Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not doing it yet, but I'm talking with some folks who get paid to DM role playing games. It's not huge money, but you are getting paid to do your hobby, so that's pretty cool. I'm thinking about offering a paid campaign and seeing how many would be fun to handle while working my actual job, the trick is figuring out where to find people who want to pay for it haha. The person who was telling me about it just got their games filled through word of mouth it sounded like.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 08:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a summer job as a guide for a whitewater rafting company. I also occasionally work as a bicycle guide.

I enjoy both activities and have benefited from the training provided. I use the money I make (usually a few thousand a year) to buy gear or fun things. This year I bought a new bike.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

The most fun job I ever had was being a driver for Enterprise rent a car. We would move cars between regional branches, pick up new cars at dealerships and drop off cars being retired from the fleet at the resale center. Since I love to drive it was a great experience and the bunch of guys I worked with were almost all retirees and they were a blast to work with. The stories and jokes told kept us in stitches all day long.
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I know a woman who owns a small cheese and wine store. She has students at the local community college, culinary dept, work there.

She gets food and wine for her frequent home dinner parties at wholesale. She and DH write off trips to France.

She makes modest profits but loves her Lifestyle Business. I've been trying to think of something similar for myself.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
A regular job probably isn't fun. But if you can get paid for your hobby or for something you enjoy then it's not only fun, it can also pay for some of your expenses.

I love DIY but I'll never work at Home Depot. To me that's just a job and I have no interest. I also love music and sometimes get paid for performing. Technically it's a "job" but I'm not doing it for the money.

When I was among the employed I met a guy who did part-time computer programming for us. (He had been an IT guy during his career). He had previously worked at Home Depot for a while because he was into DIY, tools, and helping people to figure out what products they needed to do home maintenance jobs. Seemingly, a dream part-time job for a retiree with his interests. But he had quit for for two reasons:

- standing on the concrete floors for hours on end was a killer.
- they didn't make out the work schedules far enough in advance for him to do any planning for other activities. And they expected him to be available on very short notice to fill in if another employee had an "issue". Inconsistent with the retired lifestyle.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:09 PM   #26

To the utter horror of my wife I did a some Uber driving for a few years when it was new and edgy in town, a little bit illegal.

Had some adventures and conversations I will never forget. A lot of drama out there.

My favourite schtick was 15 minutes to change your life.

It was like those airplane conversations you can have knowing you will never see the person again.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

- Spent a year or so writing about an online game, made low 5 digits, had fun, learned a lot, and was flown out to the coast 3x for conferences. Then the publisher wanted me to go full time so I bailed.

- Mystery shopped for a few years...pocket change to a few hundred dollars a day depending. Ranging from inventory checks to employee evaluations to going undercover videoing tours to even a church service evaluation

- DW has helped out at a chocolate store during holidays. Typical part-time wages but a ton of perks in leftovers, testing, ability to give out gifts / samples, etc.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #28

Not really relevant but while in high school I worked at a small pharmacy doing everything from cleaning, running the register, delivering drugs, filling prescriptions, etc. One of our best selling items were Russell Stover chocolates. They are dated and removed to be destroyed at their due date. We'd hide our favorites so when the RS guy came around and wrote us a credit we'd then eat our chocolates. As a teenage guy I got lots of dates with expired chocolates....
Old 10-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
[/B]

When I was among the employed I met a guy who did part-time computer programming for us. (He had been an IT guy during his career). He had previously worked at Home Depot for a while because he was into DIY, tools, and helping people to figure out what products they needed to do home maintenance jobs. Seemingly, a dream part-time job for a retiree with his interests. But he had quit for for two reasons:

- standing on the concrete floors for hours on end was a killer.
- they didn't make out the work schedules far enough in advance for him to do any planning for other activities. And they expected him to be available on very short notice to fill in if another employee had an "issue". Inconsistent with the retired lifestyle.
There was a fella that I used to fly with back in the day...he was the chief enlisted guy at the base. When he retired from the AF, he most certainly could have gone off and had a fantastic bridge career but instead worked at Lowe's in the wood cutting department. I chatted with him for a bit and he said that it was mindless w*rk which he appreciated. He said it was nice to come to w*rk, clock in, do your j*b and then go home. He seemed pretty happy but not sure if he's still there or how long he did it.

Personally, my last paying j*b was the best and it was doing flight testing for the Air Force. Most of the time, I was arguing with the mega contractor about their shortcomings, but on the occasion we got to go out and do *actual* flight testing and it was a blast. It is quite thrilling to take a massive airplane and exercise it to the limits while putting on a pretty good airshow for those that could see us. Unfortunately, flying was less than 25% of the work, so in the end...it was just a j*b.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I have been teaching a online college class for 8 years. Luckily when my undergraduate class ended they had a graduate course they needed me to teach. I also do some consulting in my field.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

Good to see some sports officials on here. I retired into 2 "fun" (and paying) jobs, one of which is officiating junior and collegiate tennis, and the other being a tour director (leading group tours for a tour operator). The former is picking up steam again, while the latter is mothballed right now.
cantfindmyglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I've become an author in my "old age". I'm having fun creating people and situations but it's probably not for everyone.

Eight fiction books published in Kindle format in four years. Two of them actually doing OK for an unknown author (1800 copies sold of one, 600 of the other). Certainly not making me rich but covering the utilities some months. The research needed for some of the topics is keeping my brain agile: Do you know how they tested diabetics' blood sugar levels in the days before glucose meters? I know more than I may ever need but it makes the book I'm currently writing more accurate.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #33

There are fun jobs?
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

I program Firesticks and add free apps as well as a paid subscription from a 3rd party that provides live and PPV channels.

I like the tech part of things and I can jailbreak and load apps in less than a half hour.

I sell locally which keeps up my social life and I make myself available for ongoing support. I’ve also sold to family and friends via Facebook and Nextdoor.

I don’t make a killing and there are plenty of dry spells but I really enjoy doing it...it’s not work to me. Helps give me some mad money for odds and ends here and there.��
Elliotgb183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I write and edit old-car articles for a magazine. It's fun to research automotive history, and I get paid $200 a pop for a few hours' work.

One of my go-to sources is an online library of factory auto brochures from years gone by. Maybe some other forum members would enjoy looking up the literature for a car they drove earlier in their lives. Here's the link: Classic car brochures and owners manuals - The Old Car Manual Project
Very cool.... I wonder if this is one of the sites where Mike Joy gets all his info.... (FYI, I'm watching him on Barret Jackson right now...)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

I am doing both. I volunteer at our local Historical Museum working a few hours a week selling tickets and in the gift shop plus I clean 5 hours per week for pay at a still active church that has been meeting in the same space since 1869. The restored museum is in the space Jesse James and his gang met their fate in 1876. the money is minimal but does help cover some extras. I retired three years ago at 62 and DH was a stay at home mom and will begin drawing SS in 2 or three years at 64 or 65.
mcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Fun Jobs!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:15 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Fun Jobs!

In retirement I didnt need a "job" that required me to work on a schedule but I do have "fun" because my jobs produce money, hahaha!
I have painted canvasses and sculptures for many neighbors who seem to love them. I also follow the stock market with a fixed amount of cash that I can
"play with". I find this quite stimulating and have learned a lot plus made some money.
I think any job that doesnt have a lot of responsibility, gives great pleasure and hobbies that produce some income are all wonderful.
Santee92071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Teaching university students. Online since March. Keeps the mind nimble and feels like giving back. They pay me a few bucks, socializing with other faculty, free access to campus facilities, don't need additional health coverage. I do some other consulting work which is stimulating but sometimes not so much fun.
Same here. Been doing it 9+ years now. Keeps my mind engaged, having fun learning new subjects (I teach computer science).

Only danger: I was a lowly adjunct, but got suckered into full time (now 5+ years ago).

On the other hand, "full time" still gives me some of May, all of June, July, August off along with about a month long break between fall and spring terms. If that weren't true, I wouldn't like it as much.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Ski instructor. The resort I work at gives away free lessons to the first 10 people in each of the levels between level 5 and 9 (10 is the highest and no one, including instructors, are 10's) The reason for the free lessons is that marketing discovered a lot of people plateau on their skills without further coaching. They then get bored and drop the sport. Think of it like riding a roller coaster; at first it's terrifying, then it's fun, then is o.k., then it's boring. So you find a more thrilling roller coaster or you quit riding. I will start out asking the group what they would like to work on and what is doable based on conditions that day; power, trees, bumps, carving, etc. Then off we go! The lesson is an hour long and we can usually get in 2 runs, sometimes 3. As a class, we cut to the front of lift lines, so there's that. Throughout the lessons I'll give tips. Like; show your palms to the downhill of the mountain, not your knuckles. This causes elbows to drop in closer to the body and keeps mass over the skis. Or I'll describe a carve as a western where the bar fight has you diving through the window. That body position has the skier weighting the new, downhill ski to initiate a new turn on terrain that is steep and somewhat intimidating where they may lean back against the mountain instead of getting perpendicular to the mountain. The leap pressure is called 'up unloading' and is very useful when you need to clear small obstacles quickly, like a bare spot or rock. And on it goes as I give them the techniques of slight changes that improve their skills. How to pressure turns with just your big toe, how to steer using your knees, how to stay in the fall line on a bump run and skiing just the tips of the ski while staying off the tails in order to do so. How to control speed and float in deep powder, how to do advanced stuff like cornice jump off a ledge and tip the skis into the fall line or how to ski the terrain parks for the big jumps or half pipe.
Since the lessons are free, they usually tip well too!
Welcome to my office! How do you like the view?
Sounds like fun. I did do this a bit (part time) while working at mega-corp. Mostly teaching children (some beginners, some better).

Gave it up because at that time, getting ski time was precious, and I decided I didn't want to have to be there giving lessons when I could be out doing whatever I wanted. But I do have a friend that still does this and absolutely loves it.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #40

When I retired 4 years ago I took a 60 day job at an University Ag Research Station. All I could work was 60 days and got in on hand planting, caring and harvesting agriculture plants. A lot of great exercise like hoeing, weeding, watering, and taking care of plots of every grain and farm plant you can name. I did this gig for three summers for only 60 days and those days stretched out over 4 months so not an everyday job. Some weeks 2 days or 3 and they let me set my own days, so worked very well for me.

It was very hard work in the outdoors all day but love it!
street is offline   Reply With Quote