loosehead at loose ends

loosehead

Dryer sheet wannabe
Well, I've now been retired since September 1st. And frankly, it has not set in as yet. Right now I feel as if I'm engaging in a long vacation, certainly not retirement. A friend who has been retired over 8 years says it takes at least a year to get into a "retiree" groove, where one "revels" in the beauty of being retired and begins to move forward. I guess I've only felt that once, when I was lunching at a spot where most of the men were wearing ties and I was in shorts and flip flops...but it was ephemeral.

Certaily being busy has not been an issue. Hell, I'm wondering now how I ever got personal issues resolved in the past while working. I have a whole laundry list of activities in retirement I want to accomplish, almost all of which I've yet to start. That said, since August we've sold the house, moved to a leased home, and totally reconfigured our short-long term investments. And, I know I still have a lot of post-corporate decompression remaining.

I guess what I am really asking is what has been your experience insofar as leaving work behind and getting into the flow of the retiree's life?

Thanks,

Loosehead

Well, I've been retired for eight months and I still wake up every day feeling like I'm on one really great vacation -- so I can't say when the feeling of being retired sets in. All I know is my worst day of retirement so far is still a million times better than my best day at work ever was!

clarification

I do not believe I accurately portrayed my situation...

My question is better formulated as:

" What are your experiences in transitioning from reaching retirement to getting to the business of being retired", that is, going from "wow, I'm retired to, ok, these are the things I want to accomplish and settling down to doing so..."

" What are your experiences in transitioning from reaching retirement to getting to the business of being retired", that is, going from "wow, I'm retired to, ok, these are the things I want to accomplish and settling down to doing so..."

You mean like settling down to accomplish a daily afternoon nap, spending countless hours on boards like this participating in endless chatter, taking three hours to wash the car because you're busy yakking with the neighbor instead of scrubbing.........or what?

Take a breath. Relax. You'll have time for creating a retirement accomplishment gant chart in Power Point format later.

ER'd 14.5 months here. Not settled down yet and hope I never am.

Congrats on ER!!

Last edited:

Sounds like you miss work. There are quite a few things that I probably should be doing. However, why do today what you can put off until tomorrow. IMHO a person needs to add small doses of work IF they are getting bored. FIREd 15 months ago and still not bored. Maybe I will start some of the chores tomorrow. Then again, maybe not. :D

It took me about six months to detox from w*rk.

I left work without really thinking about retirement -- it was more of a sabbatical. The first few months were like a nice summer vacation. Then I started thinking "what's next?" I started negotiating with somebody on a possible business purchase. We had a disagreement about an important term in the contract, and I felt a surge of adrenaline pump into my stomach.

I remember thinking "what was that? I haven't felt that squirt of adrenaline since I left work six months ago...." And then I knew. I was retired. :)

Yes,

You all are right on! While I do not miss work (the old job) I have not rid myself of the worklife habits deveoped over 30+ years. I was always a results oriented, somewhat driven personality. Hopefully nothing that kicking back and following Vonnegut's theory, " Our purpose here on earth is to fart around," won't fix!

Advice from my older brother (retired 2 years), when I retired - "The first thing you need to do is to get rid of the ridiculous idea that you need to be accomplishing something".

Step back and let it happen. You are the boss now.

For the first six months I felt like I should be accomplishing something then one day I just realized I'd worked 39 years so I deserved to fart around for awhile .

I still work.

I'm reading a book about six sigma, because I have to. In chapter one, they address the issue of why I have to do six sigma:

Imagine you're being chased by a bear. Its not good enough to run away. You need to run away from the bear faster than the next guy, so he gets eaten and you escape.

In retirement, there are no bears.

Since I left thw world of w*rk, I've set out to accomplish one thing: I need to find a word similar to 'manyana' but without the sense of utmost urgentcy.

If not Manyana, then . . .

Since I left thw world of w*rk, I've set out to accomplish one thing: I need to find a word similar to 'manyana' but without the sense of utmost urgentcy.

I tend to favor Roundtuit -- no urgency whatsoever. :D

Let It Be

Habits are hard to give up - not impossible:). You will be as happy and as involved as you decide to be, the decision will be made by you in your own good time. Enjoy today and how you feel, who knows what tomorrow brings?

It took quite a while for me to unwind from from the stress and programing of my past work life, a year (?) maybe some do it sooner, some do it later, a few never let go of the past and enjoy the present. When in doubt have a sit, feel like it have a nap, just need to move go for a walk. Just let it be, you'll get there .... if you want to:D if you don't that's OK too:D. Now you make the rules, agenda, plan, program-heady stuff when you think of it.

Kitty

Back
Top Bottom