surfing lesson! (I feel that I really messed up by not taking him up on his offer. Maybe he will be so kind to offer it again, the next time I make it there.)

Thank you so much for your service to our country, Nords and for being so generous with your time here.

Pam

Dreamer said:
I feel that I really messed up by not taking him up on his offer. Maybe he will be so kind to offer it again, the next time I make it there.
It's a standing offer!

When Trombone Al & I went out yesterday I kept hearing a whimpering noise. It's March so the water temperature was only in the low 70s, but my daughter insisted it wasn't her.

After a while I realized that it was Al, who's spent at least 20 hours in the water over the last seven days and is soon going to have to go back to northern CA & full wetsuits...

After a while I realized that it was Al, who's spent at least 20 hours in the water over the last seven days and is soon going to have to go back to northern CA & full wetsuits...

I don't blame him for the wimpering... :LOL: I lived 20 years in Santa Cruz where they hold the Cold Water Classic Surfing Competition and BRRR!!! They don't call it the Cold Water Classic for nuthin'!

Unfortunately, I'm not too much of a swimmer, but I'd be brave enough to go knee high into those freezing waters.. and it was enough to keep me from ever going full body. I certainly prefer the warmer waters of the Caribbean, Phuket, Hawaii, Florida, etc. 8) Hang in there T.Al! I'm sure Nords would love to see your mug again on some other visit!

Akaisha,

Back
Top Bottom