Living in Tennessee? Pros and Cons?

ER Eddie, remember that if you want cool summer weather and lower humidity you need to think of higher altitudes. In my research I found that I needed to be at around the 4000 foot elevation to be cool enough in the hot summer.

When you get to Linville,NC, check out my neighborhood, Linville Land Harbor. See the website. It is a large development with less expensive, smaller cabins /houses. It has a great pool, clubhouse, golf course, tennis, lake, fly fishing, etc. Near the Blue Ridge Parkway and great hiking, dancing, etc. Many fun things to do. If you want me to show you around when you get here, send me a PM.

Thanks for the offer, that's very nice.

Does it snow much in the winter, at 4000 ft.?

Look into Maryville. Small college town and only 20 minutes from Knoxville where you have UT and all that comes with a large university.

Good. I like university towns, thanks. I'm interested in finding a place with plenty of adult education.

Last edited:
Is lookout mountain split part in Ga and part in Tn?
That was one of the things I loved about Chattanooga and If I moved to that area it's where I would live . I even looked at homes and there are some in the high 200's.
I do a lot of driving around for fun and love to explore neighborhoods. Lookout Mountain is in my top tier.

Lookout mountain is split. The housing prices in Lookout Mountain are sky high, in keeping with the elevation.

Lookout mountain is split. The housing prices in Lookout Mountain are sky high, in keeping with the elevation.

Looking on realtor.com I see 3 houses at 234K, 255k, 259K on the Ga side and one at 299K on the Tn side.
Depends on how you look at it, but those prices don't seem that high.

Looking on realtor.com I see 3 houses at 234K, 255k, 259K on the Ga side and one at 299K on the Tn side.

Yeah, if that's "sky high," that's very reasonable.

Lookout Mtn

Lookout Mountain in TN, lurks above Chattanooga and Moccasin Bend and the TN River. It is known as the "old money" part of Lookout. Prices are higher and many homes are scattered along the bluff, overlooking Chatt and points west. Lookout Mtn TN is stunning yet quite pricey. As you traverse south along the mountain, you enter the Georgia side. It is less developed and not as expensive. Covenant College is on the GA side of the mtn. with very nice views. As you go south on the mountain in GA, the housing gets more varied with quite a range in pricing and very little amenities. It is much more rural and likely has good land available in which to build, should you desire. However, with Georgia, you also get state income tax, which is a clear advantage for Tennessee, which has none. Jasper Highlands, on the other hand, is in TN and one can see Lookout Mtn from it. It too, sits atop the Cumberland Plateau and enjoys the same cooler temps and views as does Lookout Mtn. TN, yet is much less crowded. If you decide to look into Jasper Highlands, the folks in the office there are experts at providing tours. Worth checking out, if you like the "mountain feel". jasperhighlands.com

I got mine from looking at the map on Zillow. I was thinking of the ones with a view. Close to the blue line. Try 465 Brow Lake Rd ($495k). 254 Frontier Bluff Rd ($549k) 134 Stonesthrow Ln ($885k) Of course, these are all below what my social status deserves. I would really have to consider 165 Gnome Trl #538. It has recently been reduced to $1,495,000.

I got mine from looking at the map on Zillow. I was thinking of the ones with a view. Close to the blue line. Try 465 Brow Lake Rd ($495k). 254 Frontier Bluff Rd ($549k) 134 Stonesthrow Ln ($885k) Of course, these are all below what my social status deserves. I would really have to consider 165 Gnome Trl #538. It has recently been reduced to $1,495,000.

Ha ha. I hear you. I too really like the beautiful more expensive homes up there and that is part of the charm of living there. I was just impressed that you could at least live in the community for a lot less if you had a limited budget.
I can't figure out the feeling I get from that neighborhood. I want to say rich old money preppy?
The only thing I didn't like was having to drive up and down the mountain for amenities.

Let's face it, the base of.Lookout Mtn. is pretty ratty. You have to go thru there to get up on the mountain. You also have Signal Mountain across the river with nice homes and vistas.
I see the entrance to Jasper Highlands.from the interstate. It is not clear online what the price range is for 1400 to 2500 square foot homes. Does look really nice, however. Of course it is some 25 miles north almost to the base of Monteagle Mountain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer, that's very nice.

Does it snow much in the winter, at 4000 ft.?

Regarding snow in the winter in Linville, NC I had to look this up because I am only in Linville through October each year, I spend the winter in Chapel Hill, NC so I have the best of both worlds.

According to the internet the average snow fall in Linville is 54 inches, which sounds like a lot to me since in Chapel Hill we hardly get any snow at all (but in the summer Chapel Hill is HOT and humid). I spend May 1- October 31 in Linville and the rest of the time in Chapel Hill, NC (home of the University of North Carolina). I know there are several ski resorts in the Linville area (Sugar Mountain, Beech Mountain) but I think the resorts have to make snow a lot of the time.

I guess it is a trade off-- to get high enough elevation (4000 feet) that it is cool in the summer you are going to get some snow in the winter. So far this summer in Linville I have not had to cut on the air conditioner. Today I am having to wear a light sweater, perfect temperature, around 72.

Could you spend the coldest winter months (December, January, February) somewhere warmer and the rest of the year in a high elevation place like Linville, NC?

Oh by the way, I saw the discussion of the expensive houses at Lookout Mountain, TN. In Linville, NC there are plenty of expensive houses in places like Linville Ridge and Grandfather Golf and Country Club but in my neighborhood of Linville Land Harbor (we have a nice golf course too) you could get a very nice smallish 3 bedroom 2 bath house (say 1800 square feet) for $200,000-250,000.

ER Eddie, I see you are single. I am married but I know a lot of nice single women I could introduce you to in the Linville, NC area. If you can dance (even a little) you would be set for life. :)). I better be quiet, I know this is not suppose to be a dating site. !!!

Just a few comments and corrections, the base of Lookout Mountain is kind of ratty ? Are you referring to the St. Elmo/Broad Street area, if so I can show you ratty and it isn't at the foot of Lookout Mountain. As for the Ga. state tax there is an exemption on retirement income.This exclusion allows a retiree who is 65 year or older to shield from state income taxes up to $65,000 in pension or investment income a year if single, $130,00 a year if married. It helps younger retirees -- ages 62 to 64 -- too. They are exempt from state income tax on as much as $35,000 of most types of retirement income, $4,000 in wages. As for living on Lookout Mt. it wouldn't be my cup of tea as getting up and down the mountain during anytime of inclement weather can be a real pain not to mention there aren't many areas to shop for plain necessities. And in my opinion the temperature differential is negligible.

Weather in Tri-Cities

My wife and I made a very calculated decision in relocating to the Johnson City area for our (future) retirement. We moved from Atlanta 3 years ago and couldn’t be happier… won’t go into all the reasons, but it is almost perfect for us. I did want to make an observation about the “hot summers,” since I am not a warm weather person either.

I can’t speak for the rest of the state, but here, the average high in July/August is only about three degrees cooler than Atlanta. However, the low at night averages 7 degrees cooler. You might think that doesn’t matter much, since it occurs overnight, but… the lower overnight temperature means that it stays cool later in the morning and cools down earlier in the evening. This makes the hottest part of the day noticeably shorter than it is in Atlanta (on average).

The summer itself feels shorter, perhaps by about 2 weeks on each side. It also helps that there are usually 2-3 snows each winter, plus a few more days of flurries (ie. four seasons). We are not that far from Roan Mountain and Wolf Laurel, where snow is fairly common in the winter, and even summer highs can be about 10-15 degrees cooler.

All-in-all, I think this is the best part of Tennessee.

About Lookout Mtn - I wouldn't live there. I don't like "rich" communities. I want to live with the real people. No offense to all the rich people here ... I suppose I'm a rich person but have always lived in humble surroundings.

My ideal house would be 2 bedroom, 1 bath, about 1200 square feet. I'm hoping to pay about 130K for it.

Most of the ones around here were built in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. I got mine 10 years ago for 70K.

ER Eddie, I see you are single. I am married but I know a lot of nice single women I could introduce you to in the Linville, NC area. If you can dance (even a little) you would be set for life. :)). I better be quiet, I know this is not suppose to be a dating site. !!!

Ha, thanks, but I'm not looking to get set up. :cool:

Part of the reason I can afford ER is that I've avoided marriage and perhaps women in general (at least for the past several years). Women can be expensive, especially with kids attached. I was married for 4 years but got out quick, with minimal financial damage (maybe 50K). Not really looking to get hooked up again. Dating maybe.

Why am I blathering on about this? Off topic...

Regarding snow in the winter in Linville, NC I had to look this up because I am only in Linville through October each year, I spend the winter in Chapel Hill, NC so I have the best of both worlds.

According to the internet the average snow fall in Linville is 54 inches, which sounds like a lot to me

I looked it up. It is a lot. Avg snowfall in US = 26 inches. Avg snowfall for Chicago = 35 inches. I lived in Chicago. They get a lot of snow. Blizzards.

So yeah, Linville gets a lot of snow in the winter. I don't think I'd want to live there, because of that.

Could you spend the coldest winter months (December, January, February) somewhere warmer and the rest of the year in a high elevation place like Linville, NC?

I could take trips to cool off, in the summer, but I don't want to pay for two places.

I think I'll end up at the lower elevations. That's how it's looking so far, anyhow.

As for the Ga. state tax there is an exemption on retirement income.This exclusion allows a retiree who is 65 year or older to shield from state income taxes up to $65,000 in pension or investment income a year if single, $130,00 a year if married. It helps younger retirees -- ages 62 to 64 -- too. They are exempt from state income tax on as much as $35,000 of most types of retirement income, $4,000 in wages.

That's a nice bonus for living in Georgia. MS is similar, I think. Very favorable to retirees.

However, the low at night averages 7 degrees cooler. You might think that doesn’t matter much, since it occurs overnight, but… the lower overnight temperature means that it stays cool later in the morning and cools down earlier in the evening. This makes the hottest part of the day noticeably shorter than it is in Atlanta (on average).

The summer itself feels shorter, perhaps by about 2 weeks on each side. It also helps that there are usually 2-3 snows each winter, plus a few more days of flurries (ie. four seasons). We are not that far from Roan Mountain and Wolf Laurel, where snow is fairly common in the winter, and even summer highs can be about 10-15 degrees cooler.

That's great. I like taking night walks, so cooler nights are a definite plus. Thanks for mentioning that.

Last edited:
About Lookout Mtn - I wouldn't live there. I don't like "rich" communities. I want to live with the real people. No offense to all the rich people here ... I suppose I'm a rich person but have always lived in humble surroundings.

To each their own, but isn't this stereotyping people?

You just said you were rich, does this mean you aren't a real person? That you are shallow?

How would you feel if people avoided you because they prejudged you?

The houses range from 200k to 1.5 million. People aren't really rich if they live in a 200 to 500K house.

To each their own, but isn't this stereotyping people?

You just said you were rich, does this mean you aren't a real person? That you are shallow?

How would you feel if people avoided you because they prejudged you?

I don't want to get the thread off topic. Was going so nicely.

I've got nothing against rich people, I just don't want to live in a community of them. I've always preferred living in a lower middle class neighborhood. Less concern with appearances.

Last edited:
First off I want to thank ER Eddie for starting this question/post and for everyone who gave suggestions. So many great questions and answers/suggestions. My husband and I are looking into moving to east Tennessee to retire. We plan on coming out there next year not sure spring or summer yet. Looking at the Mountain City area or if you have any suggestions on where we would be able to have snow for Christmas time, not too expensive, that would be helpful. We currently are hiding out/living for two more years in Big Bear CA until we can retire and move. Just can't wait for that to happen. It is perfect except it is still CA. The snow we get here is about 60" for the season but it is a resort town and we are held hostage to the skiers during winter. It is a great place to hold up in until we move. We have learned to not go out on certain holidays or after a big storm hits. Otherwise it is only about 6000 of us up here on our mountain. Again thanks for the great reading!

First off I want to thank ER Eddie for starting this question/post and for everyone who gave suggestions. So many great questions and answers/suggestions. My husband and I are looking into moving to east Tennessee to retire. We plan on coming out there next year not sure spring or summer yet. Looking at the Mountain City area or if you have any suggestions on where we would be able to have snow for Christmas time. . . . . Again thanks for the great reading!

Mountain City may be a little remote. The road going from Bristol is a snake, and It takes about an hour to get 25 miles. I much better prefer outside Jonesborough or even Greeneville--both excellent communities. Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain ski areas are maybe 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Oh by the way, I saw the discussion of the expensive houses at Lookout Mountain, TN. In Linville, NC there are plenty of expensive houses in places like Linville Ridge and Grandfather Golf and Country Club but in my neighborhood of Linville Land Harbor (we have a nice golf course too) you could get a very nice smallish 3 bedroom 2 bath house (say 1800 square feet) for $200,000-250,000.

