Good Things about Being Retired

Not religious, me, but I understand that the lists he supposedly received were prewritten. :cool:

Well, that's even better for us list-makers, then. We are truly made in the image of God, the original Maker of Lists.

I forget what Charleston Heston did exactly, but he transcribed them, right? God didn't burn them into the stone tablets with laser beams, did He? I thought Moses did it with a chisel. Which is some pretty hardcore list-making (or list-transcribing) in itself -- not the wimpy paper-and-pen method we moderns use.

Maybe I should chisel my list of 59 Good Things About Being Retired on stone tablets. I'm thinking it might have a similar impact on the world as the Ten Commandments did.

Nah, that sounds like too much work on my part. I think I'll take my dog for a walk instead.

Last edited:
...Anyway, here's my list of the good things about being retired:

Awesome!
57 things to think about and look forward to... Plus I could modify a few, add a few of my own and make my own list.
Since Thanksgiving's just around the corner some of this can be food for thought for the "What are you thankful for?" question.
Thanks for posting this. :D

My good things about being retired is this: Do the things I want to do, when I want to, at the pace I want to.

Yea, that is one for the bad things about retirement list. No vacations, no weekends off, no overtime pay, constant retirement 24/7, with no breaks. It is relentless.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Phenomenal list. I'm almost 4 years in and looking back I realize that working for me was prison compared to the life I live now.......

anyway

....one thing missing from the list is the immense joy and relief of Sunday nights/Monday mornings. For me, the relief of that anxiety is truly indescribable

Great list,

I can check some of those boxes, and others I can aspire towards.
thanks for putting it together!

No matter how long your list is, it's never going to be long enough for the;

"I just don't know what to do if I don't have a job anymore" folks.

"I just don't know what to do if I don't have a job anymore" folks.

Riyadh, mid 1980s, the company, based in Canada, began downsizing and offered retirement packages to those with sufficient time in, (upped the number of years they'd worked for the organization).

About five guys qualified - four immediately took the package. The remaining guy pestered the bejabbers out of the others - "What will you do all day?" "I like to know what I'm going to be doing at any given time" - like that....on and on and on.

Finally one of the others told him that he wasn't ready to retire.

To each his own, of course, but I've found lists helpful throughout my life. I've got lists for all sorts of things -- my main values, my best experiences in life, my best ideas, major life lessons, reasons to retire (that one is outmoded, lol), reasons to move or not, decisions about relationships, things to be grateful for, things I like about my life, etc.

In fact, here's my list of reasons why I like lists:

1. The process of list-making is intellectually stimulating and helps focus my mind on a particular issue or angle.

2. I'm an analytical fellow. I enjoy thinking about things.

3. Both making and reviewing a list helps activate certain states of mind (in this case, gratitude, appreciation, happiness).

4. It's a way to clarify and organize my thinking.

5. Putting things down in writing feels different, more objective somehow, than just having thoughts rolling around in my head.

6. It's a way of reinforcing ideas or decisions.

7. You can't hold more than a few bits of data in your head at one time (working memory limitations). Writing things down enables me to greatly expand the scope of what I'm considering.

8. It's a wonderful way to briefly encapsulate valuable information I've accumulated over a lifetime, and to remind myself of things that happened years or decades ago, which otherwise I would just forget. I'm referring here to my lists of my best experiences, best ideas, or major life lessons. I've kept lists like that for decades, and they are very valuable to me. If my house were to catch on fire, they'd be the one of the first things I'd rescue, after my dog.

9. I've always liked expressing my thoughts in writing. I joke with people that spoken English is my second language; written is my first. I find it very natural and easy to put my thoughts on paper. I can't identify with people talking about it feeling like "work." It's not work at all to me. It comes very naturally and easily.

Also, there is a sense of accomplishment as you check items off the list.

It's been 8 years since I pulled the plug. Most of my then peers are still working. They have bills to pay, they're just not ready, they wonder what they would do all day, etc, etc. Don't you get bored, they ask?

I was 63 then and most of my peers are now 70 or above. Most of them should be financially secure. (Lawyers). Many of them have no hobbies.

I love not working. The list of reasons why is almost endless. Sometimes it would be nice to have a little more disposable income because I hate to go into principal, but then I think it won't make much difference in the long run. Our kids will inherit a bunch of money when we die.

Being retired without any major financial issues is wonderful. Keep making your own lists of how grateful you are for the blessings you have.

Yeah, I heard a lot of that sort of thing, too -- "I couldn't retire, I wouldn't know what to do with myself all day." Never could identify with that myself. I always have more things to do than time to do them.

Also, there is a sense of accomplishment as you check items off the list.

There you go. That makes 10.

Plus,

11. God was the OG list maker. Making lists is being like God. In the beginning was the list, and the list was good.

Last edited:
It's been 8 years since I pulled the plug. Most of my then peers are still working. They have bills to pay, they're just not ready, they wonder what they would do all day, etc, etc. Don't you get bored, they ask?

I was 63 then and most of my peers are now 70 or above. Most of them should be financially secure. (Lawyers). Many of them have no hobbies.

I love not working. The list of reasons why is almost endless. Sometimes it would be nice to have a little more disposable income because I hate to go into principal, but then I think it won't make much difference in the long run. Our kids will inherit a bunch of money when we die.

Being retired without any major financial issues is wonderful. Keep making your own lists of how grateful you are for the blessings you have.

Wow, I think back to 70 and can't even imagine still w*rking at that age. My w*rk wasn't particularly physically demanding but just going in to the grind everyday would have driven me over the edge at that age. Naturally, YMMV.

One thing that motivated me was early on, was I never wanted to be the oldest person working at the end of my career. Now I spend well over 250 days a year in the outdoors fishing, hunting, hiking and enjoying nature. I needed to retire early so I could still be able to do the physical activity it requires. I just hope I can keep up as time goes bye.

In the white collar professions, on balance doctors and lawyers appear to work longer than many others.
Not sure why.

In the white collar professions, on balance doctors and lawyers appear to work longer than many others.
Not sure why.

Ya, never thought about that but everyone I know, that is the case. Must be smarter then most. Lol

Ya, never thought about that but everyone I know, that is the case. Must be smarter then most. Lol

Or not smarter. lol
Perhaps many of them work for themselves and don't have to put up with as much BS.

Not sure why.

Having worked with a lot of these folks, I'll venture some guesses:

1. Their identity is closely linked to the image of being a doctor or lawyer, and they find it hard to give up the intangible benefits that come with that (feeling valued, prestige, people looking up to them, being treated with respect, etc). Also, they've worked so long and hard to be a doctor or lawyer, they find it hard to let that go. It is a very big part of who they are.

2. They find their jobs intellectually stimulating/challenging and socially fulfilling, and they don't want to give that up.

3. They've often been so busy with their jobs and families that they have had very little time to discover other interests or hobbies. They wonder, "What would I do with all that free time?"

4. High living expenses. If you're a doctor, you'll feel peer pressure to live a certain lifestyle that matches your colleagues. Keeping up the Dr. Joneses, so to speak -- big house, nice cars, lavish vacations, private schools, etc. Plus you've got the trophy wives (or trophy husbands, I guess?) driving up expenses.

5. Alimony and child support payments to two or maybe three ex-wives. I remember a brief Saturday Night bit from decades ago. It was an ad parody, with all these dolls or action figures, each representing a certain profession. There was one figure that was a surgeon. The line I remember was, "Third wife optional." That's been true in my experience. I've known a lot of docs doctors who made really poor choices in romantic partners (e.g., very attractive borderlines), then got burned/soaked during a divorce. Those divorce costs and child custody payments can add up.

6. They feel like they're useful and making an important contribution to society, and they don't want to stop.

7. I'd also add that some doctors and lawyers don't make nearly as much as some people imagine. Yeah, there are some with half a million salaries, but I've also known primary care docs who are barely squeaking out a living. So they may not be in a position to retire.

Last edited:
Not sure why.

Most of the doctors I know who work well into their 60's have jobs that give them a lot of control over their time. Often they sub for other doctors or work oddball hours others don't want. Need two weeks in April? Arrange it and go. One guy I know works two 12 hours days in the ER, then is off the other 5 days of the week.

None work serious life and death type of situations (other than the ER guy). No need to tell a patient to make out his will, quickly.

I have found that I can't survive with mental stimulation and challenge. My work specialty does exactly that. I tried retirement briefly about a year ago, because I wanted more control over my time and I had a toxic-boss situation. I found crossword puzzles and sudoku's to be a weak substitute at best. So when a job offer came along after a few months, I took it.

Covid and the ability (requirement!) to work-at-home has been a godsend for me.

The question of whether I should have retired last year became moot last month, when my former office returned to in-person work.

Not sure why.

My former Primary Care Doc (now a "hospitalist") got upset with me during a visit. I mentioned a couple of issues I was concerned about during a routine visit (I thought that was what the visits were for - to express concerns and receive feedback on, for instance, blood tests.) Doc (who was about 55 at the time) spent 15 minutes (I'm not exaggerating) explaining that he could not make money checking out multiple concerns within a visit. He went into how he was still paying off his school loans, paying for his mortgage, and on and on and on. He finally suggested that, if I had multiple concerns that I make multiple appointments with him. I suggested that he simply charge more for the appointment (schedule more time.) He said that wasn't possible. I got a new Doc and he got a new j*b.

Still paying loans in mid 50s may well be why Docs stay so long. I'm not sure if my Doc was typical or not so YMMV.

Being a doctor isn't what it used to be. Managed care, student loan debt, diminishing reimbursement rates, increasing bureaucratic oversight and administrative interference, increasing paperwork or computer documentation demands, additional regulations and ever-changing policies mandating CYA or expose yourself to lawsuits, more fears of getting sued, increased costs of liability insurance, increased attention to physician behavior (watch your tongue or get reported), high productivity requirements, short visits, etc.

Not to mention skeptical, self-educated patients like me who give them a hard time. :)

Last edited:

Still paying loans in mid 50s may well be why Docs stay so long. I'm not sure if my Doc was typical or not so YMMV.

Another anecdote that may support this suspicion. Friend of mine is a [retired] orthodontist. He's mentioned numerous stories of others in his field who can't retire because of their spending habits from their sky high income, be it high end cars, high end homes, lavish vacations etc. Nothing wrong with any of this if one can afford it, but plenty wrong if the goal is to retire and such spending impacts the retirement savings.

Oddly found myself thinking about this tonight driving back home after 2 hours of vigorous Racquetball. Two statements resonate:

"I will spend the rest of my life waking up every morning and asking myself, ' what do *I* want to do today?'"

And,

"There are no more Sunday nights....."

Back
Top Bottom