Lesson learned re: volunteering

Lisa99

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Back in November I was talked into being the secretary for our chartered pickleball club. 2 months in I SO wish I could take back my agreeing to do it.

It's a game so you'd think people's main motivation would be to play and have fun. Naive huh?

Every time I'm on the courts to play I get barraged with people complaining about one thing or another. I've just about had enough but I won't quit. But come November elections I'm running the other way fast as I can.

Glad to have learned this lesson before I retire but I can safely say I will never again serve on a board of any kind.

You must be a sweet person Lisa... I know how people are. It's funny when you are direct and say "If you think you can do a better job, I will give it to you right now. And if you don't shut the hole under your nose because I don't want to hear it." Nice people don't say that, but I do...and the complaints stop! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You must be a sweet person Lisa... I know how people are. It's funny when you are direct and say "If you think you can do a better job, I will give it to you right now. And if you don't shut the hole under your nose because I don't want to hear it." Nice people don't say that, but I do...and the complaints stop! :).

wow, maybe I should try that! 😄

Lisa - maybe that just wasn't the right board for you. There are a lot of nonprofit organizations that need good leadership so don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Game = Competition = Complaining!
That said, Good of you to volunteer for this Lisa but perhaps not quite what you envisioned. There are, as MBAustin said..perhaps other places to volunteer that would be more rewarding! Good Luck!

No organization too small or unimportant (not disparaging the pickleball club, but what's the worst thing that could happen if the club is not well "boarded") that some members can't find something to bitch or moan about.

If you like the position and the involvement as secretary, just ignore the bitching and moaning, Lisa--don't let them drag you down.

I agree with Mulligan. Volunteering is a lot different from a j*b. In a j*b one is paid good money to do one's best work and to diligently try to address everyone's complaints, pet peeves, etc.

In volunteering one has to assert one's personal boundaries or else risk getting trampled and abused.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

In volunteering one has to assert one's personal boundaries or else risk getting trampled and abused.

I like that comment... personal boundaries.

I'm used to the corporate world where I have a job and am paid well for it. I've been treating this volunteer position too much like a job. I'm done with doing that.

wow, maybe I should try that! 😄

Lisa,
I have been a director on a social club for 5 years, all involved with Communications to members and prospective members. I occasionally get remarks from members about the content of a newsletter, or the quality of a newsletter. My response is similar, "You have good ideas, you should run for this position at the Annual Meeting. Let (the president) know you're interested." Usually, I never hear from that person again.

-- Rita
BTW, I am not running for re-election -- 5 years is long enough.

I am a board member of my condo association.

Complaints are rare, but there are "situations" that we really don't have the power to address. I would resign tomorrow, but I want to keep my eye on how the building is managed and maintained.

If I lived in a cheaper city, I would not have bought a condo but rather a ~10 unit apartment building that I would manage, or if I had had the money, perhaps an apartment in a very high quality building with full time professional management. But if your funds are limited, you make compromises.

My situation is not bad. If I were still renting it would now be getting pretty rich for me in my neighborhood. With interest rates that I can get of 1% or so, and annual rent increases of 6-9%, buying outright which is what I did gives a lot of room between my cost to own, and what I am giving up in money not invested. Also, for a retired person who is around a lot at various hours of the day, many apartments and condos will not be suitable. A common problem is they are too dark. Dark apartments or homes suck! So if you find what you like, and can afford it, it might be best to buy.

But I would never be on a board if I did not have a personal stake in outcomes. When my sons were still at home, I served on boards of organizations that were important in their lives, and I never regretted it.

Ha

Last edited:
I volunteered for awhile after I retired, but quickly realized that it (for me) was just an unpaid job. I told them that I didn't quit working because I was tired of people giving me money.

Now I just volunteer to do things I that really like and refuse to do anything I don't want to do.

Yeah, I did a few years volunteering during my soft retirement. It only got worse over the years as it slowly became a bigger percentage of my scheduled w*rk time. Yeah, it became work. By the time I left, I was the most experienced and important one there. It's quiet a load off now, and now I truly feel retired.

I was on the board three years and president one year for a radio control model airplane club with ~200-250 members - it varied year to year. That's when I found out that 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership.

For the most part it was okay with not much complaining. When there was I was in Mulligan's camp and the complaining stopped.

My DH who has never been a quitter in his life, has been volunteering many many hours a month in our community since he retired. One of his 'jobs' is as editor of the monthly neighborhood newsletter. He included an article this month from a neighbor who asked for the neighborhood association to be more open and inclusive (a very common complaint in these parts).

Now the NA (it's not an HOA) want to oversee or limit what types of articles he publishes.

I told him, "Honey, if it's not fun any more, don't do it." Seems like he's going to resign from this position shortly. He's 72 years old. Life's too short for this nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I was on the board three years and president one year for a radio control model airplane club with ~200-250 members - it varied year to year. That's when I found out that 90% of the work gets done by 10% of the membership.

Absolutely true statement. Being a relative newcomer to a similar-sized car club, I volunteered to be the newsletter editor. That was over 5 years ago, sometimes I wish someone would complain so I could use the "if you think you could improve on it, why don't you volunteer..." line - but instead they keep telling me I'm doing a fantastic job. :uglystupid:

My husband has had similar complaints. Some volunteer positions are as annoying as jobs. He just does Meals on Wheels now.

I volunteered for awhile after I retired, but quickly realized that it (for me) was just an unpaid job. I told them that I didn't quit working because I was tired of people giving me money.

Now I just volunteer to do things I that really like and refuse to do anything I don't want to do.
I love your comment. With my retirement date [-]quickly approaching [/-]seeming like it will take forever to get here, DW has been coming up with all the wonderful volunteer activities for me to get involved with. I've told her to let me plan my own life. When I ask her why she doesn't volunteer, she's too busy. :confused:

if it's not fun any more, don't do it

+1
I volunteered at a small military museum for over 5 yrs, because I found the particular subject matter very interesting & relevant to my previous military experience. I was w*rking also, and gave up one of the 2 free weekend days I had, every weekend.

Talk about the political intrigue and backbiting! It was as vicious and sometimes even worst than my office! Near the end it became such a chore to show up and listen to "who was the smartest" and "so & so is doing it all wrong" that it no longer was FUN. I finally said Buh-Bye.:(

I don't think I'll ever "volunteer" again; I might join an organization I'm interested in, or donate (not my time). I've been soured on the experience.

_B

DW retired a couple of years ago, after spending the last 20 years working in a private catholic school (teacher and administrator at different points). She reads a ton, and when the small elementary school where our kids went (right down the street) had a need for someone to help (1/2 to 1 day per week) restocking library books, she thought that sounded great for a retired English teacher who loves books. Then she found out she would have to redo the entire background check, including getting fingerprinted at the local police station. She had already been through this as part of her job, but they wouldn't accept that. I'm sure they're just covering their butts, but she decided it wasn't worth the hassle and declined to help out.

I was secretary for an educational 501c3 for 2 years, then graduated to treasurer for another year... Wow - that was a lot of work. I hear you on people complaining!

I observed that some of the people who complained the most were the ones who didn't contribute time or money to this program. What are you going to do.

I'm glad I did it. I would definitely hesitate to take on the treasurer role of a non-profit again. While I'm good at record keeping, it was challenging getting all the different forms, tax returns, 1096/1099's, etc for the state and federal authorities. And turbo tax does not cover this. LOL.

I've been on my Condo board several times.

After a while I learned to insulate myself from the complaints. It's usually the same people over and over again. The worst are the dog owners who want the Condo Board to intervene on their side when somebody's dogs get into a fight. Both dogs are off leash in violation of the condo rules!

Overall, it was a good experience and I got a chance to know some of my neighbors better.

Some people should not buy a condo. They should buy a single family home on 20 acres, out in the country, where there are few building codes. They would be a lot happier.

Last edited:
I've been on my Condo board several times.

After a while I learned to insulate myself from the complaints. It's usually the same people over and over again. The worst are the dog owners who want the Condo Board to intervene on their side when somebody's dogs get into a fight. Both dogs are off leash in violation of the condo rules!

Overall, it was a good experience and I got a chance to know some of my neighbors better.

Some people should not buy a condo. They should by a single family home on 20 acres, out in the country, where there are few building codes. They would be a lot happier.

+1000!

Absolutely true statement. Being a relative newcomer to a similar-sized car club, I volunteered to be the newsletter editor. That was over 5 years ago, sometimes I wish someone would complain so I could use the "if you think you could improve on it, why don't you volunteer..." line - but instead they keep telling me I'm doing a fantastic job. :uglystupid:

You gotta learn to mess up more! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom