Interesting article

I'll probably annuitize sometime next year. I like sleeping at night, and the $200,000 I have in stocks and property investements with TIAA-CREF will sit and I'll add to that over the next few years.

I have read so many articles on Annuities, and there are a fair number of people who hate them, but if you're single, don't have any heirs, and have a family history of long life, that certainly might be worth the cost.

Anyway, I have rambled far from the purpose of this post, and that is I have appreciated Akaisha's and Billy's responses. I am retired, really, and although I drive to a job everyday, I feel good knowing I am retired and choose to do this. Being retired is a state of mind, and if you work, you can still be retired. Just my opinion.

Regards,
Rob
No problem with annuities. You are outsourcing your portfolio to professionals and askiing them to guarantee you an income in return for some serious fees. With no concerns about heirs and a likely long life expectancy, it sounds like a good fit for you. Make sure it is inflation-adjusted.

And you already demonstrate what is needed for a successful retirement.

rob
Anyway, I have rambled far from the purpose of this post, and that is I have appreciated Akaisha's and Billy's responses. I am retired, really, and although I drive to a job everyday, I feel good knowing I am retired and choose to do this. Being retired is a state of mind, and if you work, you can still be retired. Just my opinion.

Rob, you are most welcome. (I remember you well!) I like the idea that being retired is a state of mind... that works for me too. To me, it's the idea that I don't have to work. I don't have to do anything to make money come in. That provides me with a lot of emotional and intellectual room!

Lovely lovely penthouse Kcowan! thanks for sharing. Couldn't get the 15 year old condo link to load... said page not found.

But I can seeyou have great taste, so my imagination works well for the condo.

Sounds like you have things all set up for your housing needs. Thanks for the info on the swap, too.

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I guess ( Early) retirement has a meaning of it's own for each.
To me it is living to the same standard as when I was in
the working life, but now are free to do as you please with your time! No ifs, ands, or buts about it. No more budgeting than before, or living cheaper than your working career.

Too many as far as I am concerned think retirement is just to stop
working, then everything becomes a delicate act of living within a strictly defined budget. Everything for these types comes down to what something cost. Money on the brain syndrome. Money is the first thought process of anything and everything that they do or happens to them. ( slave to money for eternity).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom