It's all relative

J

John Galt

A disclaimer! This is not whining. I hate whining.
Just a little "heads up" for you younger folks.

I spent most of yesterday getting a physical and some tests. Got to go back in a month for the results. Hell,
I might be dead by then. Anyway, most of us will find
ourselves spending way too much time on medical issues if we live long enough. Of course, there are those who just won't go until the only option is 911
or the ER (I know a few like that).

Even though I had been to this facility before, there was
a bunch of paperwork to fill out. Where they asked for immediate family ages, health status and living or dead,
I got to fill in:

Father, 87 health good
Mother, 85 health good
Brother, 58 health good

I was thinking that not many are that fortunate. Kind of
gave me a good feeling, at least until the nurse called me :)

JG

You are very fortunate John, congrats! Looks like you may have a long way to go in ER. 8) Just, don't step in front of a moving truck!

Beachbumz

I guess i'm not sure what the head's up advise is John. Are you suggesting we get checkups before calling 911? Good advise, but better advise is to minimizes the likelihood that happens by having good diet and exercise, and taking vitamins, etc. I like the website realage.com for health guidance.

Maybe I overexplained. It happens.

The point is to enjoy your health while you still have it
because at some point (sooner for some than others)
you will likely be more and more focused on health problems.

There, that's a little better I hope.

JG

Ahh.

Well, maybe i'm living a pipe-dream, but i'm hoping diet and exercise keeps me in a high vitality state until, well, i just die of old age.

I dont personally believe your muscular/skeletal system ever has to get to the point you cant walk or get around easy. If you take care of yourself, i think one can go until an internal organ just gives out.

I wish you all the best. I truly do. But, I think you underestimate what mother nature can throw at you.

JG

www.youngernextyear.com

I got the book. Written by a 70-year old gent and a 47-year old doctor.

Thesis is to exercise and I mean push it. Aerobics and weight training. :) The 70-year old is extremely optimistic. Does skiing, does spinning (bikes), rowing, etc.

You gotta get old; but, you don't have to act like it.

A disclaimer!  This is not whining.  I hate whining.
. . .

LOL :D :D :D

John Galt, you whine more than anybody on this board. You whine about how corrupt and incompetent all governments are. You whine about "liberals". You whine about any post you disagree with becuase you consider things you disagree with to be whining.

If you quit whining on these boards you would cut your posts in half. Then all we would be left with is your other kind of posts -- the ones where you brag about how smart or how superior you are to the rest of us.

:D :D :D

But don't stop, John. I really do enjoy reading them. When I get to a John Galt post, I am filled with anticipation. Is this going to be a whining post about some political idea that John is completely ignorant about? Is John Galt going to tell us how smart he thinks he is again? Which? Then there is the actual post, which if not filled with painful puns is likely to be filled with wonderfully naive and flawed logic that will make me LOL. Keep it up, John. :D :D :D

I haven't liked every JohnGalt post that I have read. But there have been a good number that I did like. Given that I haven't paid him one penny for his contributions, I feel like I got the better end of the deal from his decision to post here.

If you quit whining on these boards you would cut your posts in half.  Then all we would be left with is your other kind of posts -- the ones where you brag about how smart or how superior you are to the rest of us.

You forgot the third kind of post - the ones where he tells the newbies that they don't need to plan for ER they just need to rely on "intelligence and willpower".  Of course, "intelligence and willpower" are codewords for social security and a working wife.   :D

Reading JG is like reading a fairy tale. Maybe he should start all of his posts, "Once upon a time". But you wonder if there's gonna be a happy ending. I like him. In fact, his posts are one reason I signed up. I had read them a lot the past six months.

However, here's a word of extreme caution. Do not follow his financial advice. Repeat after me. I will never follow his financial wisdom. :) No equities :confused:

Re: It's all relativehere's a word of extreme caut

Here's a word of extreme caution.  Do not follow his financial advice.  Repeat after me.  I will never follow his financial wisdom. No equities

So that's it.

That's one of the things that I like about him. JohnGalt does NOT agree with me on SWRs. He has said so. But I like it that he has a different perspective on investing than a good number of others. I think that we all would benefit from having more of a mix of investing viewpoints represented on the boards.

Johns a fixture...you know what to expect from him and you usually get it.

John, I hope you are well and this isnt your roundabout way of letting us know that some sort of health problem is upon you. I and I'm sure many others hope you take in the rest of your families footsteps.

I guess this post will also teach you to not leave any blood in the water around here... :(

Ahh.

I dont personally believe your muscular/skeletal system ever has to get to the point you cant walk or get around easy.  If you take care of yourself, i think one can go until an internal organ just gives out.

Umm..just off the top.. Alzheimer's, Lewy body dementia, Parkinson's, myasthenia gravis, ALS/Lou Gehrig, scleroderma, advanced stage rheumatoid, lupus, uncontrolled epilepsy, the list goes on...

Whoa! I go away for an afternoon and it's "pile
on John Galt Day". It's okay; take your best shot :)

It's a good thing when you recognize your own character flaws. Thus, some of the points made
about me and my posts are true, which I do not
apologize for BTW. However, I take great exception
to the "whiner" label. I truly do hate whining. I view
what I do is merely pointing out problems and issues
and then discussing and debating, etc. I don't see
that as whining. Just to be sure, I looked it up in
my Funk and Wagnalls. They both support my position.

I do confess to galloping egomania and don't apologize for that either. The result of this affliction is that I think
most people are morons (present company excepted of course :) )

JG

. . . However, I take great exception to the "whiner" label.  I truly do hate whining.  I view what I do is merely pointing out problems and issues and then discussing and debating, etc.  I don't see that as whining.  . .

:D :D :D
As opposed to others on the board who point out problems and issues (with viewpoints that you disagree with) and discuss and debate them (in ways that you disagree with). Now that's whining.

I understand now, John. My Merriam-Webster dictionary didn't include the John Galt veiwpoint distinction in the definition of whining. :D :D :D

I was going to respond as well but you expressed my view point concisely.
JG has the typical ultra conservative point of view that they (he) define what is "right" and wrong (left). Any "difference" of opinion by most of that crowd is defined as complaining, whining, or unAmerican.

Touchee, SG

MJ ;)

Right on

Close to what I used to tell the Republican members of the family when Clinton was in office.

Of course - now the shoe is on the other foot. On their good days - they console me - since they 'know I'm a die hard liberal'. Other times they gloat.

This too shall pass.

Back
Top Bottom