Living in a home being remodeled

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I have typically done any remodeling we wanted before moving into a new for us home, or moved out for a major remodel. We recently bought a home and moved into it without doing anything to it beforehand. We are considering three different options and would appreciate your input on whether it would be advisable to move our things, ourselves and our dog out of the home under these scenarios:

Option 1 - Upgrade electrical/lighting/fans involving some cutting into drywall. Demo insides of all closets. Remove all window coverings. Patch, paint entire home, rebuild closets to our liking and install new window coverings. Leave kitchen and bathrooms alone other than lighting improvements and perhaps upgrading appliances.

Option 2 - in addition to Option 1, remodel kitchen and bathrooms with new cabinets/countertops, appliances, and re-tile showers/bath surrounds. Minor layout changes to kitchen and baths.

Option 3 - complete gut job including all of the above as well as removing and replacing tile flooring throughout home, removing/relocating a few walls, and completely customizing the home to our liking.

We bought this home for the neighborhood, view, and location. Plus it has good “bones.” None of the finishes (floors, cabinets, countertops) are what we would have chosen. We’ve looked into refacing cabinets and replacing countertops, but the cost of that would be not that much lower than just getting new cabinets, and wouldn’t allow us to improve the layout. Initially we were leaning towards Option 1 for now and doing more work later, but then we realized that new window coverings and light fixtures would likely need to be taken out if we do a more significant remodel later. So we’ve stopped unpacking and shopping for lighting and window coverings until we figure this out.

I know if we choose Option 3, we have to move out. Removing the tile floors, moving walls, etc. is way too messy to live with. I’m feeling like Option 2 would be difficult to live with, but perhaps doable as many people have bathrooms or kitchens remodeled without moving out of their homes. Option 1 feels like we could probably live in the home throughout the process, although it would still be pretty dusty and messy.

For those of you who have lived through remodels, what do you think about trying to live in the home during the various options?

We were fortunate to rent out a house 3 doors down when we built a new home. Maybe there's some place near you could rent while the construction is going on? At least until things are closed in enough to provide basic needs.

Another option is to buy a used RV of some sort and live in it while building, then sell it after.

I would say it depends on both the size of the remodeling project as well as the size of the house. It helps to be able to move your daily living space as far as possible from the construction zone. It is always inconvenient to have contractors working on the house for an extended period. How much inconvenience are you willing to put up with?

We have lived in our house through several major remodeling projects. First was the master bathroom/master bedroom. Second was the kitchen. Third was replacing two thirds of the flooring in the house. For each of these projects my wife was still commuting to a job. I was working full time at home and was at home all day with the contractors each time. Working at home was convenient because I was always available to give contractors access to the house, and it was not necessary for us to give the contractor a key.

For the master bathroom/bedroom project we just moved into a spare bedroom on the other side of the house. I also had to move my home office to a different part of the house away from the construction. Our house is not enormous, but we were able to create enough separation that it wasn't bad.

Replacing most of our flooring was inconvenient, but we didn't have to do any adjustments to our living situation. We just stepped gingerly around the new tile as needed. The contractor knew in advance that we would be living in the house during the project, and set it up to work in one room at a time for the most part. We planned our laundry schedule so temporarily moving the washing machine and dryer into the garage for a few days didn't force us to wear dirty clothing.

Remodeling the entire kitchen was the most challenging. We set up a mini-kitchen on the dining room table that included a toaster oven and a microwave oven. We moved the refrigerator into the living room. We did all of our cooking in either the toaster oven or the microwave. We don't use a regular oven very often so not having one available wasn't a sacrifice for us. It was a bit of a sacrifice giving up the stove for the duration of the project but we made it work. We also ate in restaurants more frequently than usual, and brought home takeout meals more frequently than usual since they would require no preparation and little cleanup.

There were a few times we carried the stove from the living room (where it just sat unused during the project) 15 feet into the kitchen space so we could plug it in and use the stove at night. But we only did this a small number of times. The stove was not too heavy so we did not bother to look for a 220 volt extension cord. Don't know if they even exist.

We generally used paper plates and plastic forks and knives to minimize the cleanup. When necessary, we washed whatever needed washing in the bathroom sink or bathtub. There was not much to wash.

Of these projects, renovating the kitchen was the most inconvenient, but not horribly so given our lifestyle at the time. We made it work to live in the house because we wanted to avoid the expense of moving out, and to avoid any concerned about giving house keys to contractors.

The contractors we hired did a pretty good job cleaning up after themselves every day to minimize the mess, but we still did a lot of cleaning ourselves this dust gets everywhere.

Keep in mind that major remodeling projects often take longer than the original forecast. Regardless of what arrangements you choose to make, plan to need them for a few additional weeks.

We survived remodels of our master bath, kitchen, and family room (all at different times). Your option 3 sounds like too much to live through, though.

It depends on the size and layout of the house.

We removed tile/installed hardwood through most of our main floor, new cabinets, re-drywalled and installed tile backsplash area, and remodeled bathrooms. And repainted several rooms.

Our house has a finished walk out basement with a wet bar. So we set up a kitchen in the bar area. And made a zippered plastic vestibule between upstairs and downstairs to keep dust from getting downstairs. So we hung out downstairs most of the time, only sleeping upstairs. (we didn't remodel the bedrooms). And we showered in the basement bathroom.

Luckily our house was set up such that we could live in the house yet be somewhat detached from construction.

OP's options 1 and 2 sound livable if one bathroom can be kept usable during the remodel. And if a makeshift kitchen can be made to be used during the kitchen remodel phase.

But removing/replacing walls involves a lot of drywall dust. If you can seal off the drywall construction areas to prevent drywall dust from permeating the whole house, then do so. You could probably live in the house during significant remodeling if the house is big enough to set up temporary living quarters away from construction.

Have a fun remodel!

Could you do a hybrid? This will all depend on your GC and the best schedule, so don't get too locked in until you have selected the right one for the job.

We remodeled inside entirely, including both bathrooms and the kitchen, and lived in the house throughout. The only thing is we didn't have to take up tile. We went with a wood laminate and laid it over as our existing tile was sound and flat. If the tile has to come out, I'd recommend you be out for that (also guessing popcorn removal, some drywall replacement, etc) and then consider sections:

We did our guest bed+bath first, rest of the house was normal. Then we moved into the guest B&B while the rest was worked on. They did the kitchen last, so that was a month of take out and microwave.

If you do end up moving out, even only for part of it, I still recommend you stop by daily and oversee things. Not like you want to project manage, but to make sure all those little commitments are upheld.

For example, we added crown molding, which meant moving several AC ceiling vents - in the contract. The actual installer kept cutting notches out of the molding and not moving things! I'd come home from work, have a mini fit, and make them do it over. The third time I told him "let me be clear, that looks like S&%T, I am not paying you for S&%T"

Also, even with the best of contractors running things, add 2-3 months to the schedule in your plans/budget for "stuff happens" moments. Mine had no overruns in budget or schedule, was all custom, and took about 7 months from start to finish, but for only 1800 sq ft.

What I've never understood is why it takes so long to do remodels. If a house can be framed and the roof put on in 1 week, why would it take months to do remodels even if they're including baths and a kitchen.

A lot of it comes down to availability of supplies and cabinetry. I'm not a professional, but if I had help building 900 square feet in my basement (including installing a bathroom), I could have been done in just a few days rather than a month.

It all comes down to the quality of the contractor and their ability to coordinate subcontractors and the cabinets. Sometimes that sounds like a good time to go on vacation.

I often see television shows on HGTV about the cost of doing remodels, like bathrooms. They talk about spending $10-20K on a bathroom, and I'm appalled. The components in bathrooms are just not that expensive--tubs, toilets and fixtures. And since square footage is so little, there's very little money spent on ceramic tile and flooring.

Kitchens are a different matter when it comes to costs, however. Still, good planning should keep the time frame short as it just doesn't take that long to install cabinetry and flooring.

Good luck to you in your decisions.

Our main home that we lived in for 25 years, we picked off renovations one section at a time, including a kitchen renovation with a different layout and all new cherry cabinets. It is hard living in a construction zone.

Our current home we tore down and rebuilt, so it was like new construction and it was pretty much done before we moved in.

We renovated the kitchen of our Florida condo two years ago.... that was the best renovation of all... we found a local craftsman that we trusted and the whoe project was done while we were home for the summer... he kept up informed with pictures, texts and calls.

I wouldn't bother to move for Optins 1 and 2... I would do a section at a time... though I might take a long vacation while the kitchen is renovated unless it can be done quickly.

