"Is that all there is".

Brit

Dryer sheet aficionado
I was just wondering if it is just me or middle age crazies but does anybody out there feel the same. I have been looking for my passion! to do in retirement but as yet have not found it. Tried all the books " Do what you love" etc. went to classes but still have not found it. I have had a blessed life. I have always fallen into fun jobs, they have paid for my travels, I have worked on Olympic games in Austria/ Montreal etc.traveled the USA covering sporting events, had a pilots license, raced mini coopers. ( the original ones.)lived on a 34ft power boat, sailed, range shooting, scuba diving, always ate out. That was up to 10 years ago since then I basically avoid crowds, cook at home, and hate to travel, especially international flying. It has become such a hassle. I still go to the studio party's and have fun. I am hoping this will pass and just be an age thing.

HI Brit! Sounds like you have had a great life so far.
In my case, I mostly just chased the dollar for 30
years or so. Then, decided I better start having fun
while I still could. I have enough "hobbies" to last my lifetime. As far as avoiding crowds, not flying, and staying home, I believe it is an age thing as we are just the same. I do not expect this to change but that's okay
as we have no problem with being "homebodies".
Holds down those pesky travel expenses also.

John, I also followed the buck but more by accident. The entertainment business pays pretty well, especially when you know what you are doing. I was never into toys or keeping up with the Jones. The only hobby now as such is cooking thanks to the cooking channel. But again how much can you eat. We also get spoiled working at the studio the shows have what they call craft services, in other words free food as much as you can eat. Yes I need to loser weight.

It would be easy for this topic to go off the deep end but I would suggest that this point in your life may be an opportunity for spiritual development. You can pick your favorite denomination or something like Habitat For Humanity. My wife & I hope to spend at least a part of each year working on projects like that. Visiting remote parts of Fiji changed our lives. People really live diferently than in the US. A lot of the people were realy happy and had far fewer material possessions than people on welfare in the US.

What you really need is a 19 year old girl friend and a convertable! - That'll spice things up!

Just kidding! - What I have found about middle age is that passions tend to wane somewhat. But look to your childhood for things that you used to enjoy then. For me it is fishing. I still enjoy it, although I am not as gung ho as I was 20 years ago.

What you really need is a 19 year old girl friend and a convertable!
Amen brother! In the early 70's I was living in Venice Beach. Then as now there were lots of yummy young women there. I was young, but I remember being very impressed by some old guy who appeared to be at least 70 who had a quite acceptable young babe living with him in his old van. His secret was that he had taken the time to develop a real talent for portrature. He was very attractive to the girls because he could make then look great in a pastel portrait. Poets, good musicians share this cross generational draw. Sure beats being a retired whatever, making ends meet in a fleamarket on Saturday morning.

Lord. take me out like Nelson Rockefeller...

Mikey

Remember the 19 year olds are not the problem here at the studio's they are all over the lot.( I work at a major motion picture studio here in Los Angels.) There's a lot of wannabe starlets that you can take advantage of but I am trying to simplify my life. I got caught 20 years ago and I do not want to go through that again, besides I have too much to loose. All I am looking for now is something I can get passionate about. Otherwise it is " Been there done that"

Once you ER, you may experience the joy of being where you are at and doing absolutly nothing and being able to afford the freedom of no great passion what so ever. Ten years have gone by very quickly and it's amazing how many things you can do just because the opportunity presents itself - it hasn't been boring.

For most of my life I was an avid hunter. Probably
my number One outdoor activity. Now, I no longer hunt
at all. What I do is ride my motorcycle (some long trips
each year), boat, fish, and read. I would say that I am
passionate about all of these activities. Add in the more
mundane stuff and every day just fills up. At least that
is how it has worked for me. I also have some other pre-retirement hobbies that I wouldn't mind taking up again. Doubt I will ever find the time.

Back
Top Bottom