Idle Inspirations: celebrating laziness

ER Eddie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm someone who has been socially programmed from an early age to be productive. I've learned the importance of hard work. When I have free time, I try to spend it wisely -- which in practice usually means developing "to do" lists and carrying them out. The problem is that although I learn a lot and get a lot done, much of the activity is not all that important and seems to be there primarily so that I can avoid not having anything to do. When I have nothing to do, I feel vaguely uneasy.

I don't like this. So I'm going to intentionally try to cultivate a less action-oriented mindset. I thought it might help me (and maybe some other people) if I did this publicly, in the form of a thread, sharing some of my thoughts or inspirations along the way.

Note:I'm not interested in debates. This isn't a thread for arguing whether it's better to be idle or productive, or "what if everyone just sat around doing nothing all the time." This is a thread to cultivate the appreciation of idleness. If you want to tell me how unproductive I'm being, or how you would feel like a failure if you just sat around and did nothing, go away, far away; I've got enough voices in my head telling me that already. That's why the thread.

I'll kick it off with a few quotes I liked. I'll come back periodically and post more.

----------

"We do not know today whether we are busy or idle. In times when we thought ourselves indolent, we have afterwards discovered that much was accomplished and much was begun in us." - Emerson

"The idler is by definition an amateur. His few pastimes are pursued sporadically and at a leisurely pace, as a source of pleasure. His time is spent exactly as he chooses. He feels nauseous at the mere whiff of professionalism, for a simple diversion is transformed into a compulsory and cheerless chore if pursued professionally. Instantly it becomes obligatory and contractual. Even art and literature become dreary and dull if transformed into work. But the idler refuses all work. He will do only that which he finds interesting, pleasurable, or amusing. And as soon as his chosen pastime loses its charm, he will immediately cease to follow this course." - Stephen Robins

"The great-souled man will not compete for the common objects or ambition or go where other people take first place. He will be idle and slow to act." - Aristotle

"The philosophers of antiquity taught contempt for work, that degradation of the free man. The poets sang of idleness, that gift from the gods." - Paul LaFargue

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat." - Lily Tomlin

"Go back to the very beginning. What was Adam, I should like to know, but a loafer? Did he do anything but loaf?" - Whitman

"Christianity should have nothing against loafing. Jesus in his Sermon on the Mount preached idleness: 'Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they toil not, neither do they spin.' Jesus may well have been following the example set by his dad, God. After six days of work, the Creator decided that he would not create anymore; instead, he would rest for all eternity. Nietzsche claimed that God is dead. This is incorrect. God's not dead. He's just loafing." - S. Robins

I'm someone who has been socially programmed from an early age to be productive.

A lot of us had this ball and chain programmed in, starting before kindergarten. When I retired I did have to think about this and finally arrived at the conclusion that that was what I'd been ultimately working for - the freedom to do nothing, or something, as I pleased and with no one to answer to for those choices. Also note my tagline.

"Idleness" might be a matter of context however..

Are you considered idle if you're out snow skiing? Or just when you return to the resort deck and get a drink, sit in the sun and watch the girls go by?
Are you idle if you own an art gallery (but only open it 'by appointment' which hasn't happend for 9 months)?
Is varnishing your boat being idle? Or only when you fall asleep in the cockpit afterwards?
Is traveling to Barcelona for two weeks being idle? Or just when you're sitting in a sidewalk cafe there?
Sitting on the beach is being idle for sure. But what if someone starts to drown nearby...does getting up to help still count?

What's the criteria? I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Last edited:
I have been very busy in retirement, mostly doing activities that provide joy to me or DW (or both of us).

However, after walking the fur-kid, 6-7:30 AM belongs to me and I like it that way.

I also love my hammock. Only 20-30 minutes a day, but I try to fit it in, weather permitting (or, more accurately, fit me in). Sometimes a power nap, other days, just extreme relaxing. If I have my e-reader, can be hours.

Outsourcing quite a few things I used to do - - - my time here is finite and unknown. I still DIY lots of stuff, but just the smaller jobs. If I'm working 10-12 hours a day on a remodel, I've unretired. I can't allow that to happen. I retired to give up money for my time. We're in discussions about adding a housekeeper perhaps a half-day each week. DW deserves more free time as well.

Good luck in pursuit of idleness! :dance:

Is traveling to Barcelona for two weeks being idle? Or just when you're sitting in a sidewalk cafe there?
That statement struck a chord with me. In Venice, after riding the Vaporettos all day, we ended up by taking one down the Grand Canal and stopped for a coffee near the Doge's Palace just about sunset. We watched as the setting sun glowed through the lights and windows of the cathedral. That is NOT idleness

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 55
As time goes on, you will probably feel more relaxed in doing nothing. For example I played 2 hours of pickleball today, made dinner, one load of laundry and 1 hour of tax stuff for my parents.
Still overall, will hang out at this forum/relax/watch tv/nap and do nothing for 10 hours.

"The idler is by definition an amateur. His few pastimes are pursued sporadically and at a leisurely pace, as a source of pleasure. His time is spent exactly as he chooses. He feels nauseous at the mere whiff of professionalism, for a simple diversion is transformed into a compulsory and cheerless chore if pursued professionally. Instantly it becomes obligatory and contractual. Even art and literature become dreary and dull if transformed into work. But the idler refuses all work. He will do only that which he finds interesting, pleasurable, or amusing. And as soon as his chosen pastime loses its charm, he will immediately cease to follow this course." - Stephen Robins

Wordy me, couldn't do better than that. ;)

Are you considered idle if you're out snow skiing? Or just when you return to the resort deck and get a drink, sit in the sun and watch the girls go by?
Are you idle if you own an art gallery (but only open it 'by appointment' which hasn't happend for 9 months)?
Is varnishing your boat being idle? Or only when you fall asleep in the cockpit afterwards?
Sitting on the beach is being idle for sure. But what if someone starts to drown nearby...does getting up to help still count?

What's the criteria? I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

When I was on Las Ramblas, I was enjoying my fish on the sidewalk cafe and sipping on my beer... that’s not being lazy.
...and in Venice, we were shopping in the stores just off the Grand Canal , before hopping on a gondola ride... is that lazy?
... now when we dozed off looking at the water on the beach in Aruba, that may have been lazy :D

I prefer to consider myself a Flaneur... It sounds much more fancy and less derogatory...

Heh heh heh heh - my lips are sealed. :dance::D:LOL::facepalm:

25 years ER

heh heh heh - ok ok my current favorite is watching the grass grow at 'The Farm' and getting paid $135/acre for this arduous task. :rolleyes:

P.S. Took a while to master doing nothing BUT I think I have it!

I'm grateful that this forum is measurably increasing my worldliness. I didn't know that a Flaneur enjoys the dolce far niente.

I wrestle with this. I do a fair amount of constructive things- get to the gym every day, do volunteer work for the church and other organizations, keep my yard and house tidy, even take the occasional college class- but I spend a lot of time hanging out on the Internet or lying around reading books. Sometimes I take a nap!

I remind myself that I worked for this. Actuarial exams while I worked FT, taking only 6 weeks off after I had DS (and none before even though I would have been paid at 100%), one particularly brutal period when I was working 6-day weeks from about 7 AM to 1 or 2 AM.... yeah, I'm due for a little down time!

The word "laziness" could be taken as a value judgment in itself. Really, what we are talking about here, is the freedom and power to determine what we want to do with our limited precious time here on Earth, and then to actually DO it, instead of wasting that time by mindlessly slogging away doing what others think we should be doing.

Instead of "laziness", I'd prefer to view it as "freedom", or "living".

Do spouses count as ‘others’ when you mention ‘what others think we should be doing’? Might be a tough sell.

I agree completely that "idle" is a very gray term.. To me, sitting in a chair, staring at a blank wall is idle. Pretty much everything else, in some way, is of benefit to me in terms of my enjoyment, learning, and even productivity (which, is another word with pretty gray definitions).

19 months into FIRE, I find my best days are a mix of modest productivity in home improvement, landscape maintenance, my vintage car hobby business. housework (DW still works) AND exercise (I hike daily with our two dogs and play racquetball twice a week) AND just relaxing which usually involves sitting, or lying, on one of the many areas (mostly outside) on our property. Yes, I'll check e-mail and social media on my phone, but then also intentionally put it down and just observe the scene, nature, wildlife, sky etc.

Third year of retirement and struggling with being idle when at home. Fortunately, we travel 7 months out of the year, and when traveling, I have absolutely no issues. However, when at home, especially after postponing home maintenance and other ‘chores’, I still feel the need for me and my DH to be productive. Thanks for the post...my new goal for tomorrow....celebrate laziness!

I really don't want to accomplish anything, other than reach my FI number. I have no intention to be viewed favorably in other people's eyes by acting busy or contributing.

One of the things I've noticed so far is that, when I adopt a less To-Do list-focused lifestyle, I am more attuned to my dog. You may have noticed, but dogs are not terribly ambitious. They seem perfectly content to laze around most of the day and maybe bark at a truck occasionally. I feel more aligned with my dog now.

Here are a few more inspirational, de-motivational quotes:

"The majority of Englishmen and Americans have no life but in their work; that alone stands between them and ennui. They are too deficient in senses to enjoy mere existence in repose, and scarcely any pleasure or amusement is pleasure or amusement to them." - John Stuart Mill

"Idleness is good. It is good in itself: extended periods of languid indolence must be awarded prime positions in any sensible way of life. Moreover, the byproducts of idleness are supremely good. Idleness leads to contemplation, creativity, and inventiveness, which in turn resolve themselves in literature, philosophy, poetry, and every other component of civilization as we know it." - Stephen Robins

"The idler, who habituates himself to be satisfied with what he can most easily obtain, not only escapes labours which are often fruitless, but sometimes succeeds better than those who despise all that is within their reach and think every thing more valuable as it is harder to be acquired." - Samuel Johnson.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time with "idleness" other than when I'm in a very pleasant outdoor setting (which can include our backyard). In central Texas, that only can happen about half the year in general. Summers are particularly hard, as DH's disability and the changing climate patterns makes it pretty much impossible for us to escape the heat (he can only tolerate going about 600 miles away in our RV and he can no longer fly). So I fill my days with lots of things to do, although it does include reading, knitting, and playing iPhone games. Then in the fall I do try to focus on getting out and just enjoying nature more.

Another thing I've noticed is trees. You notice more trees and sky, when you're like this.

Quotes for the day. I'll comment in between.

"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone." - Lin Yutang

How true. How many things do I do each day that don't need doing? That I would be better off leaving undone? At least half.

"I love it, I love it; and who shall dare
To chide me for loving that old armchair?"
- Eliza Cook

I do love a good comfy chair.

"The most precious, the most consoling, the most pure and holy, the noble habit of doing nothing at all." - GK Chesterton

Nice to hear it spoken of with reverence. Did you know the origins of the protestant work ethic derive from Calvinism, with its doctrine of the elite who are destined for heaven (and the rest of us screwed)? In order to prove to themselves they were among the select few, they seized upon the idea that material success was the sign, and hard work the method to get there. Thus you guaranteed your place in heaven by being a hard worker. They were not fun people.

Did you know the origins of the protestant work ethic derive from Calvinism, with its doctrine of the elite who are destined for heaven (and the rest of us screwed)? In order to prove to themselves they were among the select few, they seized upon the idea that material success was the sign, and hard work the method to get there. Thus you guaranteed your place in heaven by being a hard worker. They were not fun people.
Yeah, no kidding. I was brought up Presbyterian, which is a denomination highly influenced by Calvinism. Definitely provided a good, strong dose of protestant work ethic. Luckily I managed to ditch that work ethic to some extent, but it took me until I reached my fifties to do that.

When I was on Las Ramblas, I was enjoying my fish on the sidewalk cafe and sipping on my beer... that’s not being lazy.
...and in Venice, we were shopping in the stores just off the Grand Canal , before hopping on a gondola ride... is that lazy?
... now when we dozed off looking at the water on the beach in Aruba, that may have been lazy :D

How big is your suticase? I'm only 5' 11" and surely you have room! :cool:

Idleness...An opportunity to appreciate the good things about life.

I have a porch swing. I like to sit there and watch the world go by.

Back
Top Bottom