I just completed a major reno that is similar to your option 3...added 2 bathrooms plus renovated the existing main bathroom, turned two small bedrooms into a new master, renovated the old master, and installed new flooring...all at the same time. At one point I had walls taken down, no closets, broken up concrete in the basement, all of my clothes in bags and I lived there the entire time.

I don't want to repeat that ever again. Construction debris and drywall dust was everywhere and it was impossible to find things. I was able to get a break by going to my girlfriend's 5 minutes away. If I did it again I would find somewhere else to live.

Regarding option 2...I'm pretty handy so knowing what I know now I would tackle one room at a time to minimize disruption. But if you're hiring someone that would significantly increase the cost.

We lived in a house during our 40s that needed work, lots of work. We didn't have many options other than living in the place. Some of the work was cosmetic and not too troublesome, until.... Well the basement was collapsing!

We hired a couple local guys who were great at this kind of work. It was winter and they liked working inside in the winter. They had to excavate one wall, jack it back to vertical, and mudjack some of the floor.Of course to mudjack you have to knock holes in the concrete with a jackhammer. So for a month we listened to jackhammers and construction downstairs.

Whatever you do, for your own peace of mind, get a room.

Last edited:
When we bought our house, we could not afford to remodel, and certainly could not afford to live somewhere else while remodeling. We also never wanted to borrow for remodeling. Instead, we saved money, then did a project. Saved some more and then did another. So we have lived through essentially 27 years of continuous home remodeling. The worst was when we added on and completely gutted and redid the kitchen. We were without kitchen facilities for six months and cooked everything in the microwave in the dining room, washing dishes in the bathtub. We also had all the floors, walls and ceilings redone, which necessitated moving every single thing out of each room as the work was done. We had the downstairs floors refinished again this past summer and took everything upstairs or out to the garage. My back aches just from the memory.

So, while you can live through everything, you may not want to.

Last edited:
Our house is 60 years old, pretty much everything has been redone. The only time we moved out was for re-sanding and finishing the wood floors. The worst was the kitchen, only because I had two young kids at home and trying to fix relatively healthy meals after work via microwave was not the easiest!
Several times the kitchen remodel was put on hold, waiting for the city inspectors to come out and OK each phase, to the tune of 1-3 weeks each time. The bathrooms were done close to one at a time (3), so we always had at least one available. However, that strung that project out several weeks.
IF I ever do anymore remodeling, I would move out. I did not like coming home from work everyday to dust EVERYWHERE, and trying to find things/move stuff.
I would also hire a cleaning crew to come in and do a complete house clean up before I moved back in. That would be my luxury cost added to any work:LOL:

Good luck with any choice you make and enjoy your new home!

Remodeling the entire kitchen was the most challenging. We set up a mini-kitchen on the dining room table that included a toaster oven and a microwave oven. We moved the refrigerator into the living room. We did all of our cooking in either the toaster oven or the microwave. We don't use a regular oven very often so not having one available wasn't a sacrifice for us. It was a bit of a sacrifice giving up the stove for the duration of the project but we made it work. We also ate in restaurants more frequently than usual, and brought home takeout meals more frequently than usual since they would require no preparation and little cleanup.

The worst was when we added on and completely gutted and redid the kitchen. We were without kitchen facilities for six months and cooked everything in the microwave in the dining room, washing dishes in the bathtub. We also had all the floors, walls and ceilings redone, which necessitated moving every single thing out of each room as the work was done.

In addition to the above suggestions, when DH installed laminate flooring in our kitchen, the weather was nice enough for me to make extensive use of our grill outside.

I have been through two major remodels in my previous house. Pretty much gutted the main floor. Ate out at restaurants or microwaved food in the laundry room for months. It was a tri-level so the living room was all of the furniture from downstairs. Had to put in all new sub floor and opened up walls. But dust aside, could locate upstairs for some comfort.

Then I gutted the upstairs except for one bedroom. Once again, furniture in the living room. Again, months in the making.

So, the house was completely upgraded and fantastic. A year later my wife tells me it's time to find I house that "I can call my own". Holy cow! Spent $100k+

So here we are in the new house and the lady who bought ours was pleased as punch.

We lived in our house through a major remodel keeping the footprint of the house. Did the remodel in 2 stages. Upstairs master and hall bath and downstairs laundry room in phase 1 as well as ripping up carpet and replacing with hardwood floors. Everything down to studs. DH and I as well as our 2 indoor cats lived in the downstairs guest bedroom. Fortunately I was retired at that time and moved everything from upstairs to downstairs except for furniture which was moved as the flooring went down.

Phase 2 was kitchen and downstairs bath as well as hardwood flooring. Moved everything except furniture upstairs. The remodeled laundry room became our kitchen with a hotplate and microwave. The washer dryer and fridge were moved into the garage. In both master bath and kitchen redos we moved plumbing and appliances as well as walls.

The contractor was great in closing off areas to keep drywall dust and stuff to a minimum. I would do this again rather than move out of the house.

For those of you who have lived through remodels, what do you think about trying to live in the home during the various options?

i've lived through two kitchen and two bathroom remodels

it sucks but it's better than staying in a hotel for an undetermined period of time

contractors never finish anything on time - whatever timeline he/she gives you, double it

I’d stay in the house if at all possible but one big consideration is whether or not I could shout off the HVAC while the drywall dust is flying. Kind of hard to live in a house in the cold of winter or heat of summer for too long without heat/air. I don’t like sucking all that dust into the forced air ducts. Otherwise, it’s doable by sectioning off the job and keeping one bathroom going at all times. You can eat out, but keeping a sink as long as possible is helpful too.

I’d stay in the house if at all possible but one big consideration is whether or not I could shout off the HVAC while the drywall dust is flying. Kind of hard to live in a house in the cold of winter or heat of summer for too long without heat/air. I don’t like sucking all that dust into the forced air ducts. Otherwise, it’s doable by sectioning off the job and keeping one bathroom going at all times. You can eat out, but keeping a sink as long as possible is helpful too.

excellent point - our hvac froze up during one of our remodels lol

TBH I haven't ever been through an extensive remodel, but from reading the previous posts, it sounds awful. I'd probably have had it done before I moved in (and stayed in an extended stay motel/hotel meanwhile), or else done without.

I did have all the wall-to-wall carpet replaced in my previous house at some point, and that was more than I would ever want to go through again. My present house was perfect for me "as is" when I bought it, although the yard needed major work.

Great advice on the hvac! I got the same advice from my BIL home builder. Also - don't use a shop vac to suck up the drywall dust - it will just spread it around. Use a broom and dust pan gingerly.

As I recall your dog has some health problems, doesn't he? Would it be easier for him to live elsewhere away from the stress and strangers and noise that go along with remodeling?

Also, will your contractor give you a break on the price if you move out and let him access all his work areas at once? It should save some labor costs and speed up the project if he can have the tile guy do multiple bathrooms and the kitchen at the same time; if the painters can do all their rooms at one go; if they can shut off water and electricity at will; etc. Probably not enough savings to cover your living costs completely, but maybe enough to make it worth considering.

Remodel? I just buy another house that suits our needs. And then get around to selling the last house 4-5 months later. It takes that long for me to move all our "stuff" including my work shop to the new house. We're going down 1000 square feet.

We've been moving boxes for 6 weeks right now. Getting around to moving the furniture next week hopefully. I expect reconditioning will take me until after Christmas to complete.

Great advice on the hvac! I got the same advice from my BIL home builder. Also - don't use a shop vac to suck up the drywall dust - it will just spread it around. Use a broom and dust pan gingerly.

I got the bulk of the drywall dust with a broom and then borrowed 50 feet of hose from a friend and put the shop vac on the deck to get the rest. After the filter clogged 3 times in 10 minutes I removed it and used the shop vac to transfer the dust from inside to outside.

Thanks for all the responses. Our house is 2,600 sq ft but all one level. The contractors we’ve met with have all recommended moving out, partly because of dust and partly because of noise. I think it also makes it easier for them and therefore less costly to us if they don’t have to worry about doing one area at a time.

Our dog is older and has congestive heart failure. He is on four meds and has a persistent cough. I don’t think it would help him to live with all the dust, and I’m also concerned that the noise would be very stressful for him.

We can likely rent a condo not far away. I agree that daily supervision is a good idea. If something isn’t done right, it can be nipped in the bud.

We were hoping to avoid the hassle and expense of moving again (twice), but these posts have helped me realize that if we can afford it, moving is probably best, especially considering our dog.

Back
Top Bottom