Is There Any Yearning to Be Recognized for Your FIRE Success?

I’d prefer the opposite, in fact. At 8 months in and at 54 y.o., I’m finding it a challenge to say “I’m retired.” I don’t think I’ve really declared those words to anyone but my wife and mother. The reason is, it is effectively saying “I’m financially richer than you, since you are still waking up to an alarm clock and slugging it out every day.” Or, at least I fear that’s how it might come across. I think it will get easier in time after people realize I haven’t had a job for a while and after I get over myself and adjust better to my new phase.

I can’t say it out loud yet, so I have been saying “I’m on a sabbatical after finishing a project successfully at my last job. It’s hard to do what I do during Covid, so I’m waiting until that’s over to see what’s next.” It’s “truthy”, at least.

I wonder if it’s a different mentality when one officially retires with a pension? No one imagines a big nest egg in that situation, just a fair reward after decades of hard work.

Which one are you? LOL

We winter in Fort Lauderdale. After 40 years, you get a feel for the place and my observation of our neighbors is "a third are truly (super) wealthy, a third are swimming like hell to stay above water and a third are outright crooks with no intention of ever paying for anything"

Which one are you? LOL

Like the old Smith Barney ad: I made my money the old fashioned way.....I inherited it! :LOL:

(I had been waiting for someone to tee that one up for me!)

The only "recognition" I get is from the older retired folks hiking on a couple of the trails I ride every weekday morning. A lot of them know me as the "young guy" who "retired early" and rides his mountain bike every day. That's all the recognition I need :D

The only "recognition" I get is from the older retired folks hiking on a couple of the trails I ride every weekday morning. A lot of them know me as the "young guy" who "retired early" and rides his mountain bike every day. That's all the recognition I need :D

Nice post.

Back
Top Bottom