Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
WhenIsItTime,

I put together a Dura-Pro 10x10x10 golf cage with a 3' x 5' Ultimate Monster Tee Golf Turf mat. I also purchased a SkyTrak launch monitor. I am lucky to have a garage with an extra bay.

All in all I have loved the cage and mat. I have had some issues with network connectivity to the SkyTrak and really only use the practice range and not the golf course simulations. In fact, I rarely use it. I will probably not renew the game improvement package for the coming year. I believe that the 'Basic" unit comes with the driving range software which is all that I use.

I bought the cage and mat thru Amazon.

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/dura-pro-high-velocity-supreme-commercial-golf-cage-10x10x10/

https://www.allturfmats.com/product-p/3x5ttgolf-atm.htm

I love being able to go into the garage rain or shine and hit balls

Thanks for reply! Appreciate the links. My buddy in another state just bought a GC2 device and is setting up the hitting bay. I’ll be following his progress. I’d have to setup in my garage and space still borderline. While I’m a 9 handicap, I’m analytical and would want accuracy and fun factor to get use out of it.

New Irons

I’ve been considering new irons for a while; have been playing Adams IDEA a12 OS hybrid irons for several years. I like the Adams but, technology has improved so, I thought I’d trade up. I went to GolfTec (I’m a big fan) for an iron fitting and chose the Ping G710s. They were the clear winner. I don’t generate that much club head speed but, the G710s added 20 yds to my 7-iron; yep, 20 yds! I was amazed. And, the spin & decent angle are better, dispersion is the same, and I like the look and feel of them. Can’t wait to try them out but, I’m going to have to because Ping is very backed up, and is forecasting 12 wks delivery time. That actually might work out just fine; have me in new irons at the beginning of next year’s golf season. I bought GW-7 and will purchase the Ping G710 6-4 hybrid when they’re released next Spring. In the meantime, I’ll continue using my Adams 6-4 hybrids.

https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/g710

I’ve been considering new irons for a while; have been playing Adams IDEA a12 OS hybrid irons for several years. I like the Adams but, technology has improved so, I thought I’d trade up. I went to GolfTec (I’m a big fan) for an iron fitting and chose the Ping G710s. They were the clear winner. I don’t generate that much club head speed but, the G710s added 20 yds to my 7-iron; yep, 20 yds! I was amazed. And, the spin & decent angle are better, dispersion is the same, and I like the look and feel of them. Can’t wait to try them out but, I’m going to have to because Ping is very backed up, and is forecasting 12 wks delivery time. That actually might work out just fine; have me in new irons at the beginning of next year’s golf season. I bought GW-7 and will purchase the Ping G710 6-4 hybrid when they’re released next Spring. In the meantime, I’ll continue using my Adams 6-4 hybrids.

Outstanding, new clubs are fun though waiting 12 weeks would be difficult. Ping is one of the best brands there is for good reason IMO. Enjoy!

My game is back to where it was 12 years ago when I gave it up. With two new hips, and some age, my swing is slower and that's good. I'm still experimenting with iron shot distance, which is clearly shorter than the good old days.

I have been playing every week since September and we will be continuing through our moderate winter here in south Texas.

I dropped my private club membership back when I quit but there are some really nice public and semi-private courses to play around here. It's not worth it to re-join the old club here now that there are many more members than there were 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I’ve been considering new irons for a while; have been playing Adams IDEA a12 OS hybrid irons for several years. I like the Adams but, technology has improved so, I thought I’d trade up. I went to GolfTec (I’m a big fan) for an iron fitting and chose the Ping G710s. They were the clear winner. I don’t generate that much club head speed but, the G710s added 20 yds to my 7-iron; yep, 20 yds!...

Now you have me thinking! I had new irons in the back of my mind and I happend to have the same clubs as you! And it seems that over the years that I have had them that I had lost 10-20 yds.

And I'm turning 65 soon and I deserve a nice milestone birthday present.

Look up the loft of the 7 iron in each set. You mind find ~2 degree difference explaining the distance. That’s half a club interval. I’ve played 3 sets of TaylorMade game improvement irons over the past 15 years and their lofts have increased by this much. Another reason why many sets don’t include a 3 iron any more.

Look up the loft of the 7 iron in each set. You mind find ~2 degree difference explaining the distance. That’s half a club interval. I’ve played 3 sets of TaylorMade game improvement irons over the past 15 years and their lofts have increased by this much. Another reason why many sets don’t include a 3 iron any more.
I’m finding the IDEA a12 OS hybrid 7i loft spec is 32 degrees.
The Ping G710 7i loft is 29.5 degrees.
A little more than half a club?

Yeah, but for me each club is ~10 yards... so a 1/2 club less loft would only account for about 5 yards of additional distance and Huston said that he got 20 yards additional distance, so it seems like there is more than just loft involved.

I love those Adam's A12 os hybrids. I still play the 4 and 5h:facepalm:

Yeah, but for me each club is ~10 yards... so a 1/2 club less loft would only account for about 5 yards of additional distance and Huston said that he got 20 yards additional distance, so it seems like there is more than just loft involved.

Could be a better shaft fit. But if he didn't check his old clubs on the same monitor he got fit for the new clubs on it could just be a juiced monitor and he won't see that distance gain on the course. 20 yards on a 7 iron is huge.

I’m finding the IDEA a12 OS hybrid 7i loft spec is 32 degrees.

The Ping G710 7i loft is 29.5 degrees.

A little more than half a club?

On the Ping’s, I see the 8I as 34 degrees, 7I as 29.5 and 6I as 26. That’s a 4.5 and 3.5 differential. So yes, 2.5 degrees stronger is more than 1/2 club. Not uncommon. Hopefully you find new iron more forgiving so the stronger loft is same or more accurate.

went out Sunday and hit a perfect shot by the hole on 1, only to find it bounce 30 yards in the rough behind the frozen green - Think I'll pony up $1K for 3 months of golftec LOL

Now you have me thinking! I had new irons in the back of my mind and I happend to have the same clubs as you! And it seems that over the years that I have had them that I had lost 10-20 yds.

And I'm turning 65 soon and I deserve a nice milestone birthday present.

best thing I did was ditch my 4i and 5i and added in 5h and 6h. I still carry 6-gw and 3h,4h.

Big_Hitter,

A few years back I would have bundled up and played more of these chilly days, but holy moly it's too cold for me now.

I hit my Ping hybrids (3,4,5) better then the G30 irons. Rarely even use the 6i.

Big_Hitter,

A few years back I would have bundled up and played more of these chilly days, but holy moly it's too cold for me now.

I hit my Ping hybrids (3,4,5) better then the G30 irons. Rarely even use the 6i.

I blocked my tee shot on 9 yesterday (blue tees) and it careened off the frozen hill into the fairway - this is nuts

I had a tee time today, until I saw that it was only going to be about 38 degrees at the time with a little breeze. Tomorrow is supposed to be a tad bit warmer.

I have to admit that it is fun to see some record (distance) shots when the ground is frozen.

Have fun today.

Been gone a while, from the forum & the course (doing PT to recover from a knee injury). But, re the posts about the G710s: I agree that loft is part of the extra distance but, certainly not all 20 yds of it. I started the fitting with my Adams 7i & we compared from there so, it’s not anything hokey with the monitor. Also, note that my spin and descent angle were better so, better ability to hold the green even with more distance. And, my dispersion was the same as my Adams so, not losing any accuracy. Shafts are graphite on both Adams & Ping so, not likely that’s causing much difference. Anyway, how I hit em on the course is what counts, and I have to wait a while for that. I’ll report back when I’ve played them.

aggravated my sciatic nerve today, golfing in 39F weather...ski hill opens wednesday LOL

My club covered the greens today. Cold for us this time of year. Suppose to be high 50's by Thursday so maybe I'll get to play then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom