HOAs from Hell

IMO, another victim story about the evil HOA. READ THE DAMN COVENANT!

I would LOVE to live in a place where the expectations are not only defined but enforced. Too many people nowadays have no respect for their neighborhood or neighbors.

My main problem is that I would adhere to the letter of the rules and I'd be going crazy if someone else flaunted them!

The family in the beginning of the link used an unsafe blind in their children's bedroom and to correct the measure they choose a window covering that violates the HOA rules (that they agreed to) vs the extremely inexpensive repair to the blind. Obviously then, HOAs are unsafe and don't care about children. Got it.

The family in the beginning of the link used an unsafe blind in their children's bedroom and to correct the measure they choose a window covering that violates the HOA rules (that they agreed to) vs the extremely inexpensive repair to the blind. Obviously then, HOAs are unsafe and don't care about children. Got it.

+1 That is what I had started to write but then changed it. Another "victim" and it's the evil HOA's fault!

We have never lived where there was a HOA. My DH would not adjust well to someone telling him what he could or could not do, especially in his younger days. I have always been extremely good about following the rules (except from 18-24 yrs in the 70's), but would suffer because of DH. My DH takes great pride in our house and yard though.

We live in WV, but live in an older neighborhood. We live fairly close to 2 hospitals, WVU, a pharmaceutical plant and a few larger federal governmental agencies. When we moved here, we had a doctor on one side of us and another across the street and an orthodontist on the other side and a college professor 2 houses down. They have since moved a short distance away where they had new homes built. However, our neighborhood, still is a nice one. No cars up on blocks, etc. Lawns mowed nicely, homes kept up and people will stop by and tell you how nice your house looks, when you have work done. I consider ourselves fortunate that we live where we do.

I have been the President of my Condo Ass'n for ~10 years, and a Board member for 8 years before that. The 5 member Board has always gotten along extremely well. The only time there is a problem is when an owner or renter violates the 'Rules and Regulations.' It is really very simple: there is a one pet, 30 pound pet rule; and various vehicles that are not passenger automobiles must be parked in the adjacent lot (100 yards away). Every new Owner or Renter reads these and signs off on them, When they then choose to violate this straight forward policy, after a few written warnings, the lawyers get called in. [If the prospective owner/renter does not like these rules, why not just live elsewhere?] Besides that, co-existence has been calm and steady.
Rich

The thing is, the concept of "i don't want other people telling me what to do" is a non-issue for 99% of people. If you like your house looking nice, kept up, relatively consistent with the neighborhood, well maintained... then you're probably complying with the neighborhood without any HOA issues.

But yes this whole article "I moved because...the HOA wanted my daughter to live in a room which could kill her" is ridiculous. Many other options besides drapes to avoid cords in a window covering.

I am on the board of the HOA at our vacation home. The (volunteer) board -- 15 of us -- do everything a management company would typically take care of. Accounting, billing, budgeting, hiring/managing the maintenance and office workers, road and facilities maintenance.

Most of the complaints we get are "why did the dues increase?", and 99% of the time the complaints are from members that do not understand capital reserves and long-range planning. One member came to a meeting with his own calculations from the budget and basically accused us of stealing $50,000 from this year's revenue, since we had collected it and not spent it. Even when the Treasurer walked him through the amounts being put into capital reserves (which is clearly spelled out in the published budget,and actually more than the $50K he calculated), he didn't understand.

I was the Treasurer of our HOA for 25 years, and some of the questions are unbelievable! When we had to reroof the complex, someone demanded we sign a statement that none of the board members are related to the roofer!

I remember a few people complaining about the monthly dues. The board tried to explain that dues reflect costs. If one wants lower monthly dues then ways must be found to lower the costs of maintaining the property.

We asked for volunteers to oversee landscaping and find a new management company that might be cheaper. These were two of our biggest costs. Nobody bothered to volunteer.

I don't have much patience for people who buy homes without first reviewing the deed restrictions that apply to the property.

Maybe I was fortunate in that I had experienced homeowners as co-workers advising me on such issues, or maybe it was that I did not purchase my first property until somewhat later in life (age 35) and gained additional wisdom during this time.

My purchase was a FSBO, but perhaps buyers Real Estate agents share some of the responsibility in educating first time buyers in HOA governed communities.

A typical Warranty Deed is only one or two pages and clearly references the restrictions that would apply.

-gauss

I disagree a bit gauss, my HOA deed was so weighed down with "legalise" that I had to submit it to my attorney and it took her a number of days to decipher the muddled writing. I still have the copy, its 187 pages. A new condo just lost a suit brought on by a group of purchaser due to the ambiguity in the language.

My small development just voted to kick our property management team to the curb and rewrite the entire HOA laws over. Now my development is extremely small, 17 townhomes so that makes life easy. Our new contract is paired down and simplified, it now cover snow removal, yard maintenance and maintenance of the gate to the driveway.

Now we do have a great board, lol hard not to with only 17 members but I would definitely think long and hard before going into a bigger development or condo.

I agree, in philly atleast there is a huge lack of transparency. I think it's a bit sleezy that you have to be an engineer to understand most of them

Last edited:
I was the Treasurer of our HOA for 25 years, and some of the questions are unbelievable! When we had to reroof the complex, someone demanded we sign a statement that none of the board members are related to the roofer!

LOL. This reminds me of the time when I was on an HOA board and one homeowner wanted a new address because the UPS guy couldn't find her house. We told her we don't manage addresses, the fire department does. She got mad at us and wondered why we wouldn't grant her request. :facepalm:

I remember a few people complaining about the monthly dues. The board tried to explain that dues reflect costs. If one wants lower monthly dues then ways must be found to lower the costs of maintaining the property.

We asked for volunteers to oversee landscaping and find a new management company that might be cheaper. These were two of our biggest costs. Nobody bothered to volunteer.

In my old neighborhood the cost of running the pool was over $60K per year!!! And it was not open that long... I never understood where all the money went....

Never checked out our current neighborhood as it has two pools and many more tennis courts.... but then again we pay 50% more in dues....

I think I would have responded: "We are not required to do that and we won't so what are you gonna do? Move? Please?" :D

It's not totally outrageous. I've been on a number of boards and you do have to be ever vigilant - some people take advantage.

And you need to keep an eye on the management companies. Most are good, but on the first board I was on (a large condo complex with a large budget and I was young and a tad naive) - the management company offered to take the board members out for a fancy dinner. We declined and ended up switching companies a few months later.

I disagree. While it isn't outrageous for a homeowner to inquire whether any board members are related to vendors the HOA uses and that there are not any conflicts of interest or any conflicts are fully disclosed.... it is outrageous for a homeowner to demand that the Board sign a statement to that effect... the homeowner had no right to make such a demand.

I will add in another.

When the management company attempts to enforce a rule that is counter to local LAW or proper procedures.

EXAMPLE: We have the usual rules about yard signs. Most are prohibited and political one not allowed. Texas has a statute the EXPRESSLY allows political sign of a certain size and number 90 dos out from an election. This overrides any little deed restriction and even local ords. I had the management company get all worked up over my LEGAL political signs and even continued to harass and threaten me .....

I never understood the obsession some folks have with sticking a political sign on their lawn. In some areas it gets to be quite a blight of political sign pollution. Do you actually think someone will drive by and see your sign and think "gee I really hadn't made my mind up on who I will vote for, but that sign has just convinced me to vote for blah blah (fill in the shmucks name)?

You really display your political sign out of vanity. To claim "my choice is superior". "You should vote like me." No one really cares about the sign. Get over it and make lawn mowing easier. Ditch the sign obsession.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If they want to support the candidate of their choice and it is allowed by state law which is written to override HOA law then by all means, post up the sign.

Be proud to be a part of the political process in a country that has at best a 50% turnout.

Be proud of your sign and send a copy of the state law to the HOA!

Eat 'em & smile - :)

I never understood the obsession some folks have with sticking a political sign on their lawn. In some areas it gets to be quite a blight of political sign pollution. Do you actually think someone will drive by and see your sign and think "gee I really hadn't made my mind up on who I will vote for, but that sign has just convinced me to vote for blah blah (fill in the shmucks name)?

You really display your political sign out of vanity. To claim "my choice is superior". "You should vote like me." No one really cares about the sign. Get over it and make lawn mowing easier. Ditch the sign obsession.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I really don't want to jihack the thread but just a response.
There are a lot of studies that show that for "DOWN BALLOT" candidates yard signs do work. Folks go into the booth and after voting for Gov or Senator they hit the lesser known guys. It is natural that many folks simply click a name thatchy may have seen in yards of neighbors and friends.
The yard signs in my yard are worth several dozen votes in my hood alone since many of my peeps know that I am all involved and engaged, they tend to see my signs as well researched endorsements and vote that way.

You may not like it but it works and it only is an eyesore for a few months every few years. When the hell did this country become so busybody with everybody all worked up over what other do and what they are " offended" or put out by ?

Re political sign - aggie the benefit while there, is probably less specific than you think. It's name-recognition bias pure and simple. Not so much "if so and so has a sign they must be good" more "i know that name". That's why grandkids get elected in landslides when share the name of elder politicians.

Signage, however, isn't just a few months every few years if it's permitted. If you can support your candidate now, I can support every local and state election, and I can also put up a "save the whales" or other sign supporting any cause any time (including really terrible ones). We have a neighbor who wants to put a sign out front threatening to set her dogs loose on anyone who leaves other dog poop in her yard.

Let one sign in, you let them all in, all the time.

It is a thread hijack. How about let's stay on topic, which is hellish HOA's and how they impact humanity. :)

I've lived in a few homes with HOAs and never really had much of a problem, but I never liked the idea of spending so much money every month to maintain a large common area. The house we live in now is not part of an HOA, and aside from spending about $55/month for lawn care, and occasionally repainting the house every 8 years or so, we don't have much in the way of maintenance expenses that an HOA fee would normally cover.

My family has lived in condos in Florida for many years though, and I hear terrible stories about their experiences. I think Florida condos are notorious for having very difficult HOA boards. Maybe it's because Florida has so many retired people with a lot of time on their hands.

The last place we lived that had an HOA drove us batty. We quit going to meetings and the problems lessened. Then we quit paying attention to the one neighbor who seemed to be the biggest PIA. Problem solved. Wasn't the HOA just a real work of art.

When the hell did this country become so busybody with everybody all worked up over what other do and what they are " offended" or put out by ?

It started that way when the first Puritans stepped foot on Plymouth rock. It's our Heritage. You don't want things kept in check and orderly, you probably want to head south to Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom