Home Improvement

Got the range hood in;

28668721258_88302f71f0_o.jpg

Sink done. You don't know how much you need a kitchen sink until you don't have one.

27727076177_00336b80f9_o.jpg

That of course is the easy good looking part. The part that takes all the time and effort in under.

41694217655_7c7666c451_o.jpg

All hooked up and tested and not leaking - :)

That of course is the easy good looking part. The part that takes all the time and effort in under.

41694217655_7c7666c451_o.jpg

All hooked up and tested and not leaking - :)

Awesome! You got the good disposal that is almost silent! I love that one!

Yeah, it's the second best Insinkerator.

The best one is a lot larger and I have a small house.

Nice garbage disposal, Robbie!

I don't actually have one myself, but one of these days I might get around to calling my handyman and telling him to put one in for me. Have been procrastinating because life is fine without it, for me. I just put garbage in the trash.

Looks like your brand new sink has one of those spray wands on a flexible hose. Now THAT is something I simply love and would not want to do without! Good choice.

Thanks!

I also have the built in soap dispenser which is way better than grabbing the soap bottle every time you want some.

I used the leftover trim plywood to build this enclosure for the range hood vent and the electrical feed;

41980859974_afaf71900e_o.jpg

Nice work on the vent enclosure Robbie. When's the party?

New floor down;

42707645172_ba1cfe5511_o.jpg

Took all day. Guy arrived a quarter to 10 and left at a quarter past 6. Looks nice!

Yes, it does!
Great job on the vent enclosure, also.

Nice garbage disposal, Robbie!

I don't actually have one myself, but one of these days I might get around to calling my handyman and telling him to put one in for me. Have been procrastinating because life is fine without it, for me. I just put garbage in the trash...

I've lived with and w/o a garbage disposal. I don't see the attraction. It's faster and quieter to just throw stuff in the garbage. Cheaper, and you have more room under the sink.

I also have the built in soap dispenser which is way better than grabbing the soap bottle every time you want some.

Built in soap dispenser is nice. A little bit of a pain to refill, but not too bad. Nice to declutter the counter though.

New floor down;

Took all day. Guy arrived a quarter to 10 and left at a quarter past 6. Looks nice!

I am soooo glad you got a new floor! You never mentioned it (or I missed it), and everything else looks so nice, and I kept thinking, but Oh My! that floor! :)

It all looks great. Encasing the exhaust vent is really classy!

-ERD50

Thanks!

Easy to refill. Just pull the pump out the top and squirt the soap down the hole.

The enclosure will allow use of that space as well as meet code re no exposed electrical. There is about 4 inches of romex entering the back of the cabinet and going down through a hole in the bottom into the range hood.

Last edited:
I've lived with and w/o a garbage disposal. I don't see the attraction. It's faster and quieter to just throw stuff in the garbage. Cheaper, and you have more room under the sink.

I put one in when I re-did the kitchen and installed a dishwasher. We probably use it about twice a year. The trash can is faster, easier, and even better for the environment. I visited some folks who put almost every scap of food waste down the disposal. It took about 2 minutes to grind up a couple of pounds of waste and get it down the drain. I'll bet they have the plumber on speed dial.

Last edited:
Speaking of kitchen floors. I see a lot of trend to tile. I love the idea, considering all the water. However, what about fatigue? Standing fatigue? What about grout line cleaning? Etc.

Built in soap dispenser is nice. A little bit of a pain to refill, but not too bad. Nice to declutter the counter though.
-ERD50

When I remodeled our kitchen, I added this Never-MT kit. It's basically just some tubing with several caps that fit onto a Costco-sized dish soap bottle, which stores under the sink. The bottle of your countertop dispenser is removed, and the tubing connects directly to the dispenser tube. Works great and lasts a year or more in our house.

Attachments

• NeverMT - 1.jpg
    NeverMT - 1.jpg
    582.9 KB · Views: 46
Speaking of kitchen floors. I see a lot of trend to tile. I love the idea, considering all the water. However, what about fatigue? Standing fatigue? What about grout line cleaning? Etc.

The tile I got is Armstrong engineered tile and it's pretty thick and it's also flexible. They also use acrylic grout, so it should remain waterproof too.

When I remodeled our kitchen, I added this Never-MT kit. It's basically just some tubing with several caps that fit onto a Costco-sized dish soap bottle, which stores under the sink. The bottle of your countertop dispenser is removed, and the tubing connects directly to the dispenser tube. Works great and lasts a year or more in our house.

Ahhh, simple solution! I like it. I see it's just tubing from the dispenser pump to the large jar, I have tubing and can drill the cap, so I can DIY (DIM? Do It Myself?) essentially for free.

As RobbieB says, it's not a big deal to refill, but it does run out fairly often, and I need to measure a cup to refill w/o risking over-filling and having soap all over.

The big container is under the sink anyhow, so this won't take any extra space.

-ERD50

Ahhh, simple solution! I like it. I see it's just tubing from the dispenser pump to the large jar, I have tubing and can drill the cap, so I can DIY (DIM? Do It Myself?) essentially for free.

The kit I got includes a inline one-way check valve. The valve keeps the upper tube full of liquid, so it dispenses on the first squirt. Without the valve, the tube tends to drain back down, and you may need to prime the pump more frequently.

That said, a lot of people DIY it. Search "soap dispenser" on YouTube and you'll find multiple DIY videos.

The kit I got includes a inline one-way check valve. The valve keeps the upper tube full of liquid, so it dispenses on the first squirt. Without the valve, the tube tends to drain back down, and you may need to prime the pump more frequently.

That said, a lot of people DIY it. Search "soap dispenser" on YouTube and you'll find multiple DIY videos.

Thanks. I have check valves for tubing too. Will check out the videos though.

-ERD50

I use the pump for washing my hands and adding a squirt to the pot brush when needed. Not much comes out with each push. For serious work like soaking burnt on stuff or fondue pots I'll squeeze in a long stream from the bottle as you would be pumping a long time to get the needed quantity.

Back
Top Bottom