How many streaming services do you pay and “borrow”?

Might be a good time to just throw the thing out!:D
I would do it but a couple of years ago DW found a show that she wanted to watch, so she used the TV a bit then. Mostly watched on her computer tho. So for peace in the family it stays.

We're about to switch off AT&T U-Verse and go with Sling Blue plus Discovery+. So, two services.

One of our Roku's has had our kid's Netflix account tied to it for a while, but my wife and I never use it. They will use it when they come to visit us. I suspect that's in the spirit of the rules with Netflix.

-Tidal (music) $12 monthly
-YouTube Premium $16 monthly
-NBA LP $129 annual charge
-Usenext $80 annual charge
-Curiosity Stream Premium (access to Somm TV, Tastemade, Topic,
Nebula, One Day University, and Da Vinci Kids) $ 69 annual charge

Total annual cost: $614.00

Last edited:
I would do it but a couple of years ago DW found a show that she wanted to watch, so she used the TV a bit then. Mostly watched on her computer tho. So for peace in the family it stays.

Understand. Plus you would have to fill the opening where it was located. :D

Netflix only and I pay for it. When I signed up it was for a max of 2 devices with no requirement that they be on the same household so DS and DDIL use it. They tell me they don't use it that often so if Netflix changes their terms and requires that they pay separately they'll stop using it.

Might be a good time to just throw the thing out!:D

Same situation here; no cable, no paid streaming services, no desire to watch much of what Hollywood turns out. But Frank found a great use for my 60" Panasonic plasma TV. On leisurely weekend mornings, we watch regular (free) youtube real estate videos on it that show extravagant multi-multi-million dollar mansions. While watching we make snarky comments about the pretentious design choices which is always fun. :D

And then I thank the heavens above that I don't have to take care of a place that big! :D

I also use my TV when a hurricane is approaching, although these days one can get most of that type of TV coverage on local TV websites.

A bit OT but when I was following a discussion on NextDoor on this topic a few people mentioned getting "essential" Internet services at a discount, which providers offer to low-income subscribers as required by the FCC. Most had added streaming services to it and one (who said money was tight) had a total cost of $105/month with only $30 of it being Google Fiber.:facepalm:

It seems very common based upon news media that families/friends share logins to some streaming services. Some will attempt to start to charge or monetize on this practice.

as well they should. it's one thing if cousin eddie is living with the family full-time but it's quite another to share with your next door neighbor. if not specifically allowed in the TOS that would be 'theft of service'.

in addition to Xfinity cable we subscribe to...

Netflix
Paramount Plus
Prime Video (separately, we are not Prime subscribers)
Peacock (no addditional $ since we have Xfinity)
HBOMax (no additional $ since we get HBO thru Xfinity)
Apple TV+
Acorn

Last edited:
Pay for YTTV, Prime and Netflix, but Netflix is comp’ed by TMobile. Thinking of signing back up for HBO, probably as a free trial. We loved the 1st season of White Lotus and want to see season 2. We have a few free channels, like Roku, that actually have decent content and aren’t too difficult to navigate. I found the old Dennis Weaver movie “Duel” (Spielberg’s first movie) the other day and loved watching it again.

I’d cancel Netflix if TMobile didn’t pay for it. I can’t ever find anything and since there’s no ratings, I can’t discern what’s good. Half the movies I pick are foreign. I feel like I’m stuck in an 80s Blockbuster on a Friday night and all the good stuff is already rented out.

Maybe I'll learn something here... "In this context", is borrowing the logon info for a paid for streaming service the same as stealing?

unless the TOS permits it, yes. theft of service. the streaming service would have to catch you and the account holder could face fines or a disconnect. the borrower might be asked to pay up. criminal TOS charges might occur in only extreme cases (example: one account being shared with many famillies).

-Tidal (music) $12 monthly
-YouTube Premium $16 monthly
-NBA LP $129 annual charge
-Usenext $80 annual charge
-Curiosity Stream Premium (access to Somm TV, Tastemade, Topic,
Nebula, One Day University, and Da Vinci Kids) $ 69 annual charge

Total annual cost: $614.00

Usenext pricing seems pretty horrible. You can get a year of usenet for way cheaper than $80 without the ridiculously low download caps Usenext seems to have.

We pay for Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS Passport, BritBox. Never have borrowed or lent and never will.

Cheers!

I pay for multiple streaming services regularly borrowed by other family members.

