Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a just off center introvert. I have had no problem with lockdown, but I also miss travel like some others said.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Myers Briggs tests over a career were interesting for me. I started out as INTJ and moved to the center over time. Mega used to screen prospective senior managers (after a nasty episode of sociopaths running the joint) and a head doctor summed up a 2 day testing session with me as: "you are a midtrovert with a strong ego." Paid more attention to keeping ego in the pocket after that.
DW and I are 59/59. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension available but will remain untouched until mid sixties to grow, max SS for DH at FRA or 70. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG next few years. AA 40% stocks, 7% cash and 53% Intermediate Treasury fund. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Big time introvert here. But I love to travel, so BS lock down sucks big time. Being an introvert and staying home are not synonymous.
Agree. I lean introverted but don't like to be home. Like to be by myself at times in publicly busy places. Need the people energy just don't have to engage directly.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:12 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Loving this time at home, especially at this time of the year. When I worked I often had to get ready in the dark and drive in the cold towards the rising sun to work, sit inside all day while it was lovely and warm and sunny outside, then drive home into the setting sun, arriving just before dark, which left no time to exercise either.

I just love being at home at this time of the year, being able to go out into the garden between 11 and 3 and walking the dog before the sun sets. Winter in Queensland is delightful, so yes I am loving being at home. Not missing much and enjoying homey things is wonderful after 45 years in the work force.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:29 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Iím an introvert - spend most of the day in my workshop or hiking the most desolate place nearby. The last few months have been great - no crowds to deal with.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:32 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I test as an introvert but I think I’m in the middle. I need/enjoy some time to myself but I need/enjoy the company of others too - friends, acquaintances and strangers. We just moved to a new place last Summer and we’re still making new friends, Covid brought that to a halt. And of my 6 favorite activities, only 2 have come back so far. Even fewer for DW. We’ve also put off travel, but we’re not world travelers, mostly 1-2 day trips. So we’re tired of (semi) lockdown, not fun. A couple times a week lately, DW and I have just decided we need to get out even if there’s nowhere we really need to go...usually we go to a park or the lake.

OTOH we loved the first 3-4 weeks of lockdown since Lowe's & Home Depot were "essential." We got all the inside and outside home projects we'd been putting off done, big and small, it was gratifying!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:33 AM   #27

When I was in school/high school/college, I played sports, was involved in student gov't, Boy Scouts, Honor Roll Society, worked in a hardware store and dated. Once with mega corp as a production foreman, I always had people around me, working on a common goal, and pretty successful at it, if I say so myself. I have always enjoyed working with people through out my life, and have met a lot of interesting people as tenants. I thought I would miss w*rk as a shift foreman with 150 people, but I was able to walk away easily, even after 35 years. I enjoy being with DW on long hikes/travels by ourselves, I don't think I could handle being alone without DW. At this point, I could never imagine being an introvert.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:02 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Red Badger--I guess I need to a better definition of introverts. Can you tell me how you define it?
I'll try. Interacting with groups of people can be exhausting for me. Family and friends are welcome and cause no stress. If I can interact / make a transaction with a machine in lieu of a person, I feel better. Crowds don't bother me as I can ignore them. The people in the crowd can be a PITA.

Signed, INTJ
Old 06-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Me, I'll yuk it up with anyone, anywhere; clerks in banks, cashiers in supermarkets, library staff.....but I prefer to do it on my feet where I can say "See Ya" and depart after finite interactions.

One, (a minor one, and certainly not the 'only'), reason that we (virtually) never go to the dining rooms on ships is that I (and DW feels the same) don't want to get stuck at a particular table with a bunch of people in whom I/we have no interest...(and I'm sure they'd feel the same about me).........and as for going on tours.."Aaaargghh!"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #30

I'm an introvert, and was shocked that, in the beginning, I was sad about the lock down. As time went on, I began to relax. I retired almost two years ago, and prior to the pandemic I was feeling a little bit at loose ends, like I should be doing something 'more' with my life. Not being able to get out forced me to learn to relax. Lots of reading, exercise, re-learning to play the piano, cooking (and eating it, darn it) and sitting on the patio watching the golfers with DH made me realize this is WHY we retired.

All that said, I do miss commerce as it used to be. Running out to get hand soap can just ain't what it used to me. And, I miss church and travel. Things are opening back up, but I feel like this was a good calming exercise for me.

I'll always be an introvert, but moving a few years a go to a small neighborhood of mostly retired folks was a real blessing during these past few months. Every walk or bike ride provided ample opportunity for visiting from across the street, and I now also appreciate this new neighborhood more than ever.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
So for those of you who are introverts are you like Red Badger and love to travel? If so do you go solo? I am an an extrovert (or I thought I was because I generally like being around people) but I have always hated group travel. In fact, I am not planning on traveling any time soon and that does not bother me at all.

I like to travel, but on my own terms. DW and I plan our own routes and activities, make our own reservations, and away we go. I can't imagine ever going on a trip where I'm at someone else's mercy, like a group tour or cruise. Or even have someone else plan a trip for me. I think a lot of introverts also like to be in control. I know I do.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #32

I am the person that started the thread and after reading the posts from true introverts I am thinking I am still an extrovert --I like being in large groups of people and talking to people--but what I am thinking is that I am now enjoying the lack of a schedule. I have been retired many years but if you looked at my calendar before March you would think I was running a big business- meetings for nonprofits and church, meeting friends for lunch/dinner, social gatherings, athletic events, classes, lectures, etc etc. My calendar was full. I was just over scheduled and now I am liking no schedule except for a few Zoom events.

