Fun jobs

Anybody ever tried being a tax preparer? I've been considering this for when I FIRE. I would want to do seasonal....January - May. Not likely to be "FUN" but something to do to get some extra cash and doesn't interfere with good weather months.

A number of us on this site are volunteers through AARP TaxAide. No pay, but very rewarding.

It's been a long time, but after I FIREd, I did a part time gig of driving dealer trade ins to the auction and also repositioning cars for the dealer. It paid almost nothing (15cents/mile). BUT it was kinda fun. During the milling about before and after, there was a social time with folks around my own age. There were folks I could tell NEEDED the 15 cents and more folks that just had nothing better to do. I really enjoyed repositioning because then DW and I could either take two cars and come back together or leave together and bring back two cars. We'd always stop for lunch (and blow our combined travel money for the most part.)
I've occasionally thought about doing this because I like to drive and there's a large auto auction business nearby. But traveling in convoy at the whim of a leader takes away some of the charm. Alternately, running parts to mechanics for an auto supply house seems like it might be fun ... but it would put a cramp in my free time.

Only lasted a summer. Got to be a bit of a drag and - believe it or not - there was pecking order and politics among the drivers! Blew my mind, but I suppose everyone wants what ever little bit of power they can get. The "leader" (because he'd been doing it the longest) INSISTED that we stay together rather than driving a sensible speed with traffic and show up within a few minutes. SO, tail-end Charlie was either on the brake, so as not to run up next-to-last's tail pipe, or flooring it to try to catch up. The leader never used cruise control nor seemed to try to go a constant speed. If he could, he'd go just as fast as he could and we were all supposed to try to keep up. I'm sure from the air, it would have looked like a snake which had just swallowed a meal and was then set upon by a bigger snake.

BUT while it lasted, it was a nice diversion so I'd say "Fun job" but YMMV.

No matter where you go, there's always an "empire builder." A local club I belong to has a president who will probably die in office. She's a pain.

I've occasionally thought about doing this because I like to drive and there's a large auto auction business nearby. But traveling in convoy at the whim of a leader takes away some of the charm. Alternately, running parts to mechanics for an auto supply house seems like it might be fun ... but it would put a cramp in my free time.

I know a local guy who is retired and he drives for a medical lab. He does rounds to the various spots on the island where folks get their blood drawn (or other bio samples). He takes them to the central lab.

The vehicle is supplied by the company - no need to drive his own vehicle. I don't like traffic here, but if it were a j*b, I suppose I could deal with it - but I don't want a j*b. The good thing is that you would be more-or-less on your own. I haven't asked if he has a schedule he must follow. I don't think I'd like that but YMMV.

I picked up a part time gig at the local gym where I am a member. It's fun, free membership and the $13 per hour is my spending money through the week. The manager hired me right on the spot when she said she prefers more mature retired people to work in the gym.

I picked up a part time gig at the local gym where I am a member. It's fun, free membership and the $13 per hour is my spending money through the week. The manager hired me right on the spot when she said she prefers more mature retired people to work in the gym.

With the explosion of COVID cases, I can't fathom that your new gig would be fun, AT ALL. :cool:

My plan is to do some dog walking or pet setting. I figure I can take only the jobs (and clients) that I want, stay active, and not have to worry about office politics.

Possibly do some dog training (I’m certified) but that can be frustrating because you’re really training the owners. And in half of the instances they don’t listen to you, or don’t want to hear what you’re saying.

While I'm newly retired, I am hoping do keep myself busy with a few part-time jobs that I enjoy. First, I'm an MSF Ridercoach and teach motorcycle riding, next I'm applying to some local colleges to teach some business management classes, and third is to do some call center consulting, which I really enjoy.

These are all varied enough to not get bored with any of them and allow me to work as much or as little as I want without the need to make the previous income.

We had a couple of web businesses that did well but working on them was starting to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day. Plus all the regulations about cookies and stuff made compliance hard for little mom and pop businesses. We may start them up again now since we're home more anyway now and it will seem fresh again since it has been awhile.

In the mean time I used to just look for deals, odds and ends way to make money, credit card hacks, seat filler tickets, produce reviews, recycling rewards, etc. Sometimes I could get up to $2K a month freebies and discounts. I've cut back on that now as many of the freebies were event tickets and now there are no live events, plus I'm trying to declutter so I don't want a lot of stuff around.

Now my hobby / job is to live as sustainably as possible and lower our overhead. Every $1K a year off our annual expenses = $20K - 30K in after tax money over the rest of our retirement. Yesterday I worked out a baseline weekly grocery list with a lot of organic produce and wild caught seafood for $5 a day each. Plus I added new plants to my indoor herb garden.

AKC performance judge
I teach K9 scent work classes as well.

Both are very fun to me, probably don’t sound fun to a normal person :)

I've become an author in my "old age". I'm having fun creating people and situations but it's probably not for everyone.

Eight fiction books published in Kindle format in four years. Two of them actually doing OK for an unknown author (1800 copies sold of one, 600 of the other). Certainly not making me rich but covering the utilities some months. The research needed for some of the topics is keeping my brain agile: Do you know how they tested diabetics' blood sugar levels in the days before glucose meters? I know more than I may ever need but it makes the book I'm currently writing more accurate.

That sounds like fun. How’d you get started?

Back
Top Bottom