I was talking to my sister last night who lives summers in the Elk River Club in Banner-Elk, NC--close to Linville. It is an equestrian neighborhood with a Jack Nicklass golf course and a 4600 foot landing strip lined with personal King Airs. Homes are $1 million+ on average.

Despite having two ski mountains, million dollar chalets and high rise condos, it is NC's poorest county. My sister is fascinated with what she calls "the invisible people" that live in the hollers and mountains--and seldom go to town. Don't ever let anyone tell you hillbillies don't still exist.

My sister and a very wealthy neighbor have formed a charity organization to serve the truly poor and unfortunate of their county. Winters there are especially tough economically when tourists and part time residents return to their primary homes. There are so many area social problems requiring assistance including children without homes.

In other words, looks in communities may be deceiving. Many places are not what they may appear to be. Study where you want to move in detail.

Last edited:
Mountain City may be a little remote. The road going from Bristol is a snake, and It takes about an hour to get 25 miles. I much better prefer outside Jonesborough or even Greeneville--both excellent communities. Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain ski areas are maybe 45 minutes.
I thank you for your suggestion. I saw a home in Greenville on Zillow the other day and my husband fell in love. It has the trees he loves, and the huge garage made his eyes swell with love. He is a wood turner and that one had more then enough room to work. Too bad it is to early for us to jump on it. Jonesborough seems to have a few foreclosure in that area any certain reason you think for that? How is the weather in Greenville? I have a friend who used to live in Elizabethton and said she loved it there. We live on a mountain now and it takes us 45 minutes to get off it to go do the major shopping at Costco and hit up home depot for hubby supplies.

I was talking to my sister last night who lives summers in the Elk River Club in Banner-Elk, NC--close to Linville. It is an equestrian neighborhood with a Jack Nicklass golf course and a 4600 foot landing strip lined with personal King Airs. Homes are $1 million+ on average.

Despite having two ski mountains, million dollar chalets and high rise condos, it is NC's poorest county. My sister is fascinated with what she calls "the invisible people" that live in the hollers and mountains--and seldom go to town. Don't ever let anyone tell you hillbillies don't still exist.

My sister and a very wealthy neighbor have formed a charity organization to serve the truly poor and unfortunate of their county. Winters there are especially tough economically when tourists and part time residents return to their primary homes. There are so many area social problems requiring assistance including children without homes.

In other words, looks in communities may be deceiving. Many places are not what they may appear to be. Study where you want to move in detail.

Not Tennessee, but the area around my old stomping grounds in southern Indiana has many examples of this. No airports or Nicklaus’ golf courses, but there are many large homes outside of the small towns, some obviously farms, but others just McMansions on 1-2 acre lots. I see two issues with this, one being the abandoned trailers and falling down houses, many right next door (and many potential meth labs/heroin dens), and the other being finding a potential buyer should you need/want to sell. Not everyone will see your “dream home in the country” the same way you do, and this is a relatively impoverished area, where a limited number of professionals can earn a living that could support such a property, but where most locals couldn’t. Of course, if your planning on being carried out by the undertaker, it’ll be your kids’ problem.

Then there’s the only shopping being a Walmart, the best restaurant around being a Cracker Barrel, and the main emergency room facility 25+ miles away. Also spotty cell coverage and internet availability...

We retired to East Tn last year and love it. We moved from Orange County Ca. We love it, but... Be ready. It rains ALL THE TIME. The summers are HOT and HUMID. Last winter was beyond freezing. (-0 A LOT). We live in Cumberland County. This is not the Bible belt. It is THE BUCKLE of the Bible belt. Uber Christian, conservative, Angelo-Saxon (White). The pace is beyond slow outside of the cities. If you need something done (plumbing, electrical, landscape etc) good luck. People are not into getting ahead here. They simply get by and are in no hurry to earn any more than the median income ($29000). There are snakes (copper heads, rattlers), bears, TICKS galore and the nights are NOISY (Tree frogs, Katydids etc). The terrian is brutal. Going outdoors can get you twisted up real fast. Rough terrian, caves, cliffs, rocks, roots, rain, lightining, bears, ticks, snakes, etc. Locals do not take kindly to outsiders. Most are friendly to your face, however if you are not a native... We love it. I love the outdoors, we travel most of the time, and the natural beauty is beyond spectacular however it is not for everyone.

I have 3 days set to visit Fairfield Glades in Crossville, Tn in September. Is anyone familiar with the area and it's weather. Some say winter is harsh, but I intend to winter in Florida with any luck.

VW

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom