Florida living

I have never seen a palmetto out randomly flying - and I spend plenty of evenings outdoors. We're not exactly sitting in the everglades.

If you are on the SE, you don't get no-see-ums hardly. Yes, mosquitoes, but a little bug spray, citronella, etc., can reduce that.

You can of course cage a pool but if you buy one without, be very prepared for sticker shock, probably 20k or more these days. And your insurance won't cover without a big add-on in price, and repairs, etc...

I lived nearby you in Boca, all the way out to 441, so no strong sea breeze. The Loxahatchee reserve (part of the Everglades) was only 2 miles away.

Flying bugs that bite were never an issue with me. I have had more problems with mosquitoes in Illinois, Wisconsin and especially Minnesota. Here in NC, I've had issues with ticks and no see ums.

Of course, in Boca I did have issues with love bugs covering the car after a drive on the Turnpike. They are thick out west away from the coast.

Palmetto bugs would fly, but only as well as a drunk who has consumed two fifths of vodka. They are just random flyers. We have them too in NC, but they only rarely lift off. Honestly, Palmetto bugs scare the crap out of everyone because you see this big roach thing and you imagine it chomping on the complete burger you must have dropped behind the stove. Not really. They are just random recyclers. The real problem I had with roaches in FL were the german roaches in an apartment building. Apartment living can have challenges. Hopefully the people on the other side of the wall are not dropping burgers behind their stove.

Last edited:
I lived nearby you in Boca, all the way out to 441, so no strong sea breeze. The Loxahatchee reserve (part of the Everglades) was only 2 miles away.

Flying bugs that bite were never an issue with me. I have had more problems with mosquitoes in Illinois, Wisconsin and especially Minnesota. Here in NC, I've had issues with ticks and no see ums.

Of course, in Boca I did have issues with love bugs covering the car after a drive on the Turnpike. They are thick out west away from the coast.

Palmetto bugs would fly, but only as well as a drunk who has consumed two fifths of vodka. They are just random flyers. We have them too in NC, but they only rarely lift off. Honestly, Palmetto bugs scare the crap out of everyone because you see this big roach thing and you imagine it chomping on the complete burger you must have dropped behind the stove. Not really. They are just random recyclers. The real problem I had with roaches in FL were the german roaches in an apartment building. Apartment living can have challenges. Hopefully the people on the other side of the wall are not dropping burgers behind their stove.

One time I stayed in a very nice hotel in Houston. They had an outdoor pool and my best friend from high school who lived there came over to hang out in the pool with me one evening. The pool was surrounded by trees. We had to go into the hotel within 5-10 minutes. The flying roaches were totally grossing us out. Dozens were crawling around on the pool deck and landing in the water. After that experience, I don’t think I could deal with an uncaged pool in an area that has a lot of bugs.

Thanks for this explanation. I guess I can understand that, but on the other hand, if I had a pool in South FL, I think I’d enjoy it a lot at night. The idea of having flying palmetto bugs, mosquitoes and noseeums enjoying my pool area with me is not appealing. Aren’t bugs a big issue without a cage?

I'd be more worried about the BIG bugs

gator_in_pool.jpg

^^^^
I'm in the FL Panhandle, and have neighbor close to the state forest that had a bear and cubs crash through their screened pool enclosure and investigate everything that might be food.

Florida is an amazing place, but not for everyone ;)

Florida is an amazing place, but not for everyone ;)

Frank does not want to live in Florida for some reason, and he is very certain about that so I decided to rule out Florida for me as well. I think it's a wonderful state, though, especially for retirement. Such nice warm weather! and then there's the ocean and beaches, and theme parks - - so much to do there.

From what I understand it is getting expensive quite rapidly, as is true for many areas of our country. I could be wrong, and know nothing about it, but my wild guess is that in 10 years it might be unaffordable for many retirees.

Frank does not want to live in Florida for some reason, and he is very certain about that so I decided to rule out Florida for me as well. I think it's a wonderful state, though, especially for retirement. Such nice warm weather! and then there's the ocean and beaches, and theme parks - - so much to do there.

From what I understand it is getting expensive quite rapidly, as is true for many areas of our country. I could be wrong, and know nothing about it, but my wild guess is that in 10 years it might be unaffordable for many retirees.

I think you are right, W2R. I’ve been connecting with various people who have moved from So CA to FL, and the homes they’re buying are generally upwards of $1M. The market seems to be slowing down a bit as we’ve notice a lot of listings are reducing prices, but the asking prices are still much higher than the property sold for a couple of years ago. Amazing how much it’s gone up in a short period of time.

Reactions: W2R
I think you are right, W2R. I’ve been connecting with various people who have moved from So CA to FL, and the homes they’re buying are generally upwards of $1M. The market seems to be slowing down a bit as we’ve notice a lot of listings are reducing prices, but the asking prices are still much higher than the property sold for a couple of years ago. Amazing how much it’s gone up in a short period of time.
Wow, I had no idea! That's definitely too expensive for many retirees, including me. :-\

Not that I would move there without Frank! When it comes to him, I'm forever in "Whither thou goest, I will go" mode. Thank goodness he is happy living here in New Orleans, at least for now.

One time I stayed in a very nice hotel in Houston. They had an outdoor pool and my best friend from high school who lived there came over to hang out in the pool with me one evening. The pool was surrounded by trees. We had to go into the hotel within 5-10 minutes. The flying roaches were totally grossing us out. Dozens were crawling around on the pool deck and landing in the water. After that experience, I don’t think I could deal with an uncaged pool in an area that has a lot of bugs.

You get used to it. This is why they are called "water bugs" or "palmetto bugs."

Marketing. :LOL:

When you visit the area during the summer, you'll find out where that is a thing and where it isn't.

But if you need to cage, get some quotes and ensure the property line has room.

We have been in SE FL since Monday. Today (Saturday) is the first day we haven’t had thunderstorms with torrential rain most of the afternoon. I know summer is rainy season, but I was expecting light tropical showers every day around 4-5 pm followed by more sunshine shortly thereafter.

I guess my expectations were way off base. Is pouring rain for most of the afternoon the norm all summer?

We have been in SE FL since Monday. Today (Saturday) is the first day we haven’t had thunderstorms with torrential rain most of the afternoon. I know summer is rainy season, but I was expecting light tropical showers every day around 4-5 pm followed by more sunshine shortly thereafter.

I guess my expectations were way off base. Is pouring rain for most of the afternoon the norm all summer?

Not most of the afternoon but there will be days and weeks that are wetter than others. Sometimes a couple showers with a nice steamy and sunny break in between. I use my phone for a lot of weather radar viewing when planning and living my life during wet season.

Source: I'm a weather nerd.

Discussion: it isn't summer yet. Your rain shower is not a typical summer SE FL summer shower.

Even into early June, cold fronts, or the shadows of cold fronts can make it deep south. The front doesn't have to go all the way to FL either, just be nearby, like up at the FL border, and it can induce heavy rain all the way to the bottom of the peninsula.

When this happens, the typical tropical-type storms that pop up in summer instead pop up much earlier, and last much longer.

Judging by the current map, not only has that been happening, but a front has gone exceedingly far south for this time of year. It is dying over FL, and actually trying to generate a tropical storm. The previous front of a few days ago actually did generate a near tropical storm. I wouldn't say this is "unprecedented" or anything, it just isn't typical for last week of May.

So... to answer your questions. Yes, short, intense showers are typical in the late afternoon all summer, with some days that have none. What you are experiencing is not typical. The current showers are of much longer duration than you will see in July. Fronts don't affect SE FL weather past June 15 or so.

Attachments

• weathermap.JPG
    weathermap.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Yes those short summer afternoon showers are nice to cool you off. Then watch the steam rise off the hot pavement after. Who doesn't need more humidity?

Nope, and we don't consider this summer yet. May and June have the changing fronts as we move into summer, so it can be unstable. But we had a gorgeous first half off May, then it's rained most days since last monday - bad timing!

Last summer it was like this a lot in late May/early June, then almost a drought through the start of July. Then we do get the typical later afternoon visit that usually passes quickly.

We REALLY needed rain. Seems like every year our little pond behind our townhouse drains almost all the way down, and then we have a series of longer storms over a day or two that brings the water level right back up, fortunately.

As everyone said, this isn't the typical summer late afternoon rainstorm weather pattern. However, I would say it does happen several times a year, and I'm always grateful for it as it usually has been way too dry just before it happens.

The storms have now stopped, and we are having glorious weather this weekend. Headed to the beach today!

Thank you to the Florida residents for reassuring me and explaining more about the weather patterns. It was indeed much nicer for Memorial Day weekend and even yesterday, it didn’t rain until evening where we are.

We’ve been exploring housing options along the SE and Central Eastern FL coasts, including communities up to 45 minutes or so inland. Our findings so far:
- Homes of 1,500-1,800 sq ft that are available in gated communities in nice areas start at around $550K but those in this price range were mostly built 20+ years ago and haven’t been updated recently. Also many in this price range don’t have pools.
- Slightly larger homes of around 2K-2.5K sq ft with nice pools in similar areas start in the $700’s but again, those need a lot of updating. We are not DIY people and would want to update flooring, cabinets, countertops, painting, etc before we would move in which could be logistically challenging in addition to being costly.
- Even in 55+ communities, which are normally priced lower than homes outside of 55+ communities due to a more limited resale market, new construction homes around 2-2.5K sq ft with nice amenities are at least $750K, much more in some communities and/or if you want to add a pool. Barebones homes with standard options can be had for a bit less, maybe $600-$700K, but for us the finishes would be a big downgrade from where we are now.

So far we have looked at Parkland, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, W Palm Beach, Hutchinson Island, Jensen Beach, Stuart, and Port St. Lucie. You get more house for the money in Port St. Lucie and Parkland, but these areas are further from the beach. Going to Melbourne area next weekend to check out the Space Coast and Vero Beach.

If anyone has suggestions of good towns/neighborhoods to check out on the E Coast south of Melbourne or the W Coast south of Sarasota, please let me know. We are going over to the W Coast in a couple of weeks to explore SW FL.

So far we have looked at Parkland, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, W Palm Beach, Hutchinson Island, Jensen Beach, Stuart, and Port St. Lucie. You get more house for the money in Port St. Lucie and Parkland, but these areas are further from the beach.

I lived within walking distance of Parkland. I basically lived on 441 at the county line in unincorporated Palm Beach county.

I liked living there because it was affordable compared to near the beach (things don't change much in 35 years, eh?) However, I will confirm some of your concerns.

- There is ZERO sea breeze during the lazy summer times of July through Sept
- You are closer to the Everglades, more critters
- The sea breeze front sometimes sets up rain showers inland that never affect the beach (the beach, however, sometimes gets morning showers, which are better in my book)

We like N.E. Florida.

I agree about lack of summer breezes, we like the beach cities for the breezes. We have lived ~2miles from St. Augustine beach for over 15 years now and have no complaints. Far enough from the big city for it not to affect us and close enough hen we need it. Just make sure your home is Concrete Block or better, and we prefer a 150mph tile roof, so far no insurance issues as a result (Touch Wood).

Homes of 1,500-1,800 sq ft that are available in gated communities in nice areas start at around $550K but those in this price range were mostly built 20+ years ago and haven’t been updated recently. Also many in this price range don’t have pools.
- Slightly larger homes of around 2K-2.5K sq ft with nice pools in similar areas start in the $700’s but again, those need a lot of updating. We are not DIY people and would want to update flooring, cabinets, countertops, painting, etc before we would move in which could be logistically challenging in addition to being costly.
- Even in 55+ communities, which are normally priced lower than homes outside of 55+ communities due to a more limited resale market, new construction homes around 2-2.5K sq ft with nice amenities are at least $750K, much more in some communities and/or if you want to add a pool. Barebones homes with standard options can be had for a bit less, maybe $600-$700K, but for us the finishes would be a big downgrade from where we are now.

If you want a nice, 2k ish with pool, up-to-date move in ready in a gated or similar community, you do need to expect to pay around $900, or $800 in a 55+ that would be further inland.
If you have to add a pool, expect to pay $60k and it will not be fast.

It's insane. Inventory is also super low right now.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question. I have been watching FL real estate for years with the thought that I might move there some day. Many of the houses, especially older ones, have "Florida rooms" added to the back. Here's what confuses me. Many of them are furnished such that the seating faces back at the house, not out to the view of the back yard. Why??

I really appreciate the helpful comments from the FL residents. We have now explored every area we intended to visit on the East Coast except Melbourne/Space Coast. We’re going there next weekend to spend a few days. Then over to the West Coast.

So far we’ve been pleasantly surprised by the traffic (or lack thereof), the humidity which we’ve actually been fine with, and the amenities at some of the 55+ communities we visited. The biggest negative has been the thunderstorm and heavy downpours, often multiple times per day.

From a cost of living standpoint, I don’t think it’s much cheaper, at least for us, to live in South FL vs CA. Housing costs in S FL are high, groceries and restaurants cost about the same, gas prices are much cheaper ($1.50/gallon less), and homeowners insurance and property taxes are both much higher in FL, largely offsetting state income tax savings.

Just be aware, it isn't summer yet. July through September are different than May, especially this particular May which has been cool in the deep southeast.

Also, don't fret about it too much. Most visitors from CA are ready to turn around the moment they get off the plane and the humidity hits them, any month of the year. If you can handle May humidity after living in CA, you can handle it any time. It will just be a bit worse so you seek the A/C out more.

I always had problems with late September. I just couldn't believe I was waking up to 80 degrees with 98% humidity. That caused me to get homesick for the Midwest.

I really appreciate the helpful comments from the FL residents. We have now explored every area we intended to visit on the East Coast except Melbourne/Space Coast. We’re going there next weekend to spend a few days. Then over to the West Coast.

So far we’ve been pleasantly surprised by the traffic (or lack thereof), the humidity which we’ve actually been fine with, and the amenities at some of the 55+ communities we visited. The biggest negative has been the thunderstorm and heavy downpours, often multiple times per day.

From a cost of living standpoint, I don’t think it’s much cheaper, at least for us, to live in South FL vs CA. Housing costs in S FL are high, groceries and restaurants cost about the same, gas prices are much cheaper ($1.50/gallon less), and homeowners insurance and property taxes are both much higher in FL, largely offsetting state income tax savings.

I hope you have fun. I would avoid the Daytona area also. We want to downsize our home and did what you are doing some 3 years ago. We went all over the East and West Coast. We like being close to a beach and in a beachy type town, so looking inland was not an option. We have lived in Florida for long enough to know better. Unfortunately, we could not find anywhere we liked better than where we are. Perhaps we are just set in our ways. We liked the amenities on the 55+ communities and that is really the only thing we lack (by choice) in our community as club membership is optional and we would not use it enough. We live in a Private Golf Club Community. The few times we have gone there, we found the food nothing to scream about, and the people were not the type we would choose to socialize with long term.

Just be aware, it isn't summer yet. July through September are different than May, especially this particular May which has been cool in the deep southeast.

Also, don't fret about it too much. Most visitors from CA are ready to turn around the moment they get off the plane and the humidity hits them, any month of the year. If you can handle May humidity after living in CA, you can handle it any time. It will just be a bit worse so you seek the A/C out more.

I always had problems with late September. I just couldn't believe I was waking up to 80 degrees with 98% humidity. That caused me to get homesick for the Midwest.

One of the main reasons we live ~2 miles from the beach. Ocean Breezes all year round.

Back
Top Bottom