General Update

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi Guys,

I'm going to make a few posts asking for advice, so I thought I'd first "give back" with some updates that some might find useful.

Blood Pressure

To follow up on this thread, my blood pressure has been nice and low, averaging about 127/78. I determined that my old procedure of measuring just after waking up in the morning, and only sitting for 1.5 minutes introduced too much variability. For standard measurements, I now take it around an hour after eating breakfast, and while I've been sitting at the computer.

I no longer drastically reduce my sodium intake, as recent studies don't support that as reducing all-cause mortality (as someone mentioned in the above thread). But I still season things with "No Salt," which allows me to say things like "I didn't get No Salt at the store today."

Here's a scatterplot. Don't read much into the lower BP in the afternoon. That's likely caused by the fact that I've often taken a long bike ride during the day.

3zY6cnR.jpg

I highly recommend this BP monitor. It's rated as accurate as arm cuff monitors, and it's extremely convenient.

I'm also intrigued by the idea that sunshine causes lower BP in the summer, and not because of Vitamin D, but because of this:

Richard Weller: Could the sun be good for your heart? - YouTube

Finances

When I retired at 53, I was wondering whether I'd have to do a 72t to make it to 59.5, but now at 60, we still have enough in after tax accounts for several more years, thanks to the market ([-]whee![/-]).

Since our money only has to last until I take SS at the max age, we have too much money, and are doing pretty well at spending it (that is, less frugal now). It seems that starting in January, Obamacare will save us $900 per month, so we really need to spend more.

Posting Images

Look into imgur.com (pronounced imager.com). Combined with this app, you can simply right click on an image file, choose Send to/Imgur, and you will get a link to the image for posting.

Car

Our Echo still feels like new at 217,000 miles, but I'm kind of hoping something will go wrong with it so we can buy a Leaf or Tesla.

Biking and Exercise

I've been biking a lot more (Lena, too).

8OFkaX7.jpg

I met DD Jenny for a century in the wine country:

VjXOQ1k.jpg

My current view is that the best benefit of exercise comes from some days of long slow exercise (like riding for five hours at an exertion level similar to brisk walking), and other days with high intensity intervals. I think there may be something to the "chronic cardio" thing.

Low Carb

We still eat very low carb (3+ years now). I can go on a 65 mile bike ride and eat only a few grams of carb. It gives us a "get out of jail" card for dentistry -- no problems and checkups only once per year.

Hope those things are useful!

Al

Great to hear from you Al, and glad to hear you and Lena are enjoying the outdoors!

Great update, Al. You and Lena look quite fit and happy on your bikes.

Hey Al, nice to hear from you! I'm glad to see that Lena is doing better after her terrible bike accident earlier this year and that she's back in the saddle after her scare.

Woo-hoo! Great to read the update.

Your BP looks pretty good to me, most of the time anyway. Hopefully your doctor will think it is acceptable. I would imagine that all the cardio you do must be tremendously helpful.

I agree about the market - - - Wheee!!! It has been such a blessing to have this market boom during my first years of retirement. So what cool goodies have you been buying now that you are being less frugal? Anything fun?

I can't even begin to imagine you and Lena biking even more than you used to. What a wonderfully healthy retirement habit to have developed.

Stick around for a while Al. Use an RSS reader to skim new posts if you need to avoid wasting too much time.

Oh, goody, you whee'd. I'd been hoping for a dip, so I could buy some more index funds prior to retiring.:LOL:

Amethyst

I agree about the market - - - Wheee!!! It .

Hey Al - glad Lena is back on her bike after the agricultural event. Your rental house horror get sold to some nice quiet recluses? Good to see a post fro you.

Your family is looking great. I am glad that Lena decided to keep bike riding. Count me as another one that is glad that you posted again. Hope you continue.

Thanks for the update Al, good to hear from you.

Hi Guys,

I'm going to make a few posts asking for advice, so I thought I'd first "give back" with some updates that some might find useful.

