Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

W*rking at a golf course, doing a little bit of everything. Years ago when Id been laid off from my j*b I considered a radical career change. I spoke with one of the local PGA pros; he was always very light-hearted and relaxed in conversation.

When I mentioned my interest he turned deadly serious and told me in no uncertain terms that I did not want to w*rk in the golf industry.

Fast forward 15 years and I see how hes correct: I wouldnt want to do this as a means of supporting my family. However, it fulfills a dream Ive had of w*rking in the sports industry - and I can walk away whenever I want!
ears20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 05:03 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I apologize for mostly lurking, and thank you all as I've learned so much from these forums.

I"m a retired classroom teacher. Now I teach beginners only to play guitar, ukulele and occasionally bass. I"m not a great musician but I"ve lots of patience and love doing this, especially as there's no micromanagement when it's my own business. Before Covid I would go into the schools but only after hours so I wouldn't have to be "observed".

I don't like teaching online as much as in person, but it works and I"ve saved enough money not paying for a studio that I dropped my rates and make more than before Covid!

It's great to earn this extra pocket money. I change what I call it based on the needs of the week: Starbucks money, travel money, restaurant visits, that new "X" I want...
bzribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired in 2018, mega-corp called me back in June 2020 to help the firmware development effort for the up coming mainframe. Although, I loved all the travelings during the 2 years that I retired, but I have to say - I missed works sometimes. Anyway, I've been having fun being back for more actions.

Yes, it is work, yet fun works.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a photographer, focusing on portraits of rescued animals. I mostly use my skills on a volunteer basis (helping rescue organizations) but I also earn a little money on the side from selling prints, selling books, licensing images for magazines, and sometimes winning prize money from exhibitions. Once I retire, I could picture myself doing the occasional paid photo session, plus continuing with my fine art business.

Also, in my day job (on the communications side in financial services), I'm surprised and disappointed by how bad the stock imagery is for my industry. So I've been thinking of combining my knowledge of the industry with my artistic skills to develop more relevant stock images.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Last winter I picked up about 12 hours a week at a ski shop. Loved 40% off of merchandise, and loved helping customers (except for those few!). I didn’t like standing around when business was slow, though. Laid off at the start of the pandemic but I was eligible for unemployment due to my old job (that I retired from)!

I’m thinking of studying for a real estate license. I love nothing more than perusing listings and visiting open houses. I understand it would include a whole lot of networking and marketing, so I have to think about it carefully. I’m moving to a new area so I will need something more to get me out of the house and seeing people.

Big change from forensic psychology!
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

I fired myself from the car dealership as a title clerk. Then got my NYS realtor license- I work when I want, still get to meet lots of people and interesting houses, and make money.
LYOUNG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's been a long time, but after I FIREd, I did a part time gig of driving dealer trade ins to the auction and also repositioning cars for the dealer. It paid almost nothing (15cents/mile). BUT it was kinda fun. During the milling about before and after, there was a social time with folks around my own age. There were folks I could tell NEEDED the 15 cents and more folks that just had nothing better to do. I really enjoyed repositioning because then DW and I could either take two cars and come back together or leave together and bring back two cars. We'd always stop for lunch (and blow our combined travel money for the most part.)

Only lasted a summer. Got to be a bit of a drag and - believe it or not - there was pecking order and politics among the drivers! Blew my mind, but I suppose everyone wants what ever little bit of power they can get. The "leader" (because he'd been doing it the longest) INSISTED that we stay together rather than driving a sensible speed with traffic and show up within a few minutes. SO, tail-end Charlie was either on the brake, so as not to run up next-to-last's tail pipe, or flooring it to try to catch up. The leader never used cruise control nor seemed to try to go a constant speed. If he could, he'd go just as fast as he could and we were all supposed to try to keep up. I'm sure from the air, it would have looked like a snake which had just swallowed a meal and was then set upon by a bigger snake.

BUT while it lasted, it was a nice diversion so I'd say "Fun job" but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Fun jobs
Old 10-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Fun jobs

I work at a winery doing tastings. I love the job, I meet some really interesting people. We are a small winery about 2 hours north of NYC so we get a lot of people from the city, CT, and NJ. Our winery also owns wineries in Italy, and CA. We also own a vineyard in CA.
rrs26ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked as a temp for Williams-Sonoma for 7 Christmas seasons, until I had finished upgrading everything in my kitchen at a 40% discount. It was fun, both my co-workers and the customers were in happy holiday moods.

I just started a very, very part time job with a company that does cat sitting and dog walking. I figured it would get me out of the house, while still enabling me to be Covid-safe. They provide PPE and there are rarely any other people involved.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs26ja View Post
I work at a winery doing tastings. I love the job, I meet some really interesting people. We are a small winery about 2 hours north of NYC so we get a lot of people from the city, CT, and NJ. Our winery also owns wineries in Italy, and CA. We also own a vineyard in CA.
Would this be the Brotherhood Winery I used to visit when I lived in Ct during the 1970's?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody ever tried being a tax preparer? I've been considering this for when I FIRE. I would want to do seasonal....January - May. Not likely to be "FUN" but something to do to get some extra cash and doesn't interfere with good weather months.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
Anybody ever tried being a tax preparer? I've been considering this for when I FIRE. I would want to do seasonal....January - May. Not likely to be "FUN" but something to do to get some extra cash and doesn't interfere with good weather months.

A number of us on this site are volunteers through AARP TaxAide. No pay, but very rewarding.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
It's been a long time, but after I FIREd, I did a part time gig of driving dealer trade ins to the auction and also repositioning cars for the dealer. It paid almost nothing (15cents/mile). BUT it was kinda fun. During the milling about before and after, there was a social time with folks around my own age. There were folks I could tell NEEDED the 15 cents and more folks that just had nothing better to do. I really enjoyed repositioning because then DW and I could either take two cars and come back together or leave together and bring back two cars. We'd always stop for lunch (and blow our combined travel money for the most part.)
I've occasionally thought about doing this because I like to drive and there's a large auto auction business nearby. But traveling in convoy at the whim of a leader takes away some of the charm. Alternately, running parts to mechanics for an auto supply house seems like it might be fun ... but it would put a cramp in my free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Only lasted a summer. Got to be a bit of a drag and - believe it or not - there was pecking order and politics among the drivers! Blew my mind, but I suppose everyone wants what ever little bit of power they can get. The "leader" (because he'd been doing it the longest) INSISTED that we stay together rather than driving a sensible speed with traffic and show up within a few minutes. SO, tail-end Charlie was either on the brake, so as not to run up next-to-last's tail pipe, or flooring it to try to catch up. The leader never used cruise control nor seemed to try to go a constant speed. If he could, he'd go just as fast as he could and we were all supposed to try to keep up. I'm sure from the air, it would have looked like a snake which had just swallowed a meal and was then set upon by a bigger snake.

BUT while it lasted, it was a nice diversion so I'd say "Fun job" but YMMV.
No matter where you go, there's always an "empire builder." A local club I belong to has a president who will probably die in office. She's a pain.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I've occasionally thought about doing this because I like to drive and there's a large auto auction business nearby. But traveling in convoy at the whim of a leader takes away some of the charm. Alternately, running parts to mechanics for an auto supply house seems like it might be fun ... but it would put a cramp in my free time.
I know a local guy who is retired and he drives for a medical lab. He does rounds to the various spots on the island where folks get their blood drawn (or other bio samples). He takes them to the central lab.

The vehicle is supplied by the company - no need to drive his own vehicle. I don't like traffic here, but if it were a j*b, I suppose I could deal with it - but I don't want a j*b. The good thing is that you would be more-or-less on your own. I haven't asked if he has a schedule he must follow. I don't think I'd like that but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:03 AM   #55
gone traveling

I picked up a part time gig at the local gym where I am a member. It's fun, free membership and the $13 per hour is my spending money through the week. The manager hired me right on the spot when she said she prefers more mature retired people to work in the gym.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
I picked up a part time gig at the local gym where I am a member. It's fun, free membership and the $13 per hour is my spending money through the week. The manager hired me right on the spot when she said she prefers more mature retired people to work in the gym.
With the explosion of COVID cases, I can't fathom that your new gig would be fun, AT ALL.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:53 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

My plan is to do some dog walking or pet setting. I figure I can take only the jobs (and clients) that I want, stay active, and not have to worry about office politics.

Possibly do some dog training (I’m certified) but that can be frustrating because you’re really training the owners. And in half of the instances they don’t listen to you, or don’t want to hear what you’re saying.
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:44 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

While I'm newly retired, I am hoping do keep myself busy with a few part-time jobs that I enjoy. First, I'm an MSF Ridercoach and teach motorcycle riding, next I'm applying to some local colleges to teach some business management classes, and third is to do some call center consulting, which I really enjoy.

These are all varied enough to not get bored with any of them and allow me to work as much or as little as I want without the need to make the previous income.
GATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

We had a couple of web businesses that did well but working on them was starting to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day. Plus all the regulations about cookies and stuff made compliance hard for little mom and pop businesses. We may start them up again now since we're home more anyway now and it will seem fresh again since it has been awhile.

In the mean time I used to just look for deals, odds and ends way to make money, credit card hacks, seat filler tickets, produce reviews, recycling rewards, etc. Sometimes I could get up to $2K a month freebies and discounts. I've cut back on that now as many of the freebies were event tickets and now there are no live events, plus I'm trying to declutter so I don't want a lot of stuff around.

Now my hobby / job is to live as sustainably as possible and lower our overhead. Every $1K a year off our annual expenses = $20K - 30K in after tax money over the rest of our retirement. Yesterday I worked out a baseline weekly grocery list with a lot of organic produce and wild caught seafood for $5 a day each. Plus I added new plants to my indoor herb garden.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

AKC performance judge
I teach K9 scent work classes as well.

Both are very fun to me, probably don’t sound fun to a normal person
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote