Finding adventurous travel partners

Ha, please do not think the humor, and sadness, of the situation is lost on me. My friend puts up with so much more in that relationship than I think I ever would; but, I assume (possibly just hope) that he is getting something in return that I do not understand. (There is much in this world that I do not understand.)

BTravelin, you touch on some of the additional issues that my friend faces even if he were willing to battle his wife on the allowed to travel with me front. So, in the end, it is not worth it for him to even fight that battle.

My first administration would not even consider the thought of me going on a trip without her and was one of the things that contributed to the split.

My current DW is always open to discussing options and it makes things so much easier and more enjoyable. We do operate as a partnership with shared goals and it makes all the difference.

Time is too precious to deal with those who are insecure and not trusting.

This thread makes me think of Doctor Who, who always trades in his companions from time-to-time.

I am not as adventurous as the OP, but in my twenties me and a buddy would take international trips on odd numbered years. Came to a mutual end when each of our lives changed (me marriage, him back to the US from the UK). No more international trips but we now gather annually with a few other fellas for boys weekend. That is an easy negotiation with my wife.

I looked and saw that you are also a man, as is your former travel partner. I know that this situation is hurtful to you, and has caused you some loss and pain. Yet it is funny. A grown man, living in America, is not "allowed" by his wife (jailor?) to go on trips with his same sex friend and compatible travel partner. And he puts up with this. :facepalm:Ha

In my case, my travel companion's wife truly thought I was going to get him killed on one on my adventures. She was wrong, but had no understanding of mountaineering. He has not been on a trip with me since she said no more. I am sad, but understand that marriage is a give-and-take. I am comfortable that he believe he is coming out ahead overall.

He has since missed the off-road motorcycle adventure trips that I have moved into that my wife thinks are going to kill me. I am going on one in the Spring anyway, with my brother.

In my case, my travel companion's wife truly thought I was going to get him killed on one on my adventures. She was wrong, but had no understanding of mountaineering. He has not been on a trip with me since she said no more. I am sad, but understand that marriage is a give-and-take. I am comfortable that he believe he is coming out ahead overall.

He has since missed the off-road motorcycle adventure trips that I have moved into that my wife thinks are going to kill me. I am going on one in the Spring anyway, with my brother.

Substitute diving or anything 3rd world related and you have nailed the primary concern of my old travel companion's wife. We have all been friends for years; she was always convinced at least one of us was not going to make it back to the USA alive when we left on our adventures. So, no more of that after they got hitched.

To be completely fair, we have both had some close calls on vacation; but, I am sure I have had more brushes with death on long weekends in the USA. Yes, it truly is a wonder that I am still alive.

Culture, I would send my DH on a motorcycle trip like that. I took the driving class last year, but I'm just not into it. It would be a blessing to be able to have him go on that kind of trip without me.
I like to pick and choose, and the two that leave me cold are mountaineering and motorcycles. Y'all can have that stuff. And if you die, well hell, at least you went out living, like real men, and not sitting on a couch somewhere.

Find One From a Past Adventure?

Two girlfriends from college are still my "go to" travel partners, now that we have reached ER (though they both still work PT). With one I traveled the US, for a month after college. The other was my travel buddy for 5 wks. in Europe, back in our 20's.

The one (with whom I traveled the States) will be in Provence for work in Sept., and wanted someone to meet her in Paris for 8 days afterwards. Her husband doesn't like to travel, and my husband cannot for health reasons. So both of our husbands were happy for us to travel again together. (They feel like they're "off the hook.")

Who knows? Maybe they will each enjoy their peace and quiet at home, and send us off on another trip in the future? (She and I can only hope....)

:D

I've been traveling with women friends a lot - my S.O. doesn't want to go and I don't want to stay home. It works out really well :)

I've been traveling with women friends a lot - my S.O. doesn't want to go and I don't want to stay home. It works out really well :)

Glad to hear this! May I (and my travel friends) quote you in the future? (Our husbands always like to hear the results of our "research-based" travel-planning!)

:dance::flowers:

Back
Top Bottom