"It's like cheating"

Just responding to the title, that would like saying leaving California or NYC is cheating for retirement. Give me a break.

Beyond the financial aspect is the major cultural change when moving to another country, plus leaving family and friends. I have too many connections to the USA that I'd be miserable living elsewhere no matter what the ostensible "better" lifestyle might be.

When we evaluated moving to Mexico, we realized that we could afford to live there for just 6 months a year and keep our place up north. Been doing that since 2007.

Made 2 million pesos on our first condo and have now moved to more appropriate one.

Yep, Mexico is cheaper, even in the expat areas...and closer.

Followed one guy online who came back to the USA for a transplant paid for by Medicare who then went right back to Mexico.

Beyond the financial aspect is the major cultural change when moving to another country, plus leaving family and friends. I have too many connections to the USA that I'd be miserable living elsewhere no matter what the ostensible "better" lifestyle might be.

+1

I love to travel and visit different cultures, but have given up the thought of living abroad long ago.

And I don't think these other places are truly better. More like different. And when the novelty wears off, they have some drawbacks that will surface.

About the lower COL of some foreign places, I still have enough so that it is not a factor.

Back
Top Bottom