Have not seen a rant thread in a while

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This rant is about people who ignore your attempt to communicate. Contractors, friends, family, etc. Then when they want something, they are so totally different, responsive, friendly. I give the following examples:
  • Contractors who never return messages in periods of feast, then complain about the lack of work when things slow down. Currently we have 3 painters and 1 asphalt contractor who just don't want to return calls, even though we are repeat business for 2 of them.
  • Left tons of messages about getting together with relatives. All ignored. Then when they want something all of that ignoring you is forgotten and you are best buddies.
  • When I drive around town doing chores in my 15 year old but well maintained sedan, I am ignored when I great strangers. Just looking people in the eyes and saying "Hi". But when I pull up to the same locations in my black convertible BMW sports car, everyone wants to be my buddy. They greet me before I have the chance to notice them.

Thank you for letting me rant.

Have any good stories or come backs or examples?

People that drive German cars, especially BMWs. Especially convertibles.

I've just learned to overlook the behaviors of others when I can. So not worth it to confront them on it. I doubt it would do any good and anger is mostly a waste of time anyways. Life is too short for that. I just try and not put myself in situations where I can be taken advantage of.

I've just learned to overlook the behaviors of others when I can. So not worth it to confront them on it. I doubt it would do any good and anger is mostly a waste of time anyways. Life is too short for that. I just try and not put myself in situations where I can be taken advantage of.

Nicely quoted and oh so correct in these statements. You are retired who cares!!

[*]When I drive around town doing chores in my 15 year old but well maintained sedan, I am ignored when I great strangers. Just looking people in the eyes and saying "Hi". But when I pull up to the same locations in my black convertible BMW sports car, everyone wants to be my buddy. They greet me before I have the chance to notice them.

Wait a minute, wait a minute!

Are the people who stop and talk to you in your BMW tall, thin, 20 something women? If so, I'm trying to see what the problem is.

We try to do this too but sometimes it's difficult. Good way to live if you can do it for sure!

This rant is about people who ignore your attempt to communicate. Contractors, friends, family, etc. Then when they want something, they are so totally different, responsive, friendly. I give the following examples:
  • Contractors who never return messages in periods of feast, then complain about the lack of work when things slow down. Currently we have 3 painters and 1 asphalt contractor who just don't want to return calls, even though we are repeat business for 2 of them.
  • Left tons of messages about getting together with relatives. All ignored. Then when they want something all of that ignoring you is forgotten and you are best buddies.
  • When I drive around town doing chores in my 15 year old but well maintained sedan, I am ignored when I great strangers. Just looking people in the eyes and saying "Hi". But when I pull up to the same locations in my black convertible BMW sports car, everyone wants to be my buddy. They greet me before I have the chance to notice them.

Thank you for letting me rant.

I drive the BMW Z4 convertible. Treated differently when car gets valet parked, plus the car does get looks while driving as not many of them where I live.
When driving the Civic, I wouldn't say I am ignored but no extra attention (except for stares for my DGF). lol

Express 12 items line at the grocery this morning at 8am. There was a stylish business woman in a suit with a weeks worth of groceries including produce that had to be weighed, toting her organic shopping bags. "I care about the earth, just not the people on it with me"

The next person was a guy holding ONE candy bar. Then me.

Oh the outrage (internally). I kept looking at the guy with one candy bar and he was completely chill. What does he know that I don't?, I wondered. Apparently the same thing you know.

OP sorta touched upon my biggest pet peeve for some 30 years. To this day I am beyond-amazed that I virtually never get a return call when I leave a voicemail message. And as OP alluded to, even more amazing is lack of return call when it is that person's interest to do so (e.g., to give them money for requested service).

Similarly, it is mind boggling to me when I return a voicemail from someone who requested a call-back, get their voicemail.......and they do not return that call. 2 separate times last year (about 4 months apart), my health insurer left me a message from a specific person, with his extension number. The person did not leave details, but explicitly asked for return call. Both times I called back, and on his voicemail said I was calling in response to his request. Never got a return call.
I just don't get it.

Last edited:
What's even more disturbing besides not getting returned calls, are people who don't answer the phone and have not set up (purposely) their voice mail account....such as my stepdaughter and her husband.

Plus, when they are late for a family function (as always), they say they never got the message.:facepalm:

My current rant is very little communication with my older DS. He is kind of mad at the world type, as stuck in low paying job. Thus comes to me only for money, which was a NO last time and going forward until the lines open up.
Extra frustrating in that I WAS the cool dad when he was a teen. First grade teacher said he was lazy etc......

The huge number of junk, bot calls causes people to ignore their phone. There are now so many different ways to communicate that replies are spread thin. I generally do not return a call that contains no message beyond "Call me".

Express 12 items line at the grocery this morning at 8am. There was a stylish business woman in a suit with a weeks worth of groceries including produce that had to be weighed, toting her organic shopping bags.
Not sure you are old enough to remember "sniglets - any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should". They have a word for those people: expressholes.
People who try to sneak more than the "eight items or less" into the express checkout line.
Except the book version uses another word instead of "people".

The huge number of junk, bot calls causes people to ignore their phone. There are now so many different ways to communicate that replies are spread thin. I generally do not return a call that contains no message beyond "Call me".

It seems like the only was stepdaughter and her husband want to communicate anymore is on Facebook, which I have no time for.

I drive the BMW Z4 convertible. Treated differently when car gets valet parked, plus the car does get looks while driving as not many of them where I live.
When driving the Civic, I wouldn't say I am ignored but no extra attention (except for stares for my DGF). lol

OMG you sound like me. Civic to BMW.

Indeed.

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 72
When I drive around town doing chores in my 15 year old but well maintained sedan, I am ignored when I greet strangers. Just looking people in the eyes and saying "Hi". But when I pull up to the same locations in my black convertible BMW sports car, everyone wants to be my buddy. They greet me before I have the chance to notice them.

I just laugh. My everyday outfit is usually old jeans and a T-shirt from my extensive collection of freebie T-shirts. I have a really nice wardrobe of dress clothes when the occasion calls for it but why wear them to the grocery store or when I'm getting a sandwich at Subway? I drive a 2012 Nissan Sentra. I'm sure people who see me assume I have little cash on me (usually true) and my Rolex and other jewelry are fake (they'd be wrong on both counts). That's OK- I don't want to be buddies with someone so shallow they base their decisions on how rich I appear to be, and I'm less likely to get mugged.

I WAS a little taken aback when I got to the counter at Subway with my sandwich once and found that the nice young man ahead of me, who looked like a typical blue-collar guy, had paid for my sandwich. Did I look THAT poor?

If businesses ignore me it's their loss. I used to shop for my business clothes with DS, who was in grade school at the time. I worked FT and my then-husband was such a PITA that DS and I usually stayed out of the house on weekends. I had a few fancy places ignore me when I came in with a child. I left one and went to another place where they actually acknowledged us and bought a St. John Knits dress for $300 (this would have been early 1990s). The bulk of my business clothes were bought at one store I went to regularly where the salesladies were nice to DS.

I have a home near the beach. I like to take long walks on nice days and listen to podcasts. I smile and say "good morning (or afternoon or evening)" to everyone I see.

Some smile back and reply. Others don't.

I just keep walking and smiling. That makes me feel good, and far less likely to feel the need to rant.

Serenity now!

Plus, when they are late for a family function (as always), they say they never got the message.:facepalm:

Same with DW's family. Missed events, missed appointments, missed anniversaries, missed flights, missed pickups. 1000 excuses.

Then I say: "They're texting each other 20 hours a day but nobody ever knows what's going on".

The young wife texts people. Occasionally, she cannot figure out what the person texting her means, leaving her to ask -- "are they coming for dinner tonight or on Thursday?" When I suggest that she just call and actually talk to the person to straighten things out, it's as if I've suggested she drown a kitten. I do not understand at all.

Same with DW's family. Missed events, missed appointments, missed anniversaries, missed flights, missed pickups. 1000 excuses.

Then I say: "They're texting each other 20 hours a day but nobody ever knows what's going on".

This times a 100...:LOL:they have worn out thumbs for nothing...also the late teens that continually text. What's up? Is that a real question...?

Back
Top Bottom