Kitchen Appliance Recommendations Needed

Wow, that's some collection of kitchen appliances. Kudos...

Do we know you from a Food Network show? Gumby de Laurentis? :D

The young wife, who is equally cute and cooks about as well as Giada, picked them all. I just said "Yes, dear".

The young wife, who is equally cute and cooks about as well as Giada, picked them all. I just said "Yes, dear".
Smart man...

I would recommend Whirlpool. Our fridge, 2 microwaves, and oven are 21 year old Whirpools and haven't had a problem with any of them. DW has done some research for our upcoming remodel and has proposed that we go with Wolf/ subzero. Glad to see Gumby's recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had a LG french door refrigerator that died at 3 1/2 years . Getting service from LG is a real challenge . I would avoid an LG fridge . The funny thing is the fridge it replaced was a GE side by side that is still going strong in our garage at 20 years old.I also agree with Midpack the bottom freezer is like the great abyss .

... The funny thing is the fridge it replaced was a GE side by side that is still going strong in our garage at 20 years old.I also agree with Midpack the bottom freezer is like the great abyss .

We have a 20 YO fridge in the basement, and a 25 YO freezer in the garage - they just keep ticking (and no, they are not energy hogs, each uses ~ $6/month). I sure hope the new one lasts as long, it's a basic, no frills unit.

While the bottom freezers are less convenient for getting into the freezer, I find we get into the fridge section at least 10x more often. I much prefer having the stuff I access the most often at eye height, and keep the freezer tucked away at the bottom.

Unless you are going to install a very short unit and put it on a pedestal, something has to be at the bottom. Personal preference of course, maybe the freezer access is more important to others (since we have a separate freezer)?

-ERD50

I have a KitchenAid dishwasher that was bought in 2007. Cost like $900 at Lowe's. Actually got the extended warrantee for $30 for 4 years.
First time I ever got it.

The repairman was out at my house 8 times in 4 years for that dw. Control panel replaced multiple times, leaks, just various junk. They would not replace it. It's been running well for 4 years but needs special soap, close it a certain way. I will not have another repairman come out for it again.

For a stove I bought a gas one with no electronics. That has worked perfectly. Fancy electronics and appliances are nightmares. I still have my w/d with no electronics from 1998. I rebuild them once every 10 years for $20 worth of parts.

For a stove I bought a gas one with no electronics. That has worked perfectly. Fancy electronics and appliances are nightmares. I still have my w/d with no electronics from 1998. I rebuild them once every 10 years for $20 worth of parts.
The old almond colored electric dryer from 1986 keeps going, and I plan on having it go forever. I don't see much need to replace it since "efficiency" and "electric" don't mesh well anyway on these devices.

Too many cases out there of $0.023 capacitors incapacitating $2000 electronics. It is really a crime.

Too many cases out there of $0.023 capacitors incapacitating $2000 electronics. It is really a crime.

almost everyone I know that has had appliance problems has been with fancy expensive electronics. Some of the prices quoted here for a single item, like a range, I can replace everything in my kitchen. What in the world does a $4000 dollar range do that my $500 one doesn't. I only need it to prepare/cook food. must be missing something.

almost everyone I know that has had appliance problems has been with fancy expensive electronics. Some of the prices quoted here for a single item, like a range, I can replace everything in my kitchen. What in the world does a $4000 dollar range do that my $500 one doesn't. I only need it to prepare/cook food. must be missing something.

Prestige, man. How can one go thru life with cheap (cost) appliances?:D

I strongly suspect that US appliance manufacturers (and a couple auto companies) really don't get electronics. Given the choice between a modern FR-4 board and additive copper on bakelite, they'll go for the bakelite every time. Now picture a piece of resin-treated cardboard (bakelite) in the steamy innards of a dishwasher. Why, yes, it does disintegrate in a couple of years. The warranty was for 1 year, so it doesn't matter...

Test methodology isn't any better. I had the displeasure of working with a major manufacturers test team once. Most places, a test of a board would be judged by test coverage, or what portion of the components and functionality were exercised. In this shop, tests were judged by how many could be done per hour. They'd contract out for a test program that would use a special machine that put probes on every component connection, test every part, and do the functional testing. Then they'd take that test program and start removing tests until they hit their production goal. This meant that boards could have not jut defective, but missing parts, still pass test, and be installed into products that shipped to customers.

That's how you get batches of microwaves that catch on fire. ("Clamping diodes? Oh, they didn't put them in these boards. Probably ran out. Worked fine without them. Were they important?")

I would stay away from the LG French Door. We have one we bought last year and it has been an absolute POS. it's noisier than any fridge we have ever had, the defroster module died within a month and we are still required to do occasional manual defrosts when the bottom drawer fails to seal properly. Run, run a way from the LG. It is a beautiful thing to look at, but a real pain in the arse as far as a fridge goes...

Now picture a piece of resin-treated cardboard (bakelite) in the steamy innards of a dishwasher. Why, yes, it does disintegrate in a couple of years. The warranty was for 1 year, so it doesn't matter...
Of course it matters. It's built-in obsolescence. Things are designed to fail so you replace them. Prices to fix things are what they are so you are not encouraged to get a repair, but to replace. It's the reason our portfolios do so well!

Last edited:
While the bottom freezers are less convenient for getting into the freezer, I find we get into the fridge section at least 10x more often. I much prefer having the stuff I access the most often at eye height, and keep the freezer tucked away at the bottom.
Height is not the issue with any of the French Door/bottom freezer units I have seen. It's having everything in one huge drawer, as opposed to having shelves. Partitions and lots of smaller containers helps, but you still have to dig through a lot if you intend to use most of the freezer space. If you search the subject, you will find a lot of first time French Door refrigerator/freezer owners who describe the bottom freezer drawer as a PITA.

Last edited:
Good info on the French Door frig models. I've always wanted one, but now may have to re-think that. We have an old side-by-side GE that was installed when we built this place back in '93. Still going strong but a few dings here & there. (A dishwasher repair guy said they don't make them like that any more and to hang onto it as long as we can.) A relative has a Samsung French door and says she likes it, but who knows.

We've gravitated to Bosch appliances. Love our pedestal W & D, then we replaced what would be our 3rd dishwasher several years back with a Bosch. Sis was over last weekend after I put on a load, and she said, "Please tell me your dishwasher isn't going--it's so quiet!" (Apparently hers is pretty loud.)

Then we replaced our built-in oven as well as our gas stove-top with Bosch. Still happy with all of them.

Personally, we haven't had any issues with our 5 yr old GE Profile french door frig model. However, when I went to buy a fridge for a rental, the salesman/mgr did mention to stay away from the 'designer'/special name fridges as they were not worth it. I still prefer the glass shelves over the wire shelves anyway.

We were too lazy to move/downsize at retirement. We re-did our small, existing kitchen last year. i waited 20 years for the fabulous kitchen we now have. I kept the fridge above, but did add a Miele mid-range dishwasher, a 36"Wolf dual fuel with griddle. DH had a bit of a problem swallowing the cost of stove, but did fall into the 'yes dear' protocol upon seeing it in person. I researched 'for years'. We are happy with all the products. If you google the product/model of interest, you should get lots of feedback. In particular, Check out the gardenweb/appliance or kitchen forums for lots of feedback also. Gardenweb is to the kitchen reno as this site is for retirement info.

There have been reports of Kitchenaid dishwashers catching fire. We had one about 5 years ago that started making what sounded like an electrical arcing noise and replaced it with a cheap Bosch. I took the K-A apart and it turned out to be a piece of plastic that somehow found its way into the impeller. So, that was a bit of a waste...the Bosch has been working fine and is quieter anyway.

I have the same gripe about useless electronics. SWMBO made me ditch a perfectly running 13 year old Amana refrigerator for a Samsung that was prettier but loaded with circuitry. Still holding my breath after 5 years.

I strongly suspect that US appliance manufacturers (and a couple auto companies) really don't get electronics. Given the choice between a modern FR-4 board and additive copper on bakelite, they'll go for the bakelite every time. Now picture a piece of resin-treated cardboard (bakelite) in the steamy innards of a dishwasher. Why, yes, it does disintegrate in a couple of years. The warranty was for 1 year, so it doesn't matter...

Test methodology isn't any better. ...

This must explain it. In general, electronics have become super reliable.

'Test Methodology' - I probably have not seen/used that term since my last 'Performance Review'!

Height is not the issue with any of the French Door/bottom freezer units I have seen. It's having everything in one huge drawer, as opposed to having shelves. ....

I see. Our bottom freezer (single door width style) does have a shelf and a bottom drawer. Like I said, we don't use it much anyway, but yes, it would seem to be worse no shelf.

Why don't they add a shelf?

-ERD50

One of the displeasures of being an enginerd is we see stuff that would make the public's skin crawl.

M Paquette is spot on. Most US/European firms now employ contracted Asian manufacturing. The name brand firm will work with the contract firm on-site, do inspections, etc.

Then when the cat is away, the mice play with the missing diodes.

I also want to say there are many respectable Asian manufacturers. But the problem is there are many who are not. And it is LONG plane trip away.

EDIT: your "Made in USA" appliance probably contains one of those troublesome logic boards made elsewhere. Surprise!

Last edited:
Newer dishwashers are quiet but I don't think they clean anywhere near as well as the older models.

You seem to be equiping for a larger kitchen but one appliance we had years ago and dearly loved was a combination microwave, convection oven, toaster oven all in one appliance. Saved lots of counter space and did a great job. Made by Sharp I think. Finally gave up the ghost and we could not get it repaired for twice what we paid for it. Haven't seen something that is really like it since. You can get two of the three features but not all three. Would be a great thing for an RV as well.

I see. Our bottom freezer (single door width style) does have a shelf and a bottom drawer. Like I said, we don't use it much anyway, but yes, it would seem to be worse no shelf.

Why don't they add a shelf?
You probably have to see it to understand, I couldn't find a good picture. Unless you buy a high $ French Door refrigerator/freezer (which may have lots of sections/drawers), you're basically dealing with one big drawer to keep all your frozen goods in. And maybe 1-2 two smaller drawers above the main freezer storage bin. Probably the same challenge people face with large chest style freezers IF they were fully utilized, there was no getting around having to be organized and still constantly digging for things. You have to be highly organized IF you plan to fully use the space, more than other refrigerator/freezer styles. It's a nuisance, not a show stopper IMO.

How to Organize a Bottom Drawer Freezer - The Taylor House

Last edited:
Newer dishwashers are quiet but I don't think they clean anywhere near as well as the older models.

Much of the problem is misplaced national goals for water saving. Sure it makes sense for some areas like California lacking the necessary infrastructure for modern life. But in areas of the country with plenty of water (say around those giant fresh water lakes we have) we all have to put with no choices except for the "efficient" dishwashers, cloth washers, and toilets that do a much poor job than those from 30 years ago.

Much of the problem is misplaced national goals for water saving. Sure it makes sense for some areas like California lacking the necessary infrastructure for modern life. But in areas of the country with plenty of water (say around those giant fresh water lakes we have) we all have to put with no choices except for the "efficient" dishwashers, cloth washers, and toilets that do a much poor job than those from 30 years ago.
Maybe they'll get it right with the D/W next iteration.

When low flow toilets first came about in the 80s, then further in the 90s, they were a disaster.

However, most of the Watersense Toilets work pretty darn well, even at a meager 1.28 gpf. They do all this with no crazy pressure systems or anything like that. It is just common sense for the most part (large opening from the tank to release all the water very rapidly). My new watersense toilets work the best I've seen, better than 70's era versions!

If you ever need a laugh, and are technically inclined, read the Watersense Toilet Specification. Nothing like discussing "soybean paste sausages"...

Of course, such real world testing actually helped make these toilets work. The old specification used ridiculous objects like plastic balls. But sticky "sausages" is what you need. Yeah, I know. TMI.

Anyway... Maybe the next D/W's will benefit from a real testing program. It took over 20 years of complaints until the US Gov finally got real with the toilets.

We have an all-Bosch kitchen. The side-by-side refrigerator/freezer had a major part that died after 5 years and the issue was that the part that converts from European to American electricity is a box that often does not last. It took a few days for the part to come in (there were none in TX, they had to get it from OK). Repair person said this is a common occurrence. Not a cheap replacement.

I like the combination range/oven - I had one before - and the dishwasher is incredibly quiet even after 5 years but a little complicated plus the wash cycle is really long. Microwave is fine.

I don't think I'd go with Bosch again unless I lived in an area where I knew there were parts readily available. I had to throw out all my refrigerator and freezer contents - it took about 4-5 days for the part to come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What We Have Decided...

Dear All: We would like to thank everyone for their input! After going around-and-around for a while, we have decided to purchase the following:
(1) Thermadore: 30" Duel Fuel Range + Thermadore Dishwasher that is a part of a "buy one range get a dishwasher free" deal.
(2) Kitchenaid French Door Refrigerator.

We'll let you know how well they perform...

Just saw this thread. Probably too late for you but we gut renovated our kitchen in 2006 and went with:

Viking six burner gas range
Viking 42" side by side frig
Viking dual wall oven and microwave/convection combo
Subzero wine cooler
Bosch dishwasher

All except the wine cooler have had minimal/no service requirements. The wine cooler had not one but two seal failures that were covered for parts on warranty but not labor, so a $450 repair cost there. I think Viking is a superior product. -costly but you get what you pay for. The poster who felt there was no difference between a $4,000 range and a $500 range surely can't be the cook in his house.

Back
Top Bottom