Living in Tennessee? Pros and Cons?

I know quite a few people who moved from So CA to Nashville due to a Megacorp relocation. Most of them love the change. The reasons cited are:
- Four seasons climate - not sure where you are in MS, but may not have that now
- Prettier scenery; i.e., mountains/hills
- Slower pace of life
- Friendly people
- Lower CoL than CA, although higher than MS

On the downside, it’s not very close to an ocean if that has any importance. Weather (heat, humidity, rain, bugs) isn’t as nice, but probably better than MS. And some prefer the culture in So CA, but you’ve already adapted to MS so no issue for you.

I was born and raised in Nashville, but moved to Memphis for college--staying 18 years. Moved home to Nashville and worked in Middle and East Tennessee for years. I live 20 miles south of Tennessee with the beautiful Tennessee River in my front hard. Let me keep this short and sweet as.possible:
The Hall Tax is a state income tax on income derived from outside the State of Tennessee. And it is being phased out. In state interest, dividends and business partnership incomes are not taxed. The state does have high sales taxes, but does not get you on personal property taxes on cars, boats, furniture and fixtures like other states.
Tennessee has 3 distinct regions--West, Middle, East.
West TN is not the.place to live due to a deteriorating society and cities that are not very nice. The land is flat--great farms--but not at all interesting.
Middle Tennessee is a great place to live, with Nashville as one of the fastest growing and lively cities in the U.S. But home prices in Nashville area are out of sight. Surrounding cities are hotspots and just about all are model communities. Many, many music and movie stars choose living south of Nashville when they could live anywhere--for the standard of living.
East Tennessee is mountainous and had a bunch of beautiful Tennessee River tributary lakes. Chattanooga, Knoxville and TriCities are the big population areas, but there are a bunch of medium size cities with very nice societies. .Johnson City/Jonesborough, Greenville and Morristown are.very nice cities in Upper East Tennessee. What I really like about East TN is.the unique people.
I have worked throughout the South extensively, including Mississippi. Other than the university towns there, society is poor economically and socially. Get out as soon as possible.

I looked at a few Youtube videos about Chattanooga. It looks great, perfect for me -- healthy art scene, lots of hiking, low CoL. It reminds me of Denver, southern style, minus the weed.

I'll have to visit there soon. Spend a week, see what it's like.

I have worked throughout the South extensively, including Mississippi. Other than the university towns there, society is poor economically and socially. Get out as soon as possible.

Yeah, I'm in one of the university towns, so it's not so bad. But there's not much going on here besides restaurants and sports. Kind of dull. Pop is about 50K, so Chatt. will be 3x that.

Last edited:
I would want to be close to the river.

I looked at a few Youtube videos about Chattanooga. It looks great, perfect for me -- healthy art scene, lots of hiking, low CoL. It reminds me of Denver, southern style, minus the weed.

I'll have to visit there soon. Spend a week, see what it's like.

Yeah, I'm in one of the university towns, so it's not so bad. But there's not much going on here besides restaurants and sports. Kind of dull. Pop is about 50K, so Chatt. will be 3x that.

Chattanooga might be a really good choice for you. It is a nice smaller city on the TVA lake system, and only an hour and a half to Knoxville, and two hours to Atlanta or Nashville.

From my visits there it seems like a really nice city. But then I'm partial to national battlefield parks :D

Chattanooga might be a really good choice for you. It is a nice smaller city on the TVA lake system, and only an hour and a half to Knoxville, and two hours to Atlanta or Nashville.

From my visits there it seems like a really nice city. But then I'm partial to national battlefield parks :D

Yeah, that's right, it's got some amazing history.

I would want to be close to the river.

East Tennessee is amazing for river life. We never got into the boat culture (Vol navy et al) but regularly went out with our neighbor on their boat. We could launch at a local marina or public boat ramp and cruise 30 miles up stream and and then back in a day. Great fun. That's what we did for the eclipse last year.

And that is without traversing a lock, which the Corps of Engineers will cycle for even a john boat. From Knoxville or Chattanooga the Tennessee river system is navigable to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf.

Timely thread as I've been planning a road trip to Eastern TN for this coming week. It is probable, although the massive heat wave is making me pause.

TN is on my list of possible post 2nd retirement places (after DC is in college or maybe after college). No state income tax, removal of the out of state interest/dividend tax. I like hiking and outdoors adventures.

I am also considering western states such as Arizona, Utah, Idaho, South Dakota but a trip to TN is easier logistically (I live in New York).

I went to grad school in Murfreesboro (Middle Tn east of Nashville) back in the day and liked it a lot. My DIL is from Kingsport (East Tn) and speaks highly of it. Her family is still there and can't understand how she tolerates living in the Chicago burbs.

The only negative I can think of concerning Middle and East Tn would be the hot, hot summers if you aren't high in the mountains. But, I think Chicago summers are hot so it's all relative.......

I've always enjoyed visiting the central portion of Tenn. (Nashville, especially.) My only suggestion would be to be certain you have the availability of good health care (clinics, hospitals, heart-care, cancer treatment, etc.) where ever you end up. As you (we) age, excellent health care facilities become a real issue for many if not most. YMMV

All of the cities mentioned have 1st class health facilities. I think you would be very satisfied with the Chattanooga area. We came through there Wednesday and always in awe of what they have done with their waterfront including festivals, concerts, etc. The city is doing a great job. We also came up the Ocoee River and it is a magnificent white water for rafting and kayaking.

Last edited:

I guess it depends on what a person wants. Restaurants and sports related activities are high on my list. But the AL coast is also part of my normal routine so that adds variety for me.

There is an area popular with retirees ( on CD data) that is around Loudon, TN.
I forget the name but you should look into it. Tenn would be too much Deliverance for me!

The only negative I can think of concerning Middle and East Tn would be the hot, hot summers if you aren't high in the mountains. But, I think Chicago summers are hot so it's all relative.......

I'm from MS, and it'll be a few degrees cooler in Chattanooga, so I'm ok with it. I dislike the MS summers but there isn't much you can do about it. Just stay inside, mostly.

I forget the name but you should look into it.

I looked it up, there's a place called The Neighborhood at Tellico Village there. It's a retirement community. Looks pretty upscale.

https://www.55places.com/tennessee/communities/tellico-village

I wouldn't want to live in a retirement community, personally. I like to live free.

Last edited:
Tellico Village is a very nice development around Vonore,.south of Maryville. It may be on the Little Tennessee. It is a Cooper Community which has a bunch of real estate deve!moments around the south.

Other great developments are in Crossville, like Fairfield.Glade. It is a city of golf courses and country clubs.

Here are my pros for moving to Chattanooga:

- 3 to 5 degrees cooler
- CoL about the same, maybe a little more. Home prices about the same, maybe a little more
- It's a hub city: 2 hrs to Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, or Atlanta.
- Nickname is "The Scenic City."
- Lots of support for outdoor activity, including hiking and biking.
- 57 trailheads within half an hour's drive.
- Fastest internet
- The art scene, Hunter Museum, Bluff View art district
- Lonely Planet named it "Best in the US"
- Outdoors magazine named it best twice.
- No state income tax
- State interest/dividend tax is getting phased out.
- TN Riverpark (runs 10 miles along river)
- Aquarium
- Ruby Falls (underground caverns and falls)
- Audobon Acres

The cons are basically the hassles, expenses, and losses of moving. Severing of a few friendships. Loss of easy employment.

At this point, I'm tentatively planning to go full retirement in 1 year 2 months, and then move to Chattanooga or thereabouts.

I need to take at least one long trip there. 10 days or so. I can do that in Sept. or Oct.

Last edited:
I live in the summer in a small place -- Linville North Carolina. About 30 minutes east of Johnson City Tenn. and about 30 minutes south of Boone, NC. Wonderful summer weather. We are at 4000 feet altitude. Never gets above 80 degrees and has low humidity. Great hiking (Linville Gorge, Appalachian Trial, etc). Great fly fishing. Fun bluegrass music and flatfooting dancing. Several Universities nearby (Appalachian State, East Tennessee State). Nice golf courses. In the winter there is some cold and some snow but not too bad. There are several ski resorts close by.

I never hear of any serious crime in our area (maybe a few drug deals, some drunk driving, I can't remember anything really serious).

Come and take a look at the Linville, NC, Banner Elk, NC, Boone, NC, Johnson City TN area.

Tenn would be too much Deliverance for me!

Wrong state. Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River on the GA/SC border. I am sitting about 25 miles from there in my RV, and I can hear those chords in my head.

Wrong state. Deliverance was filmed on the Chattooga River on the GA/SC border. I am sitting about 25 miles from there in my RV, and I can hear those chords in my head.

cue banjoes. That does sound more like Georgia than TN. I hope.

Come and take a look at the Linville, NC, Banner Elk, NC, Boone, NC, Johnson City TN area.

Thanks for the tip! I will. I'm thinking TN rather than NC, but they're very similar in that area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom