How long does it take?

Floridatennisplayer

Recycles dryer sheets
Today on and off that heavy oppressive feeling that comes on Sunday....dreading the start of another work week.....came. I kept having to tell myself numerous times today.........YOU ARE RETIRED...ITS OVER. It’s even a holiday in which I would have had 2 extra days anyway and still found myself in a state of dread.

Did anyone else have this? It’s like my subconscious hasn’t realized or accepted that this is true. It’s like my mind thinks this is just a vacation and I’ll have to return to reality soon.

It passes. Have a second cup of coffee in your PJs while you watch the traffic report on the next scheduled work day.

Today on and off that heavy oppressive feeling that comes on Sunday....dreading the start of another work week.....came. I kept having to tell myself numerous times today.........YOU ARE RETIRED...ITS OVER. It’s even a holiday in which I would have had 2 extra days anyway and still found myself in a state of dread.

Did anyone else have this? It’s like my subconscious hasn’t realized or accepted that this is true. It’s like my mind thinks this is just a vacation and I’ll have to return to reality soon.

Yes, I remember feeling like I was on vacation the first two weeks, then it sunk in that Monday was never coming back... What a great feeling !!

I hope it passes quickly. My husband who is always super stressed out, retires tomorrow. It is a half day and he still said he had to get to bed early tonight because he has to work tomorrow.

We humans tend to be creatures of habit. It will get better once your routine is changed for a couple weeks. First two weeks will seem like vacation, as mentioned earlier reply.

I seem to recall several threads here where people mentioned having Sunday night nightmares of having to be at w*rk on Monday or other some-such dreams....and these might recur (on occasion) several years into retirement. But the fear and anxiety soon dissipated when they woke up and didn't even realize what day of the week it was, like a typical retiree.:LOL:

Initially it's hard to believe that w*rk, as you know it, is now in your rear-view mirror.

And it may take you a bit longer, as this sudden exit was sort of thrust upon you, as you had a longer glide path planned, with retirement in the Spring.

omni

For DW it's the tick tick tick of 60 Minutes that sets her off. She's been retired for about 4 years now but still has that Pavlov's response. She has several co worker friends that get the same feeling from that show.

Heck, I still have nightmares about taking exams in college and still feeling like I am working towards my degree and I still have xx amount of hours to complete.

I graduated from college over 20 years ago.

I am thinking the Sunday night dreads, which I am currently having, are going to be around for a bit longer than I want them too. At least dreaming about them :LOL:

When you get to the point of not knowing what day of the week it is, you are past it. :cool:

What do you mean? Every day is Saturday.

I get a happy feeling every Sunday night. I don't want it to pass!

I don't know when it happens but it does. More days than not I don't even know what day of the week it is! Is that bad? :D

Sorry, I don't mean to be unempathetic, but I'll be very happy when everybody else goes back to work on Wednesday (hopefully), and life goes back to "normal".

Heck, I still have nightmares about taking exams in college and still feeling like I am working towards my degree and I still have xx amount of hours to complete.

I graduated from college over 20 years ago.

I am thinking the Sunday night dreads, which I am currently having, are going to be around for a bit longer than I want them too. At least dreaming about them :LOL:

I never had the Sunday night dreads after I retired but still have dreams about work 12 years later.

If you live in a city take a leisurely walk during the morning rush hour and breath in the relief as commuters rush by you heading to the bus/subway. You will get over the Sunday evening reaction quickly but you may occasionally dream of work for years.

The Sunday thing went away for me immediately, but I had nightmares about having to go back to work for about a year after I left. It will pass for you too.

For me, couldn't get a job but then realized we are FIRE.
Thus, the Sunday night jitters went away naturally and no fear of going back to my old profession, as there just wasn't a place for me there anymore.

A couple of years before RE, I got to the point where from the time I left for the weekend, until I arrived back in the parking lot Monday morning, I never even thought about w*rk.

Weekends and vacation time became my "real" life. W*rk was just an interruption.

I count myself lucky that I knew it was time to go, and, outside a few dreams, never really missed it. It helped that I was already away on a three-month cruise on the day I officially retired. I hope the OP's Sunday jitters subside quickly. I guess everyone's different.

I had the Sunday thing for awhile. Think it came in and out for at least a few months. Didn’t take too long to adjust. Dealing with that was still better than dealing with actually going to work.

It will pass in time.
Enjoy your day, you get to do whatever you wish!

Now I have the Saturday and Sunday dreads. Having to run an errand on the weekend when the stores are packed. I look forward to the week days now!

Back
Top Bottom