Things to be grateful for

Love this post and all these comments. I’m incredibly grateful for numerous things in my life and near the top of the list is being financially independent. I can’t talk about this in “ real life” as pretty much everyone I know still works. But like you, in my 7th year the feeling of freedom is indescribable.

I am grateful for the simple things in life.

Having a roof over my head, comfortable clothes to wear, availability of healthy food and clean water. Realizing that a significant number of humans don't even have those basic items available.

I'm grateful for the freedoms I have and the opportunities available in this wonderful country USA.

Financially, I'm grateful I learned the art of frugality and the importance of hard work and investing at a young age. I have much less than most on this site, yet I have enough.

I strive to live in the moment because I now realize that is all I'm guaranteed.

And most of all I'm grateful for my beautiful wife of 33 years and my 2 wonderful children.

I definitely have a lot to be grateful for.

I worked part time for over 30 years, so when my last client disappeared recently, it wasn’t that hard to pull the trigger and call myself officially retired. Feel very fortunate to have ended up in a very comfortable situation. I envy those of you with a faithful spouse, since my beloved DW dumped me 12 years ago. It’s been damn lonely ever since then, and my life is much less fulfilling than it would have been if I had a loving partner. Haven’t done that much travel because it isn’t much fun by myself, but I took a few trips before Covid and there will be more. I’m still on the top side of the dirt, with a good financial situation and relatively good health. Everything beyond that is gravy.

I think those with good, long-lasting marriages/relationships where both partners are on the same page have a serious advantage in this ER stuff. I don’t have that advantage, either.

Too much to be grateful for! But mostly my DW. We met and dated 40 years ago but I was too young and stupid to “put a ring on it”. We both went on to marry others, me 2x, build successful careers but she was always on my mind as the one perhaps …….. she found me again 13 years ago as we were both in the middle of divorces. Have never been happier in my entire life! Am truly blessed! Oh yeah financially set, with enough passive income that we have a less than 1% withdrawal rate and yet to collect SS. relatively good health, great house(s) wonderful pets. Lots of travel, good food, friends, family, exercise etc. But without her, the romance, the company, the support, the laughter…. I can’t imagine how miserable I would be, instead of this happy….:dance:

Great thread. Sometimes I keep a journal for this. DH and I just celebrated our 40 year anniversary, still happy together. I am so grateful for our health and for families and friends. I am grateful I stumbled across different investment experts many years ago and for my career with retirement plans and investments, I learned so much that I still use today.

Too much to be grateful for! But mostly my DW. We met and dated 40 years ago but I was too young and stupid to “put a ring on it”. We both went on to marry others, me 2x, build successful careers but she was always on my mind as the one perhaps …….. she found me again 13 years ago as we were both in the middle of divorces. Have never been happier in my entire life! Am truly blessed! Oh yeah financially set, with enough passive income that we have a less than 1% withdrawal rate and yet to collect SS. relatively good health, great house(s) wonderful pets. Lots of travel, good food, friends, family, exercise etc. But without her, the romance, the company, the support, the laughter…. I can’t imagine how miserable I would be, instead of this happy….:dance:
Now that's a cool story. I've often thought about some of the ones that got away. Well, I'll never know for sure but the one that I picked ~47 years ago still seems like the best choice. (Actually by a long shot I think)

Last edited:
I'm grateful for DW, who has stayed with me 58 years. Im grateful that our investments are much higher than when I retired. I'm grateful for my health. which gave me a scare recently, but the docs saved me. We're both 80, have 2 grandkids and one great grandkid. I've been retired for 20 years. Life is good and I am grateful.

I'm grateful for DW, who has stayed with me 58 years. Im grateful that our investments are much higher than when I retired. I'm grateful for my health. which gave me a scare recently, but the docs saved me. We're both 80, have 2 grandkids and one great grandkid. I've been retired for 20 years. Life is good and I am grateful.

If we live another 4 years, this could be our story. Thanks for telling it so well.

The next step from personal gratitude is to pay it forward.

KG

Back
Top Bottom