How many streaming services do you pay and “borrow”?

Simply discontinue Netflix, they will get the idea.

Well, yeah, except that I like them. I prefer to restrict my subscriptions to one service and this looks like the best for the money.

I will not, however, reward them by adding a separate subscription for DS and DDIL.

From the site I've read, it seems Netflix will be causing an issue for folks who are away from home longer than 31 days, because after 31 days, there will be a process to get a temporary login.

I do suspend (cancel) my service when we go on long trips, as I'm not going to watch netflix when we are in a foreign country.

We currently have;
YouTube tv mainly for local PBS and all the sports channels, hardly watch any network programming
Paramount+ got the half off promo for first year then will not renew
Prime video
Acorn will not be renewing
Peacock+ for a discounted price but will not renew after first year

We are not stealing or sharing any premium services.

From the site I've read, it seems Netflix will be causing an issue for folks who are away from home longer than 31 days, because after 31 days, there will be a process to get a temporary login.

I do suspend (cancel) my service when we go on long trips, as I'm not going to watch netflix when we are in a foreign country.

We travel by RV for over a month at a time so of they make the process difficult we'll drop the service. All of these streaming services are already of marginal worth so making them more difficult to use will probably push us over the edge.

Well, this is interesting. Netflix says that the posting about cracking down on password-sharing applied only to certain markets.

Here's the full article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/oth...A174zgz?cvid=fdd2730597bc4f608a271ed38d33944d

For now, as they are testing it and working out the issues in those countries.

I had Hulu for a while, but for some odd reason, every time I used it at home. It wanted me to sign in.
Putting in the password via the tv remote was a BIG PAIN. So I could run upstairs and input via the computer the code on the tv.. still very annoying.

I dropped Hulu, as instead we could turn on netflix and watch it no sign in needed as it remembered us.

If Netflix does this, besides some cancellations, I think lots of folks will change the password to 123456789 as that's easy to do on the tv remote. :facepalm:

Looks like the Great Netflix Crackdown has started. I got a somewhat ambiguous e-mail from Netflix telling me all the advantages of my "premium" account with some vague references to use at other sites/other devices. When I log into Netflix on my PC, all I can get is the program menu I get on my TV screen. There are plenty of articles such as the one below, however. It looks like I'm still OK when I travel, especially since I'm most likely to be streaming on my PC (which it will recognize) or will prompt me to request a code good for 7 days if I'm logging onto a device such as a hotel or Airbnb TV. I guess DS and DDIL will be prompted similarly if they try and sign on, in which case they're likely to discontinue use- they don't use it that much.

I was all for companies restricting the sharing of passwords when it was never permitted in the first place but up to now, the Netflix agreement was "max of two devices streaming at one time" with no requirements that they be in the same location. A rate increase in thin disguise.

https://lifehacker.com/netflixs-new-password-sharing-rules-and-how-to-get-aro-1850058887

"According to Netflix’s US instructions, it seems like it’s pretty easy to stream on devices that have never connected the household’s wifi.

If you try to watch on, say, your smart TV outside of the account holder’s house, you will initiate a prompt to verify that device.

The account holder will receive a four-digit code to their email or phone number, and you must enter that code on your device within 15 minutes.

If you do, your device will be verified as part of the household, and you should be good to go."

So a one-time deal and then the smart TV/streaming stick at my kid's place works from then on.

"According to Netflix’s US instructions, it seems like it’s pretty easy to stream on devices that have never connected the household’s wifi.

If you try to watch on, say, your smart TV outside of the account holder’s house, you will initiate a prompt to verify that device.

The account holder will receive a four-digit code to their email or phone number, and you must enter that code on your device within 15 minutes.

If you do, your device will be verified as part of the household, and you should be good to go."

So a one-time deal and then the smart TV/streaming stick at my kid's place works from then on.

Hmmm. I just don't see how that solves the problem of sharing one account with multiple households. It would be trivially easy to send a one-time code to a "borrower" whenever the "sharer" receives the code via email.

I'm still waiting to see how NF will deal with my (very common, I presume) situation. DW and I watch NF frequently at our primary home, and we watch it occasionally at our family vacation home and when we are traveling (at various Airbnbs, etc.). But we never watch from two devices in two different locations concurrently (which I think would be the most common sharing scenario). If they make it difficult for us to continue our non-sharing, legitimate usage of one account (that isn't exactly cheap, compared to other services!), I will probably end up canceling.

I guess this fits here. Sling just announced that as of March 1, ABC will be added to the lineup. That’s been the biggest glaring absence. They are raising the price $5/mo as a result. My wife is thrilled that she can watch GMA again.

Hmmm. I just don't see how that solves the problem of sharing one account with multiple households. It would be trivially easy to send a one-time code to a "borrower" whenever the "sharer" receives the code via email.

I'm still waiting to see how NF will deal with my (very common, I presume) situation. DW and I watch NF frequently at our primary home, and we watch it occasionally at our family vacation home and when we are traveling (at various Airbnbs, etc.). But we never watch from two devices in two different locations concurrently (which I think would be the most common sharing scenario). If they make it difficult for us to continue our non-sharing, legitimate usage of one account (that isn't exactly cheap, compared to other services!), I will probably end up canceling.

We watch Netflix when we travel as many hotels now have smart TVs that let you log in to your streaming services. They certainly need to allow that. If it means some 2FA I’m okay with that.

We watch Netflix when we travel as many hotels now have smart TVs that let you log in to your streaming services. They certainly need to allow that. If it means some 2FA I’m okay with that.

Same here, 2FA is perfectly fine. But it won't solve the problem of account sharing. Just makes it ever so slightly harder.

Same here, 2FA is perfectly fine. But it won't solve the problem of account sharing. Just makes it ever so slightly harder.
Agreed. We have to do that with a couple of things now, like our Amazon account. If my wife or daughter get signed out for some reason, when they sign back in I get a confirmation code. If I'm not home, I text it to them.

Back
Top Bottom