I have also decided I really don't like eating in most restaurants--they were crowded, expensive, food mediocre. We are enjoying cooking and eating at home now with occasional take outs. My favorite restaurant has not reopened which is sad.

As for travel, I never have liked group travel--I want to travel on my own schedule. I had almost quit flying a few years ago--flying had got to be too much of a hassle-- planes crammed, flights cancelled and not able to reschedule for days. The last time my flight was cancelled and I had to sleep at the airport because no hotel rooms were available I said no more. I had a motorhome for years and enjoyed that until all the campgrounds became so crowded I never could get a reservation. We also had a sailboat and then a trawler boat and loved that until arthritis made it too hard for my husband. Now when we travel we travel by car. We had 3 trips scheduled this year that have been cancelled but I am not really sad about that.

I think I have learned some things about myself over the last 3 months that will cause me to do things differently in the future.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #33

I have no problem talking to strangers. If I notice someone interesting I'll comment or say something to see how they interact. But I take most joy listening to others, watching their body language and understanding their motives, opinions etc. People are fascinating especially when they reveal their backgrounds and secrets.

A friend from high school had 2 personas. She was popular, outgoing and laughed a lot. Her home life, not so nice. I knew much of her background and secrets. She was raised by a single mom, never spoke of her father and they had financial distress. She lived in a poorer area. But she had an amazing positive attitude.
Where is she now? Got involved in the cell phone industry early on. Now a multimillionaire with property next to Jack Nicholson.

I guess that's one reason I'm not afraid of strangers and people. They are so interesting and will surprise me, most of the time.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:17 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

While we're touching on travel:

Ships......a) We enjoy transatlantic repositioning, (either way), because we, (like many people), don't like airports or flying.

b) Others, primarily Eastern Med, we use as hop-on-hop off (although we stay on), simply for the convenience, and to let DW see places she's never previously visited.

We don't travel with people, although a couple like minded friends from Missouri, who we've hooked up with on occasion, concurred that the four of us could travel for a while because there's no obligation to be joined at the hip.

Regular travel: Our (flexible) itinerary - local trains, airbnb's, and wandering down back alleys away from the proverbial "Madding Crowds".

Two cordial loners together.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I like to travel, but on my own terms. DW and I plan our own routes and activities, make our own reservations, and away we go. I can't imagine ever going on a trip where I'm at someone else's mercy, like a group tour or cruise. Or even have someone else plan a trip for me. I think a lot of introverts also like to be in control. I know I do.

That's us to a tee as well. I plan the hell out of our trips. We fly out of necessity due to all the compounding hassles of flying, that usually begin at the airport parking deck.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember when I first read the definition of introvert vs extrovert. It was such an eye opener for me. I thought I just didn't like people. The simple definition has been noted here. Introverts recharge by being alone. Extroverts recharge by being around other people. That's it. I now understand why I have a limit of how long I can be in a crowd. Now I just plan my time better.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Extrovert - This was a great dinner party! Fantastic people, conversation and food. But, it's ending and it's only 12:30 AM. Who wants to join me at a great little bar I know of on the beach?

Introvert - This was a great dinner party! Fantastic people, conversation and food. Time for bed. Tomorrow night I think I will stay home with a good book.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #38

I’ve always been an introvert and homebody, but the lockdown coupled with a kind of retirement at the start of the year has meant everything slowed way down. DH liked to get out of the house—every day there was a trip out for something. I could stay at home for weeks as long as I have enough materials for projects. After not going out for months, he has completely come round.

We have been really enjoying the slower pace. DH made the comment that our family feels like it’s in a way better place without all of the hustle and bustle. We will be cutting waaay back on kids activities after this.

So with respect to the original question, it’s amplified my introvert/homebody tendencies and it’s definitely converted my DH.
tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:38 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I'm an extreme introvert and homebody, and during normal times I love staying at home by myself. At times like that, it would be my own decision to do so.

But also I HATE being bossed around! Being told that I should stay home whether I wanted to or not, was very upsetting to me. On the one hand, I wanted to tell TPTB to take their lockdown and shove it, but on the other hand I did not want to endanger myself or others so I reluctantly, resentfully complied.

Thank goodness, restrictions are lifting here in the New Orleans suburbs. We are in Phase 1 of re-opening, and starting Phase 2 tomorrow. Much better.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I have no problem talking to strangers. If I notice someone interesting I'll comment or say something to see how they interact. But I take most joy listening to others, watching their body language and understanding their motives, opinions etc. People are fascinating especially when they reveal their backgrounds and secrets.

A friend from high school had 2 personas. She was popular, outgoing and laughed a lot. Her home life, not so nice. I knew much of her background and secrets. She was raised by a single mom, never spoke of her father and they had financial distress. She lived in a poorer area. But she had an amazing positive attitude.
Where is she now? Got involved in the cell phone industry early on. Now a multimillionaire with property next to Jack Nicholson.

I guess that's one reason I'm not afraid of strangers and people. They are so interesting and will surprise me, most of the time.
When I was younger, I didn't usually talk to strangers if I didn't have too - didn't initiate and minimal responses to others. Nowadays I'll try to talk to anyone when we're out and about, and I'm finding I enjoy it. You can tell almost immediately if they want to talk, or they have anything interesting to say, and "nothing ventured, nothing gained." Most people are nice, I didn't expect that when I was younger - my assumptions were wrong...

Too soon old, too late smart.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote