I love this retirement life!

I always warn folks who express a certain level of envy that I am retired (early) that I still live my life - I just don't w*rk anymore. So "stuff" happens (illness, disappointment, loses, etc.) There ARE lots of advantages to retirement and those of us retired for a while could easily name 20 advantages (or 10 for those of us glass-half-empty types - you know who you are :LOL: )

I think the biggest realization is that, even if you move (as we did) to an amazing place, life goes on. The opening of the movie "The Descendants" gives a pretty depressing view of life in the Islands. But, it's true. I think the saying is "Where ever you go, there you are." You take your baggage and most of your problems with you. Hopefully, what you moved for is what you get. Just don't count on all problems leaving you - in your move or in your retirement. Of course, as always, YMMV.

I always warn folks who express a certain level of envy that I am retired (early) that I still live my life - I just don't w*rk anymore. So "stuff" happens (illness, disappointment, loses, etc.) There ARE lots of advantages to retirement and those of us retired for a while could easily name 20 advantages (or 10 for those of us glass-half-empty types - you know who you are :LOL: )

I think the biggest realization is that, even if you move (as we did) to an amazing place, life goes on. The opening of the movie "The Descendants" gives a pretty depressing view of life in the Islands. But, it's true. I think the saying is "Where ever you go, there you are." You take your baggage and most of your problems with you. Hopefully, what you moved for is what you get. Just don't count on all problems leaving you - in your move or in your retirement. Of course, as always, YMMV.

I read this to my DH, and we to really appreciate your viewpoint. DH agrees with me that "Where ever you go, there you are." We are lucky - and our hard work helped to make our luck! - in that we have enough, not a lot compared to many, but enough, and in that we are happy with our lot in life, both while working and now.

Last edited:
Like you, we loved our work...but this is nice, too:)

For the most part I believe that attitude is everything and happiness is not found but created. Still, after retiring and selling the farm and moving close to the grandkids I'm struggling..

I was just mowing the front yard today, and thinking what a luxury it is to have the time to do it, as I used to pay a gardener to do it to save me TIME! Love my never-ending summer. I still need to be pinched from time to time...

I was just mowing the front yard today, and thinking what a luxury it is to have the time to do it, as I used to pay a gardener to do it to save me TIME! Love my never-ending summer. I still need to be pinched from time to time...

Same here as I planted some bright red "Dragon's Breath Celosias" today in 85 degrees.

Same here as I planted some bright red "Dragon's Breath Celosias" today in 85 degrees.

Wow. 85 degrees. Sounds wonderful! It's only 73 in HON and I'm freezing! Did I ever mention I hate winter (guess it's actually spring, but, well, you know.)

YMMV

The one thing I look forward to each day since retiring, is eating off of a large glass plate. Lol I know that sound crazy but for 40 years career I never had the chance to eat a nice lunch on a plate. Some of it was the way I worked I didn't take the time. On occasions I was able to sit down with a glass plate but rare in 40 plus years of work.

I’m not sure how old you are, I’m 76, but I totally relate to what you are saying. Some years ago, I had a really nasty cancer and tons of treatment and a bunch of other stuff and I am now living in the bonus round. I wish you the same.

I do exactly what I want 99% of the time. I play in a rock band in bars for fun (well, until COVID. We had our first gig in 14 months last Friday and it was OK. So I think the door has not closed completely.)
I work out at the gym six days a week because it’s necessary to keep the parts moving at my age. (Hip replacements)

But I totally applaud your direction. Keep it up. And have fun when you do start to travel, we did it a lot. I had a bucket list and totally exhausted it, so I had to make a new one. Uh, This is a serious first world problem.

I hope you enjoy yourselves and all your dreams come true. Or at least half of it if that happens, you’re good.

The one thing I look forward to each day since retiring, is eating off of a large glass plate. Lol I know that sound crazy but for 40 years career I never had the chance to eat a nice lunch on a plate. Some of it was the way I worked I didn't take the time. On occasions I was able to sit down with a glass plate but rare in 40 plus years of work.

Street, that is an interesting take. My Megacorp had very decent - if a bit institutional china ("real" coffee cups, "matched" silverware, etc.) I occasionally managed an invite into the executive dining room(s) at Corporate center and I felt bad about soiling the cloth napkins and crystal goblets.

At home we use (rinse and reuse) styro plates and (rinse and reuse) plastic ware we carry home from fast food joints. Our chopsticks are all wooden disposable ones (we don't reuse) picked up from restaurants or take out - just ask for extra.

But, I can really understand what you are saying. Sometimes there are just aspects of w*rk/Corporate life that you wish to leave behind. Weird as it sounds, I always hated using the company bathrooms though they were a lot cleaner than a lot of "fine dining" places I've been.

There are 8 Million stories in the FIRE world. THIS has been one of them:popcorn::greetings10::flowers:

For the most part I believe that attitude is everything and happiness is not found but created. Still, after retiring and selling the farm and moving close to the grandkids I'm struggling..

As a lifelong country girl, I can see that selling your farm would be very hard...moving away from land for which you were the caretaker seems to be like leaving a member of your family behind. I hope it is in good hands. Were you a farmer for a long time?

Well Written and So True

Very well written. Almost like a short short story. Sounds like a great life you have. I retired a year and 4 months ago and over the past few months I have noticed a change in my need to get things done without tension in my shoulders and actually savor the moment and enjoy what I am working on. The hurry hurry rush rush of work life and the constant juggling of several tasks at the same time is hard to get out of your system. I still like to see the fruits of my labor, just more on my terms. I believe I have finally made it to that promised land were I get done what I get done everyday, but follow my feelings on stress and relaxation (naps) to just do what I want when I want. It does take a little time to break old work habits of got to get tasks done fast and right now. Like writing this message. When I was working this wouldn't have been done. Love being retired!!! DP

Back
Top Bottom