How long did you work?

Career wise, 31 years split between 1 megacorp and 1 megacity. Like others have said, been working for pay since 15ish. Took off work my last semester of school as I crammed it with too many classes so I could get out in 4 years.

So glad to be finished with paid labor. Now how do I get rid of my new unpaid labor ;<)

34.3 Years
8274 Days

Longer than planned because of the 2008-2009 equity crash.

Retired at 57 did 40+ years full time, the last 37 with the same company in numerous roles.

Retired in 2018 at age 62; 40 years in tech with same company. Gotta love the pension.😀

43 years total. 5 years in banking and teaching. 38 years as a full time church music director.

After college degree in 1986, 30.5 years. "First employment" make that 37 years. Have been done now for 3.5 years, never happier..........

I retired at 62 yrs and 8 mos of age. I retired from my last job on the day that I had put in 33 years.

I might add, I LOVE seeing all of these career people on here! Bravo to those of you that spent decades in your job/profession. I more or less think that staying with a company "went out of fashion" some years back.

Someone also mentioned "never been happier." Those are my feelings a thousand times over. I have had some real "mountain top experiences" since I have retired. Some as simple as watching the birds at the feeder early in the morning.

Last edited:
I might add, I LOVE seeing all of these career people on here! Bravo to those of you that spent decades in your job/profession. I more or less think that staying with a company "went out of fashion" some years back.
Good friend of mine has the j*b tenure record for anyone I know. He started working at a family-run firm in 1975 and retired from there this past January after 44+ years. It's the only place he ever w*rked.

33 years after college graduation. Same company. Several interesting roles.

Full time for 51 years: 2 employers, 2 very different careers. 9 years at a fashion magazine, near the end of which I started going to law school at night; then 42 years with a government agency. Both sound like dream jobs when I describe them, but the second actually was & it suited me perfectly. Retired last year with a pension that still seems like icing on the cake — I worked hard but loved the mental stimulation & challenges of legal work so much I often felt I'd do it for free.

Last edited:
I enlisted in the Air Force at 19. After my 4 year hitch I worked for the railroad for a couple years, then Federal employee for a couple years in electronics. 8 years as an electronics technician for the Air National Guard. I went to college part time while working full time over the course of ten of those years. Hired by a major defense contractor in San Diego before I graduated. 1 year later I moved back to Colorado to work for another defense contractor working in systems engineering and software where I stayed for 27+ years. I retired at 63 so around 44 years for me. I also delivered papers, worked in a convenience store, roller rink, swimming pool, etc. as a teen.

2 years US Army; 6 years in the paper mill while finishing college; 30 years in public accounting

Am all done with MegaCorp. 41+ yrs in.
67 days left .... !!!!

Started working at the bank when I was 16 and in high school. Worked full time during my 7 years of college (night school). 29 years at several mega-corps and 7 years part time after semi retiring at 50. So, somewhere around 36 years full time.

Worked the summer of 1974 for a civil engineering firm between college semesters. Quit school and started full time at the same company in March 1975. Worked there and one other company through April 2014. So I worked close to 39 years, 4 months.

It will be 42 years for me if I make it to my current goal date. I am 50, have worked since I was 18 (32 years down). I worked in private industry until my late 20's and then had accounting positions at a large research university. Left for about 8 years in my 40's to work in a couple of smaller non-profit/$hi+show$, and earlier this year went back to the same university I worked at before (thank god, feeling very lucky to have this job right now). If I stay 10 years, I will have worked enough combined time to legitimately qualify for university retirement. Wish overall it would end up being fewer years, but I really got screwed in a divorce in my early 30s and it took a long time to recover from that. 50F/no spouse/no kids

I started working at 16 working every day after school 3-5 and then 9-5 every school break week I had including all summer.

At age 21 after graduating college I worked full time until age 62 1/2 when I was forced to resign.

37 years minus 3 months of maternity leave. Worked at several pharma companies and lucky to have two small pensions, and lots of saving in 401ks...Retired at 58, 3 years later than my original goal. Have never looked back...loving retirement.

Back
Top Bottom