I just got offered a job...

And yet, you're going to waste (IMO) more time on Monday to negotiate working less at a job you really don't want or need? :confused: :facepalm:
Might want it, sort of need it...hoping to convince them to make it part time (three days a week...)

This happens more often than you think it would. Get your interview, feel good then probably move on back to retirement.:greetings10:
Wow, you might be spot on with this observation !!:)
I have three days to think about it, and discuss it with my hubby, and read all the responses here over and over. I do not want to string these people along, because they are so nice and also because frankly they need to hire right away - but I need to be sure about this.

Might want it, sort of need it...hoping to convince them to make it part time (three days a week...)

Not sure how you and DH envisioned spending time in retirement, but a job that requires 3 days/week, combined with a bad commute, will be closer to working full-time than it will to being retired. One of the best things about retirement is having the flexibility to spend your time as you wish. I can’t imagine committing to anything that requires 3 days/week of my time.

Do you feel that you "sort of need it" because of the 2 major household expenses this year? These types of expenses come up once on awhile, but usually aren't ongoing.

Not sure how you and DH envisioned spending time in retirement, but a job that requires 3 days/week, combined with a bad commute, will be closer to working full-time than it will to being retired. One of the best things about retirement is having the flexibility to spend your time as you wish. I can’t imagine committing to anything that requires 3 days/week of my time.

+1

If they offer the job, and you feel you need to accept, see if it's possible to work at least one of the 3 days from home.

Another thought: If you accept this job and feel it's more trouble than it's worth after awhile, you can always quit, right?

Another thought: If you accept this job and feel it's more trouble than it's worth after awhile, you can always quit, right?
True, but I'd feel pretty bad about letting them down if I did.

Do you feel that you "sort of need it" because of the 2 major household expenses this year? These types of expenses come up once on awhile, but usually aren't ongoing.

+1

Yep, that's the main reason. I agree, with any luck those types of expenses won't happen again soon (keeping my fingers crossed - strange how both happened this year!) But it sure cuts into my savings, that I have to live on for a year until I get to SS.
Other reasons are that I would like the challenge...and also that I'm nervous about not having anything to do. From what I've read here, I'll get over it (smile!)

True, but I'd feel pretty bad about letting them down if I did.

You don't owe them anything. Your OP lists so many downsides to this, it isn't funny. Why do you feel so obligated already, just because of a job offer? Believe me, if they felt you weren't working out, you'd be gone with little to no notice. No worries on their part about letting you down.

Isn't retirement supposed to be a time of freedom and relief from obligations to employers?

Yep, that's the main reason. I agree, with any luck those types of expenses won't happen again soon (keeping my fingers crossed - strange how both happened this year!) But it sure cuts into my savings, that I have to live on for a year until I get to SS.
Other reasons are that I would like the challenge...and also that I'm nervous about not having anything to do. From what I've read here, I'll get over it (smile!)

Okay so at least you recognize your reasons for potentially wanting the job.
However as you have referenced, your last reason of not having anything to do is something that very few at least on this site experience, especially as time goes on.

Same for me. Earlier I thought I might work part time, but my conditions make me unemployable. Conditions like short commute short hours casual dress, work I enjoy, summers off...

Agree- The question becomes how much (healthy) TIME do you want to leave on the table...

I will admit that I didn't read all the replies. But to the OP.... NO. Don't do it!!!

There are times/places that call for going back to w*rk (GASP!!!) but that doesn't appear to be the case for you.

I'm young enough to still work...

Perhaps, but you (and all of us) are certainly old enough to DIE. ;)

Sounds like your mind is made up despite some very good member statements against working.
If so, then good luck and let us know some updates.

Late to the party (as usual), but going to throw in my 2 cents anyway....
Went throught this last year. After 4 years of ER, a friend called up and convinced me to sign on full time with a start-up he was working for. Yes, he appealed to my ego, the money was very good, and I had been missing the technical challenges.
Short story, after 3 months, I'd had enough, but was convinced to work three days a week (for the same $$) Great, right?
Nope.
Three days in an intense job are surprisingly just as stressful as 5 days.
After 6 more months, I realized that I'd rather spend my days doing what I wanted,
and I'd worked hard, saved and planned a long time to earn that option. Why give it up?

(I worry about that - he's 9 years older than I am, and the type that needs something to do and that's one reason I retired with him, so we could do things together.)
Sigh...
Sounds like you already answered the question.....

Sounds like your mind is made up despite some very good member statements against working.
If so, then good luck and let us know some updates.

Yep, my mind is made up...I let them know today that I was very regretfully going to have to decline the job offer.

I was scheduled for a walk through the place tomorrow (Monday) and decided that it wasn't fair to them to take their time if I was sure I'd refuse the offer. They were so nice about it - asked that I let them know if circumstances changed and I was available. That made me feel good - they didn't close the door if I change my mind.

Now I feel relieved and sort of sad at the same time. My hubby is very happy. He has been so supportive throughout the whole decision-making process - I am very lucky to have married the perfect guy for me!

I cannot begin to tell you folks here how much I appreciate your letting me "think out loud" and receive all of these wonderfully helpful responses from you all. You have given me a real gift (as you have so many times before) as I traveled the path to this time in my life. You are all pretty darn special! Thank you so much!

Yep, my mind is made up...I let them know today that I was very regretfully going to have to decline the job offer.

I was scheduled for a walk through the place tomorrow (Monday) and decided that it wasn't fair to them to take their time if I was sure I'd refuse the offer. They were so nice about it - asked that I let them know if circumstances changed and I was available. That made me feel good - they didn't close the door if I change my mind.

Now I feel relieved and sort of sad at the same time. My hubby is very happy. He has been so supportive throughout the whole decision-making process - I am very lucky to have married the perfect guy for me!

I cannot begin to tell you folks here how much I appreciate your letting me "think out loud" and receive all of these wonderfully helpful responses from you all. You have given me a real gift (as you have so many times before) as I traveled the path to this time in my life. You are all pretty darn special! Thank you so much!

Sounds like a good decision in the end. The initial "what if" sadness will dissipate over time and you will love this best part of your life.

Congrats!!! That is a great decision and I am fairly certain that your grief will be very, VERY short lived! :dance:

He says it's my decision, and is being very helpful as I work through the conversations with the prospective employer and with reasons to work again, pro and con. I think he'd honestly prefer me not to take the job, though. But he will probably be working part time on an occasional basis starting September, and we don't know how often, maybe four or five times a month, then a two-three month full time (substituting for a friend who needs that time off.)
The commute will be bad, too...
So there are reasons not to take it, and only a few reasons to take it - the money, I like challenges, and I'm young enough to still work...sigh...
It's my upbringing, too...I hate to leave money on the table. What if something happens in the future when I'll really need money and because of my age and retirement status, can't get a job to earn it? How much will I regret the decision to not take this job then?
Anybody got a crystal ball?
I don't know where you live, but where I lived a well and a septic was a very large expense! I totally understand the take it while it is there sentiment.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom