If you're really retired, what are you saving your uniforms for?

My airline uniforms are saved for pilot funerals (mostly natural causes, thankfully) and the Chicago Museum of Science & Industry has one of our old 727's on display and gets pilots to volunteer as guides.
My police uniforms got dumped the day i walked out the door, last week. Kept my artillery, of course.;)

Only 9 months left in megacorp. I cleaned out my closet and dresser drawers over the long weekend. Donated all my suits and dresses to the Women's shelter (dress for success program). I haven't worn a suit for over a year and don't want to be tempted to wear one ever again!

I took at least six nice suits to a chairity and dropped them off within my first few weeks of permanant freedom. I also went through my closets and grabed numerous breif cases and business related stuff and got rid of it all. It was a big part of my closure and transitional process. Its really a cleansing gesture to part ways with the badges of the other life and then be where you are in real time in your life. It also made a bunch of space in my closet for jeans, cargo shorts and a fine assortment of vintage hawiian and golf shirts. These are my new uniform, and I wear them proudly.

I have several boxes of my old books, notes, records, and special documents that I collected over the past 30+ years. A part of me says "What the heck are you keeping this stuff for?" The other part says "You might need it someday if you ever decide to consult." (Gag!).
I haven't retired yet, but this reminds me of one of my decluttering projects. I have 7 boxes in the garage of work-related examples, such as policy manuals in case I ever have to write my own policies (HR-related) at which time my plan would be to copy them; sample offer letters; business books, etc. Of course, I've had three different jobs, and only once did I ever refer to anything in the boxes! Gotta get rid of clothes too since apparently every company is no longer "business."

I haven't retired yet, but this reminds me of one of my decluttering projects. I have 7 boxes in the garage of work-related examples, such as policy manuals in case I ever have to write my own policies (HR-related) at which time my plan would be to copy them; sample offer letters; business books, etc. Of course, I've had three different jobs, and only once did I ever refer to anything in the boxes! Gotta get rid of clothes too since apparently every company is no longer "business."

I have been getting rid of work related (and other) stuff in preparation for ER and moving north. When I moved to New Orleans, I had 85 boxes of books, journals, and reports plus whatever was in my office. What an albatross! It's amazing how heavy glossy-paged journals are, too. I have got it down to about 20 boxes (an estimate, 9 boxes and 11 large shelves full is the actual amount) and plan to move north with no more than 10-15 boxes of books etc.

In addition I have three boxes full of nothing but three ring binders that I used for various projects along the way, and I hate to throw them out. I might throw out some of them, but I'll keep the rest of the office supplies (of course binders and office supplies bought by my employer will stay there; I am just talking about those I have personally bought).

I will be quite happy to toss out the clothes for formal work meetings. The every day stuff I will probably continue to wear.

I have been getting rid of work related (and other) stuff in preparation for ER and moving north. When I moved to New Orleans, I had 85 boxes of books, journals, and reports plus whatever was in my office. What an albatross! It's amazing how heavy glossy-paged journals are, too. I have got it down to about 20 boxes (an estimate, 9 boxes and 11 large shelves full is the actual amount) and plan to move north with no more than 10-15 boxes of books etc.

In addition I have three boxes full of nothing but three ring binders that I used for various projects along the way, and I hate to throw them out. I might throw out some of them, but I'll keep the rest of the office supplies (of course binders and office supplies bought by my employer will stay there; I am just talking about those I have personally bought).

I will be quite happy to toss out the clothes for formal work meetings. The every day stuff I will probably continue to wear.

Some schools or teachers might want the binders.

I was an EM. It is possible that I have one set of fatigues somewhere, but my arms grew 1.5" after I left the service. Other dimensions have increased even more. :rolleyes:

I have not worn a tie for over 20 years. DW cut up my most favourite pink paisley tie and incorporated it into a quilt. Arguably a better use. (I still have a marvelous Jurassic Park tie with a fierce dinosaur on it, but the occasion for display has not presented itself for many years.)

Nords, keep the sword. DW should keep hers, too. The threads don't mean much. The steel does.

Hey Nords...
I kept dress blues for me and the hubs, one set of BDUs, one set of flight suits. Everything else was thrown out or donated. I still want to do something with all of the patches we gathered in our travels...but that closet space is nice. I went through everything right after I retired. Its actually time to do it again, since stuff fills up the empty space in a hurry. :)

I still want to do something with all of the patches we gathered in our travels...but that closet space is nice.
My "I Love Me" wall is a 3'x2' space (in the garage over the dryer) holding a wooden carving of submariner dolphins and an altered photo of USETAFISH doing an emergency surface.

But framing shops are doing amazing things with all those command patches I used to wear.

I noticed today that my swordcase needs UV-resistant glass... the black leather (?) scabbard has faded to pale gray. Another reason why this memorabilia can be more trouble than it's worth!

My own closet contains at least five sets of uniforms, three of which are no longer allowed, and five of which I could no longer fit into even if I tried. Not to mention the few sets of wheel hats, c*&^ caps (older AF guys know what that is), and shoes. Oh, and the all white ceremonial waiter suits that were in for about three months. And the medals, the ribbons, the shoulder boards. So, like you, I wonder, why don't I just throw it all away? Maybe because, you know, we could be recalled someday. Or maybe because they are a memento of a significant portion of our past. But in the end, I don't know why I hang on to them. Anyone want them? Maybe that's why.

Yes, I do know what "those" caps are! I've been in the AF, now the Reserves since mid 70's. I have way too many uniform items clogging up my closets and other places. I sold a few awhile back on ebay, but now I don't think the market for used BDU's is very strong anymore. I'm still gonna give it a try, though. The pilot's nomex gloves used to be a popular item, but I'm down to my last two pairs and they make good fishing gloves! Since I'm not yet retired, I guess I'll have uniform stuff around a few more years.

As we used to say in the Army "three move equals one fire". I have moved so many times that I have few things left from my previous military career some medals and badges in a shadow box and of course my retirement orders and DD214. When I retired from Customs and Border Protection I kept my badge and some patches and my credentials just for mementos. I don't think anybody will want them in my family so they are just knick knacks for me to try and remember what I did all those years. No uniform items left, don't miss them wasn't impressed when I had them. Seems so long ago now or is it that memory is going on the fritz again? Who cares just glad to be here:)

FYI,

The same goes for the suits, ties and dress shirts.

I have lots of corporate clothes that I haven't worn
since I retired... well, it's only been six months... but
I don't have the desire or the need to wear suits and
dresses. I will eventually get around to decluttering
my closets.

I have kept all my old military uniforms also. I guess pride is part of it, being able to look back at the old dress blues with that blood stripe, and well the sword is just cool. Camo can always come in handy too.

Gave 100% of my business uniforms away though. I could care less about those.

My DH was in his Dress Blues (AF) when we were married in the chapel on base in 1972. My son-in-law was in his Dress Blues (Navy) when he married on DD in 07/07.

I just asked my DH if he had any of his AF uniforms and he looked at me like I was crazy. Laughing, he said he has not seen any of them for over 30 years and doesn't remember what happened to them. I don't remember either. He was discharged in 1975. He said that he does still have his old Fire Prevention Inspector's jacket from the late 70's.

Still have my old uniforms, too. I've also kept my swords (one is a regular duty model, the other has a lighter 'levee pattern' blade intended for social occasions). Obviously I no longer have any use for them, but they bring back happy memories of visiting Wilkinson's factory in Acton to have them refurbished (sadly, Wilkinson exited the sword business on September 15, 2005).

And the swordbelt serve as a good weight control device: when they start getting tight, time for a diet! ;)

Back
Top Bottom