Threatening to crack down on the above is so much chin music, trotted out for shareholder conferences.

You're already restricted to a certain number of simultaneous streams per service anyway.

One of my services recently added another simultaneous stream for no additional charge.

Last edited:
YTTV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, no "sharing". When we go visit the kids, there is usually some downtime in the evenings and we see the top shows on AppleTV and Hulu. Can't really recall the last good Netflix show, we probably ought to cancel.

We dropped Prime a year ago and never missed it. Content stinks anyhoo.

Dog/housesitter logs into her Netflix and Hulu account and told us to just use it so she doesn't have to re-login every time she comes here. Now I'm wondering if she has other services... Hmmm

We just rotate in and out of the different services as they all have good (and mostly bad) content. Binge 1-2 months & move on.

We are only a month or so from cord cutting and are feeling our way. We have a couple of Roku TVs and 1 Roku stick.

Hulu -1.99/mo special
Philo: 15/mo special with T-mobile
Paramount+: free for 1 year with T-mobile
Prime: part of Amazon
Netflix: borrowed from son's account on only 1 of our TVs. I would guess maybe 1 time per week.

There are a number of other free apps that we use. Mostly me when I want something different. And do a bit of time-shifting of OTA programming thru an antenna and Tablo.

My gut feeling is that signing on to a service to binge watch and then cancelling, moving on to another service the next month is too much work. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future.

We pay for Netflix and Prime and our daughter pays for Hulu and Disney. We have a grown son so we share between 3 households but none of us watch any of the services individually enough to justify paying for individual accounts. None of them have enough unique content to justify the cost for only one household. When they crack down on password sharing we'll probably drop all of them.

unless the TOS permits it, yes. theft of service. the streaming service would have to catch you and the account holder could face fines or a disconnect. the borrower might be asked to pay up. criminal TOS charges might occur in only extreme cases (example: one account being shared with many families).

I know that Netflix has started requiring separate accounts by household in various countries in Central America. If they implement that in the USA I am assuming they will inform me me accordingly and give me time to make any necessary changes. In my case, I'd let DS and DDIL know and then change the password. If they were to pull any of the above without notice that would be the end of Netflix for me.

Prime - streaming is the secondary use of my prime membership.

Netflix - kids have access to this... Both are at their college locations, and only one is still a dependent.

Just added Paramount Plus - but it's free through t-mobile.

I add Hulu for a 'free trial' whenever a full season of Handmaids tale drops. Binge it, then cancel. I've been known to add HBOMAX and ShowtimeToGo, through Amazon, when there were shows I wanted to binge - then cancel them after 1 month.

Pay for Paramount + and Showtime in a bundle deal. I get Peacock free through Comcast internet but probably built into the price. And that's it for now. During College football season I'll go with YTTV or Sling. Oh....I don't borrow from anyone.

Share Netflix, Prime (does not include Prime Video)
Don't share Hulu, Disney+, EPSN+ trio package.
YouTube Music

Total monthly sub fee's are around ~$50 so we spend about $600 a year on subscriptions. I also have a $20/month USENET subscription where I download movies for our home theater. $840 if you include that. I much prefer watching MOST movies in our home theater, but we do watch the occasional blockbuster at the theater (Avatar Way of the Water 3D, Top Gun Maverick) were the last 2 we saw...and I took DW out for her birthday to see some Psycho scary movie flick she wanted to see. All the other movies are consumed at home.

Amazon Prime
Hulu (discount rate)
Peacock (included with Xfinity internet)
Paramount Plus (discount annual premium rate)

We pay for them. We did have YouTube TV for football season, but discontinued it recently.

We have Netflix TV on 1 TV that is on our DD's account. Our DGD watches it sometimes when she is over. My DGS wanted to watch it on our other TV, but I told my DH that I have no idea what the password is, so he couldn't watch anything. We do not watch Netflix. I know one time that they put Disney on our TV, so that their kids could watch it when they were here, but I have no idea if it is still on or not. We don't watch it either. The DGKs also like playing video games when they are here, but we don't like them watching too much TV or too much video games. Last night, I played Sorry and SkipBo Junior with the 6 yr and 8 yr old and their dad. The 6 yr old also played with Legos. We play Rummikub, 5 Crowns and 500 Rummy with our 14 yr old DGD. Last night she was playing Wingspan with her DM on the phone. They also have the board game at home and we have played it there.

Back
Top Bottom