Growing Risk to America’s Seniors: Themselves

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting article from the WSJ about the growing number of seniors that are unable to take care of themselves, yet aren't getting the care they need. It's a fear I have since DW and I have no kids and our extended family is pretty small.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/growin...niors-themselves-11581429600?mod=hp_lead_pos9

Rising numbers of older adults are unable to care for themselves, often leading to serious health problems and even death, according to state and local government agencies.

So-called self-neglect cases generally involve the inability to perform essential self-care, such as providing oneself with food, shelter, personal hygiene, medication and safety precautions.

Seniors who no longer drive, for example, are often unable to get to medical appointments, exacerbating health problems that can render them incapable of caring for themselves. A fall can result in a hip fracture leaving one bedridden and unable to care for oneself. Failure to pay bills for the phone or other utilities could lead to service cutoffs. Forgetting to pay rent could lead to the loss of a home.

Self-neglect cases involved 144,296 people across the country, accounting for more than half the reports of alleged elder abuse or neglect investigated by adult protective services programs in 2018, according to a new report released by the Department of Health and Human Services.

My daughter's 32 years old and incapable of taking care of her basic day to day needs. She's surrounded herself with people of all ages that are the same way. They're all living in a place without any electricity.

It's not always a matter of age. It's often due to their ability to make proper decisions. And often people just don't care about a better quality life including covering their basic needs.

WOW, sorry to hear that Bama....Sometimes i feel so blessed, cause i REALLY could have gone down a path like that too... Blessed is probably the wrong word because i dont believe in religion.... LUCKY to have met DW !!!!!!!!!!! Set me straight.

It's something that I think about, myself. I'm single, no kids, and pretty much the end of the line when it comes to my family. Sadly, I could see myself doing something in my old age, like falling down the basement stairs, drowning in the pool, or just dropping dead from old age, and nobody would even know, for awhile.

I dunno...eventually, would the postal service notify someone? The mail man would notice, eventually, that nobody was picking up the mail. And if it's in the warmer months, eventually someone would notice the grass wasn't getting cut.

I'm on a well and septic, so there's no water/sewer to cut off if the bill doesn't get paid. If the electric bill goes too far into arrears, they'll probably just shut it off, but would they notify anyone?

Mortgage would most likely be paid off by then, so there wouldn't be foreclosure to worry about. But, eventually, I guess the state of Maryland would catch up to me, once the property taxes didn't get paid, and fell too far into arrears?

I'm also out in the boonies, and don't really know any of the neighbors. Everyone kind of keeps to themselves. I guess the people across the street might notice something's out of kilter, and call the police for a welfare check, or something?

Still, not a pretty thought.

Andre, I think you can get a service that would call you at a pre-determined time every day if you choose. If I was old and lived alone, I would probably get something like that.

I have given considerable thought to this issue, since we have no children or close family. I expect that we will move into a CCRC by the time we are 80. I occasionally mention it to the young wife just to get her accustomed to the idea, because I know she will be resistant when the time comes. Even though I thoroughly enjoy our house, I am a little more flexible about my living space needs.

I have given considerable thought to this issue, since we have no children or close family. I expect that we will move into a CCRC by the time we are 80.

That's our plan too. Although at age 80, we might decide to put it off until age 90.:D

But really, one does not want to be like that lady in England, who died and was dead for five years before anyone noticed. All her bills were on autopay, her pension kept being deposited so she didn't run out of money, and apparently she didn't smell too bad.:angel:

I have given considerable thought to this issue, since we have no children or close family. I expect that we will move into a CCRC by the time we are 80. I occasionally mention it to the young wife just to get her accustomed to the idea, because I know she will be resistant when the time comes. Even though I thoroughly enjoy our house, I am a little more flexible about my living space needs.

I could have written that post, except I hope it will be after 80. We have several active octogenarians on our block, and one nonagenarian, and they are all doing well in their own homes so far. One other neighbor moved to a CCRC a couple of years ago at 94. I'm hoping to be in that crowd.

I'm just beginning to obsess about this myself...at this point either DH or myself will know if the other ceases to exist (there still might be a delay if I'm on a long trip I suppose). But when one of us is left I think it might be naive to imagine I would recognize a failing state in time to transition to CCRC?

I've even looked into finding a professional fiduciary to help with this (not being found weeks later partially consummed by my starving dogs). It's a new field but I imagine it will be in demand. I want to say Arizona is the only state currently licensing them. I need to think more about what the scope of services would be.

Now that we seem to have enough funds to enjoy life without working, this topic is the next Sisyphus hill for me....

That's our plan too. Although at age 80, we might decide to put it off until age 90.:D

But really, one does not want to be like that lady in England, who died and was dead for five years before anyone noticed. All her bills were on autopay, her pension kept being deposited so she didn't run out of money, and apparently she didn't smell too bad.:angel:

I am hoping you didn't just spoil the last episode of The Crown.

WOW, sorry to hear that Bama....Sometimes i feel so blessed, cause i REALLY could have gone down a path like that too... Blessed is probably the wrong word because i dont believe in religion.... LUCKY to have met DW !!!!!!!!!!! Set me straight.

Bamaman will be blessed for raising his grandchild.

I have two aunts (my Mom's sisters) who are both married and neither have any kids... so I'm the most likely person to intervene to help them when the time comes.... I'm glad to be in a position to do so.

We have no children or close family nearby and I'm very worried about how we would manage if one of us were dead and the other incapacitated. My plan for now and I'm still in the process of trying to set things up:

-Name corporate trustees (like Schwab, Northern Trust) as successor trustees for our Trust, with a trust protector to change trustee if necessary
-Try to find friends and family who are willing and able to serve as Trust Protector, medical POA and financial POA (as we may have retirement accounts not in our Trust). Provide in our Trust and POA documents that that person should hire a Professional Fiduciary (these are licensed in California) to manage our care.

All of this would be expensive if it came down to the remaining spouse being incapacitated-successor Trustee fees, Professional Fiduciary fees and possibly compensating the POA as they may be trying to do this all from another state and would have expenses. That's before the actual expense of caring for us in our home or elsewhere. At that point though, our funds would be of no other use to us.

All of this is not easy to set up-finding the right attorney to draft the trust and POA properly, speaking to corporate trustees, is all time consuming and frustrating at times. I have not gotten around to recruiting family/friends to possibly serve in the role I describe above, but I'm dreading it.

Last edited:
We do have kids but still want to stay healthy as long as we can and not be a burden for them. I've been reading up on how to avoid Alzheimer's. We've drastically changed our diet as a result. There are very low rates of Alzheimer's in the U.S. Blue Zone of Loma Linda where many of the people have a Seventh Day Adventist lifestyle, compared to the neighboring community of San Bernardino. There is also a doctor, Dale Bredesen, who has published studies on many patients who were able to reverse cognitive decline with diet and lifestyle changes with a similar protocol to the Blue Zone guidelines.

Last edited:
We do have kids but still want to stay healthy as long as we can and not be a burden for them. I've been reading up on how to avoid Alzheimer's. We've drastically changed our diet as a result. There are very low rates of Alzheimer's in the U.S. Blue Zone of Loma Linda where many of the people have a Seventh Day Adventist lifestyle, compared to the neighboring community of San Bernardino. There is also a doctor, Dale Bredesen, who has published studies on many patients who were able to reverse cognitive decline with diet and lifestyle changes with a similar protocol to the Blue Zone guidelines.

You are smart to think about this in advance. I have read Dr. Bredesen book "The End of Alzheimer's" and it offers me some hope. My mother has Dementia, but its too late for her to change her habits at this point.

I'm also trying to get my husband to get on board with me, but that has not been very easy. With my family history, odds are not in my favor. Plus he is 8 years older than me, so I need him to stick around a bit longer! :LOL:

Anyone can make positive changes or greatly reduce the likelihood of cognitive decline, if you simply change up your diet, exercise more and keep brain active and engaged! :)

I think this was one of the big motivators to start planning to FIRE; to remain financially secure and independent in my senescence no matter what. Even though we have a child, both our families have a tendency to try to accumulate enough to not be a burden on their adult children, no matter what medical issues arise. My DMIL has researched all kinds of in-home care, even though she's still very active and healthy.

DW and I haven’t thought about it, but we need to as we’re in the same situation. And we have the added concern of 7 siblings, only 2 have real net worth (us and 1 other).

As for when (hopefully not 80), with some luck I’d like to think we could hold off until one of us goes, take care of each other living independently until then. My parents lived independently until they were 93 years old, and passed at 93 and 96, my sister moved in for the last 3 years.

Last edited:
We have no children or close family nearby and I'm very worried about how we would manage if one of us were dead and the other incapacitated.

All of this is not easy to set up-finding the right attorney to draft the trust and POA properly, speaking to corporate trustees, is all time consuming and frustrating at times. I have not gotten around to recruiting family/friends to possibly serve in the role I describe above, but I'm dreading it.

I’ve been thinking along the same lines - professional successor trustee backup, professional fiduciary, and backup medical POA. I think what distresses me the most is that I have served in these roles for others and, quite honestly, they were weighty and difficult responsibilities.

I was glad to be there for them and I know it brought them peace of mind. I managed things as I hoped someone would manage for me - but there were also times I wished someone else was doing it because some aspects were very difficult and it was an extended timeline. That being said, I would absolutely do it again because it’s such a noble undertaking.

The root of the word “care” means to “cry out” - when we care for others, we cry out for them. Advocacy for an incapacitated person requires much - especially when they are not family.

This is, for sure, a trending topic as the population ages and doesn’t just impact those of us without children - I know several who do not believe their children are capable (for whatever reason) of serving in this capacity.

+ another one for this exact situation and plan. DW is not the type to take action before she has to but it’s my future-oriented, planning nature that has allowed us to accumulate some resources. This is part of it, i.e. what will our needs be as we age with no kids? We’re in our 50s and Stage 1 will simply be an arrangement with no snow and ice to deal with like at our current house, which we otherwise enjoy.

As for when (hopefully not 80), with some luck I’d like to think we could hold off until one of us goes, take care of each other living independently until then.

One of my neighbors is a widower and still goes to the gym every morning at 85. Another is 82 and still plays tennis twice a week (had a hip replacement last year) and golf in the summer. Both of them use the same line: "The only way I'm leaving this house is with a toe tag attached."

Opps, one other thought - DH and I have done the hard work of documenting and thoroughly discussing our choices on allowing death in various situations. It is our hope this would limit an extended time of care management. So, I hope that helps the situation.

Back
Top Bottom