Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I feel decently informed of the risk/reward ratio of DIY vs. hiring out.
Some examples are below.
I take care of the pool/gardening and some aspects of the lawn, all investment and financial decisions. I will not go on the roof, try to fix cars, perform any major building project related to the house.
The decision making process actually is easy for me.

Yep, the only regret I have since retiring over 6 years ago is NOT Blowing more Dough on our move to Arizona. We did our own packing & wrapping, rented PODS, with rented muscle at both ends. Easy? Well, it's have been physically and mentally exhausing. I wish I just brought in Bekins/National/Allied and tossed them $20K+ to move all our crap while we went on vacation somewhere. Any money saved not hiring a full service mover like Bekins was easily blown on delays and long distance travel between houses.

I'm learning my leason. Proof: when mice and rats were moving into the attic, I just blew dough to replace a couple of hundred circular screen vents with something more robust. The rodent exculusion guys cost me 4 grand and I had 5 guys crawling all over the house exterior sealing entrance points all day. Well worth it and I never touched my ladder. The stock market payed me back in a couple weeks, at worse.

Next challeges: exterior paint and HVAC. The exterior paint job nearly tempted, but the chiropractic bills and missing out months of fun due to recovering from our dyi interior paint job may keep us "sober" and off the ladders.

Faithfully saying NO to the high pressure paint sprayer calling me at Harbor Freight,

FB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 05:16 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

We live on 5 wooded acres on a lake out in the boonies. Lots of yard work, tree cleanup, home maintenance. Built and maintained mostly by myself. But our place is too wooded and deer invested to grow our own food. Very peaceful. I don't see another person other than DW for days sometimes.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Yep, the only regret I have since retiring over 6 years ago is NOT Blowing more Dough on our move to Arizona. We did our own packing & wrapping, rented PODS, with rented muscle at both ends. Easy? Well, it's have been physically and mentally exhausing. I wish I just brought in Bekins/National/Allied and tossed them $20K+ to move all our crap while we went on vacation somewhere. Any money saved not hiring a full service mover like Bekins was easily blown on delays and long distance travel between houses.

I'm learning my leason. Proof: when mice and rats were moving into the attic, I just blew dough to replace a couple of hundred circular screen vents with something more robust. The rodent exculusion guys cost me 4 grand and I had 5 guys crawling all over the house exterior sealing entrance points all day. Well worth it and I never touched my ladder. The stock market payed me back in a couple weeks, at worse.

Next challeges: exterior paint and HVAC. The exterior paint job nearly tempted, but the chiropractic bills and missing out months of fun due to recovering from our dyi interior paint job may keep us "sober" and off the ladders.

Faithfully saying NO to the high pressure paint sprayer calling me at Harbor Freight,

FB
Yes good examples.
We paid 17k to have movers move us down from the Northeast to Florida. They did everything including all packing. Money well spent.
I will not paint the outside of the house either.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
t our place is too wooded and deer invested to grow our own food. Very peaceful. I don't see another person other than DW for days sometimes.
LMAO.... we are on 4, basically surrounded by 3 large 80+ acre tracts with one being an orchard.... Ive made the comment... "most of what we grow tastes like venison" I'm on the orchards deprivation permit and hunt off my porch.
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

After 10 years in our country place, and multiple near and not so near misses, "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" has laid down some hard and fast rules for me..
No chainsaws, ladders, (especially chainsaws on ladders), or bonfires without adult supervision..
Probably more to come. Lol.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
After 10 years in our country place, and multiple near and not so near misses, "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" has laid down some hard and fast rules for me..
No chainsaws, ladders, (especially chainsaws on ladders), or bonfires without adult supervision..
Sounds like a very wise woman. You'd be well advised to listen though YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #67
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
That sounds like my list, except I can't give up my semi-annual bonfire. But electrical and plumbing are soon to be added.
sparky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Sure, it helps. And probably for a lot of people, if they weren't doing chores they'd probably get no exercise. But the problem with chores in the country is that they never end, even when you need a few days off.

Moving to the country when you're older and don't have physical background can be a rude awakening for many, and possibly a path to injury.
Maybe take on a good hired hand ...
Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 AM   #69

Quote:
I still chainsaw, but never alone. I've got to figure something out about gutters.

Between ladders and gutters, I opine the ladders are the bigger risk.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:48 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
I still chainsaw, but never alone. I've got to figure something out about gutters.

We had a guy at w*rk who tangled with a chain saw. Have you ever seen a guy with 187 stitches - in his face? Thank goodness, I'd already sworn off chain saws by then.

Then there was the acquaintance who almost died on his (can't recall, but think 900+th) sky dive. Took him 6 months to recover and then he went back to it. I'm old school - never jump out of a perfectly good airplane - but I digress.

YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post

There are attachments to work gutters from the ground. I think just about every brand has an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gutter cleaner.jpg (61.3 KB, 14 views)
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We had a guy at w*rk who tangled with a chain saw. Have you ever seen a guy with 187 stitches - in his face?
I have had several chainsaw/ladder related calls over the years... with several fatalities. but record for face stiches was a 10 yearold boy... sitting in the back seat and went face first into the windshield... 162 stitches...
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
We had a guy at w*rk who tangled with a chain saw. Have you ever seen a guy with 187 stitches - in his face? Thank goodness, I'd already sworn off chain saws by then.
My chainsaw had a tag that specifically said "Not recommended for shaving"
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:31 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
I have had several chainsaw/ladder related calls over the years... with several fatalities. but record for face stiches was a 10 yearold boy... sitting in the back seat and went face first into the windshield... 162 stitches...
Yeah, the guy with 187 had multiple "slices" - I didn't even want to imagine why there was more than one major cut. After a few months, the guy began to look human again, but he will always bear the reminders of one instant's intention or perhaps bad luck. In any case, YMMV.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
No roof for me either. We have a metal roof now.
Given the hail storm that blew through Central Texas last month, I was starting to wonder if that was going to be in our future also.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:36 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
WOW! I bet you seen some awful and sad situations through the years.

Not sure if I could of done that job, and thankfully you could. Thanks
street is offline   Reply With Quote