Florida in the summer

If I lived in Florida, I would live there all year round.

However, I have absolutely no desire to live in Florida for a number of reasons. Not to say that others should feel the same way, of course.

Well, I already live in a state where people snowbird, so I haven't thought much about it. But, in general, I'm not a big fan of Florida, although I've only been to parts of it in more recent times. Too many hurricanes, too many tourists, too many geezers, and way too many obnoxious yankees (or obnoxious Floridians who act like obnoxious yankees) in some places.

I've always wondered about the latter - did some lost tribe wander off from New Jersey/New York and wind up settling around Ft. Lauderdale? Seriously, I spent a lot of time there (and Miami) several years ago working a case and I kept having deja vu moments from other trips to NYC.

I have been in Fla in the summer twice. Once to experience it, again to confirm initial opinion. though the second time it was on a company's dime.

No more summers in Fla for me. I might do winters.

I don´t want to offend anybody, but Florida would be almost the last place to go in all your great country. Too touristy, too hot, too humid, too cliché...too many retired people:D. Too similar to our Costa del Sol:mad:

Florida does have beautiful beaches and great winters--I could handle those summers if need be.

Parts of Texas seem to have suffered tremendously from the heat (and long-term drought in places) this summer, making Tampa's forecast look like it's filled with gentle balmy summer breezes.

like anywhere, I think every state sub-region, town, neighbourhood and development has its own culture or flavour.

For myself, I love and prefer the character of Galveston or New Oleans or Charleston...but I find even Orlando to be so darn depressing in winter when you have to put a jacket on. 65 degrees as a daytime high just completely bums me out...I don't know why.

I am not a desert person and Calfornia is too far from friends and relatives...I much prefer the decor of palm trees to the dry theme.

Maybe spending a lifetime in the North just uses up your capacity for cold weather.

Even in south florida you get a couple of weeks of that. In my short stays down there in the summer, I don't find 100 degree humidex to be depressing in the least...uncomfortable yes, but its nice to look at from an air conditioned room or from a pool.

Florida does have beautiful beaches and great winters--I could handle those summers if need be.

Parts of Texas seem to have suffered tremendously from the heat (and long-term drought in places) this summer, making Tampa's forecast look like it's filled with gentle balmy summer breezes.

Looks to me that coastal florida, in particular the south, is more moderate than areas closer to the the interior land mass.

I have heard said the the normal western track of wind in south florida means that Miami is cooler than Naples in the summer.

I live in Florida year round . The summer is hot but so is summer in a lot of places . The good thing about the summer is the lack of people . Suddenly the restaurants are begging for our business . The beaches are deserted and air conditioning is everywhere. I have been a snowbird twice . Once to Cape Cod and once to the Poconos in Pa.. Cape Cod was so crowded that I was upset I left the quiet of Florida for that and the Poconos was nice but I missed my home . I do not mind June & July by August I need a break . Most of the people that live in Florida year round make subtle changes for the seasons ( I know what seasons ) . In the summer everyone heads to the beach , In the winter we wear real shoes( No sandals ) and jeans and occasionally a sweater . Where I live I almost always have a breeze from the water so except for the few really brutal days my patio gets a breeze . I'm not crazy about summer in Florida but I am really not crazy about winters in the North so it is a trade off .

I can't imagine the summers in Florida could be much worse than the summers here in Mississippi.

I'd love the opportunity to live in Florida to see how I like it. Our friends live in Sarasota and LOVE it there.

Back
Top Bottom