How many streaming services do you pay and “borrow”?

retire48in2018

Recycles dryer sheets
How many streaming services do you pay and share?

It seems very common based upon news media that families/friends share logins to some streaming services. Some will attempt to start to charge or monetize on this practice.

Last edited:
How many streaming services do you pay and share?

We pay for 3-4. (Sling, Netflix, paramount)
We share 1, at times. We share this one where we live maybe 40% of time with family.

We’ll stop and start, shuffling with Disney, Apple, HBO Max, and discovery plus. Always Sling as DW likes live TV with certain news channel.

Keep streaming to under $70/month.

Last edited:
Share 1 and pay for 4. The one I share is paid for as family plan by my son. I have Netflix Friendly, Prime, HBO, and Starz. I get service as needed for the shows we follow- Yellowstone, 1923, Outlander, Jack Ryan to name a few.

Maybe I'll learn something here... "In this context", is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?

Last edited:
Pay for Hulu+Live only - $74.99/mo. That includes Disney+ and ESPN+. We get basic Netflix for free from T-Mobile. That’s more than enough for us.

We had HBOMax from Verizon before we switched to T-Mobile. We had Apple TV+ for a year and let it lapse several months ago, will probably re-subscribe and binge watch for a month when Ted Lasso season 3 is all there. Used to have PBS Passport, but there's only one program left on PBS that we still watch, so we let it lapse.

I wouldn’t borrow or loan a subscription unless it was specifically permitted. Obviously Netflix has clamped down.

I watch free YouTube (not YTTV) more than all other broadcasts combined anyway…:)

Last edited:
Maybe I'll learn something here... "In this context", is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?

Depends. Early on, sharing was encouraged - part of marketing. It was explicitly allowed as part of terms & conditions. Some like Amazon prime never permitted sharing as part of terms for video - but did for other areas, and it is expanding family share on many items like books that was specifically excluded before.

I don’t have a document with the changing terms & conditions of each platform video service.

I am reading that it is overall now changing from media. In some countries, terms are changing with a surcharge (small amount) per share.

Some allow different logins with different profiles. And state how many different streams at different locations is permitted.

We pay for Prime, Netflix, and Apple. Borrow or share Hulu, and HBO Max. Showtime and Starz are included in UVerse. Yes, we still have UVerse. I pay for premium Netflix and let my niece/nephew use it too. Does anyone subscribe to YouTube?

Pay for 9 if you count the services in bundles.

Prime Video (Amazon Prime)
Apple TV+ (Part of our Apple One bundle with Music, Fitness +, News, etc)
Paramount + (probably the most expendable)
Peacock
HBO Max
Disney plus (bundle)
Hulu No Ads (bundle)
ESPN+ (bundle)
Netflix

I will let certain ones expire during the summer when we don't watch as much TV.

I hate it, but it is what it is. We have 6-7+ months of long winter. Lots of inside time.

Last edited:
Comcast (pay for basic + internet), Netflix (pay), HuluTV (partial pay), Paramount+ (pay), Disney (pay), AppleTV (pay), HBOMax (partial pay), CuriosityStream (pay). Prime (pay), Spotify Family (kids pay).

We pay for Sling, Netflix, and Disney. We have Amazon but only because it comes with Prime. We didn’t join for streaming. We recently dropped Hulu when our $0.99 promo ended. I think our daughter recently got HBO Max but she pays for that. There was a show she wanted to watch. She’ll drop it after she sees it.

None, do not need them, so much free stuff out there if one knows where to look. We do pay for a good quality UK based VPN Service which is about $1.99pm.

I pay for 1 service at a time. And I cycle thru them as needed. I watch as much as I can that looks of interest to me on that service and when done, I cancel it and sign up for a different service. I rotate thru them again over time to catch up on what's new since the last time I had that service. I don't share my services and I don't share other people's services.

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime and PBS Passport. We pay for all of them. We have turned down offers from friends to share their password for other services, because it is illegal and unethical.

Pay for:

* Amazon Prime Video (included in our Amazon Prime account.)

* Paramount +

* Apple TV

* MLB.TV

* Brit Box (on a 60 day reduced price special, will pay regular pricing when 60 days are up, until I get my fill, probably another 60 days, then will cancel.)

No sharing.

At least 4. But I’ll often take advantage of heavily discounted specials if I’m interested in a particular show so it can be 2 or 3 more sometimes. But we cancel before the special expires.

All of my regular streaming providers are bundled in with other services we already use:
T-mobile pays for most of Netflix
Amazon Prime Video comes with Amazon Prime
PBS Passport is included with annual membership
Apple TV is included in a larger bundle which we use heavily.

Last edited:
No sharing.
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Hulu (partial pay)
HBO Max
Paramount +
Disney +
Apple TV

May as well have cable?

If you like to see 16 minutes of advertising for every hour of viewing time, then yes, stay with cable.

One of the primary reasons for cutting the cord is to get rid of advertising and its time robbing commercials.

May as well have cable?

We have FIOS at our main home and cable at our Jersey Shore home. YouTube TV for our Florida condo. We spend more than we need to, and if we ever need to cut expenses these will be the first to go.

Pay: I pay for 0, because that is part of "cutting the cord", for me. Otherwise what's the point other than bragging rights. I can find plenty of interesting free streaming on the internet, like free youtube or our local news stations' websites and so on.

I had Amazon Prime for years before it even offered streaming, and I still have it, but I never stream from it. I like it for shipping. So to me, it doesn't count as a paid streaming service since I don't use it that way.

"Borrow": Frank and I used to share his streaming services for perhaps one show/year, so we could watch something together over here at my house (next door to his house). Back then Netflix specifically said that was OK. Now that they don't like it, we never share. I don't really care because I don't like TV itself, I just like being with Frank while he watches TV.

Total spending on TV content: $0.00/year
Hollywood, eat your heart out.

I trimmed back very recently. Currently paying for:

Paramount + $10.59/mo, Amazon Prime $139/yr or $11.58/mo, PBS Passport $60/yr or $5/mo and Peacock (free with the Comcast cable bundled into our condo association fee)... so $27.17/mo in total.

We previously had Apple TV+. BritBox and HBOMax. If I find a show on Peacock that I like then I'll upgrade to the no-ad version for $5/mo because I hate ads.

We don't share at all.

We pay for three: Netflix, HBO Max, and AMZN Prime.
No borrowing, no sharing with others.

Back
Top Bottom