Ask away, Al. You know we will respond - even if we don't know anything (it's the internet, after all).

So good to hear from you and to know your FIRE plans are not only on track, but ahead of the game (who was the last member to suggest they needed to spend MORE - very refreshing!) We have missed you and look forward to whatever time you have available to the forum. Aloha

Thanks for the warm reception!

So what cool goodies have you been buying now that you are being less frugal? Anything fun?

Let's see. I just ordered a Nexus 7 to replace my iPod Touch, and I didn't get a used one. When there was a power outage here, we drove up to Gold Beach, OR, and stayed in a cozy lodge on the ocean ("Ireland's Rustic Lodges).

JttwNiY.jpg

7CiFicj.jpg

Got a new bike jacket even though my 21 year old jacket was still usable. Packages arrive from Amazon pretty often. Lena or I will order a glass of wine at a restaurant even though it costs $8 (250% more than a bottle of the wine we usually drink). When the shop called with a list of $800 worth of maintenance items on the car, I didn't try to figure out which things I could do myself, I just said "Do it all!" We go out to fancy restaurants more often, and don't always split the meals. We turn the heat on more often, though we still heat mostly with wood. I keep in mind WWBGD (What Would Bill Gates Do?).

Yes, I'm a recovering tightwad.

Let's see. I just ordered a Nexus 7 to replace my iPod Touch, and I didn't get a used one. When there was a power outage here, we drove up to Gold Beach, OR, and stayed in a cozy lodge on the ocean ("Ireland's Rustic Lodges).

Got a new bike jacket even though my 21 year old jacket was still usable. Packages arrive from Amazon pretty often. Lena or I will order a glass of wine at a restaurant even though it costs $8 (250% more than a bottle of the wine we usually drink). When the shop called with a list of $800 worth of maintenance items on the car, I didn't try to figure out which things I could do myself, I just said "Do it all!" We go out to fancy restaurants more often, and don't always split the meals. We turn the heat on more often, though we still heat mostly with wood. I keep in mind WWBGD (What Would Bill Gates Do?).

Who the hell are you and what have you done with Lena and T-Al ?!?!

... but now at 60, we still have enough in after tax accounts for several more years, thanks to the market ([-]whee![/-]). ...

Al

Welcome back! When I saw 'thanks to the market', I thought you meant 'flea market'! :)

A new Nexus 7:confused:!!!! Not a garage sale cast off, with duct tape on the charger cord? Please tell me it was a refurb, or I'll report this post - I think your account has been hacked! (whoops, kinda cross-posted that thought with REW...)

-ERD50

Next you are gonna tell us you aren't buying thrift store pants with weird zipper problems!!
Thanks for the update, though, and delighted to hear you are soon well.

Thanks for the warm reception!

That is so cool! I am glad you are enjoying spending a little more these days and can afford to do so.

Me too, and I can relate to the packages arriving from Amazon pretty often. Sometimes I just browse on Amazon, for fun, which is something I seldom dared to do back in the accumulation phase.

Thanks for the uplifting update, Al!
Great to hear you're doing so well & enjoying life.

Agree with notion that draconian reductions in sodium are generally not necessary- esp for those who exercise regularly (thus lose more sodium than couch potatoes).
Not sure I would go overboard with the advice to get sun to benefit the heart. Lotsa sun increases risk of skin cancer.
Your exercise outlook for general fitness follows the classic run training advice "run lots, run slow, and sometimes fast". Works for me, too. Particularly in avoiding those nagging overuse injuries.
I also enjoy distance cycling, but must confess to wasting too much $$ on bikes/gear. BTW- Is that an old Allez?

Glad ACA is going to treat you to some cost savings. Unfortunately, looks like I'll be among those "lucky" 6% (according to this week's HHS update) whose area will see INcreased HI premiums under Obamacare vs CBO's earlier estimates :(

Sounds awesome!

But I'm afraid you might be suffering from senile dementia. Saying things like "I didn't get no salt at the store today" and spending money like a drunken nuclear submariner?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom