Massage chairs

How would you return something that huge and bulky? That's what keeps us from buying a massage chair - that, and the cost of repairs, since they are reputed to malfunction often.

I would only buy a chair from Costco if I was going to buy one, since they will take it back if it fails. .

I wouldn't pay $5K either for a massage chair, but I would have paid $2-3K if I could have found one with a longer warranty.

A personal massage is nice and I do get one every month, but sometimes I just want to sit in my living room with nobody around and let the chair help to loosen me up and relax. The chair allows one to do it without any requirement to schedule a visit or make a trip somewhere. So I don't really see one being a substitute for the other.

The chairs I've seen have extended warranties available for purchase. The OSaki-4000T Massage Chair is a well known brand (I think) available from houzz on sale for $2495 (+$100 for shipping). It has a 3 yr limited warranty. I think they just replaced this model with a fancier version.
https://www.houzz.com/product/94187...7114&msclkid=af1fc43bbb701317119d9efdd3169bcf

Ever since visiting Japan, I've wanted one, but the size and cost kept me from getting one. My former boss was a paid tax preparer, and when I mentioned wanting one, he said all of the clients that he had who had the chairs had died! Not sure of their ages, etc....just something to ponder. I used to get weekly massages, but then I got married, and started cycling to work, and swimming laps for exercise. I haven't had a massage in 4+ years, and mostly don't miss or need them!

Ever since visiting Japan, I've wanted one, but the size and cost kept me from getting one. My former boss was a paid tax preparer, and when I mentioned wanting one, he said all of the clients that he had who had the chairs had died! Not sure of their ages, etc....just something to ponder. .....

We'll I expect to die, with or without a massage chair purchase :LOL:.

At Costco this morning to check out the less expensive Altera at $3,999 ($5.5K retail) and have pretty much decided to purchase. DH will go with me later today to try out this model (he tried out the Genesis yesterday). I confirmed with Costco front desk that their generous return policy applies to all purchases including road show purchases. So if it's not repairable after warranty expiration, we simply return it :LOL:. It only weights 229 lbs. vs. Genesis at 324 lbs.

WRT to warranty, they are throwing in a freebie extended warranty that brings parts to 5 years. The problem is labor stays at one year and I suspect that's the case with other brands also. There is no way to extend the labor warranty.

The "Relax The Back" franchise is heavily advertising in our area. I realize they are marketed as Zero-Gravity chairs, but I believe some have heat & massage. Do any of you have experience with those, maybe the OP might consider that brand if they are decent.

Many years ago I sat/laid in one of those heated, reclining massage chairs that made me look like that mechanical exoskeleton in one of the Alien movies. If I had one at home it would completely redefine the words "Couch Potato" ;)

_B

How would you return something that huge and bulky? That's what keeps us from buying a massage chair - that, and the cost of repairs, since they are reputed to malfunction often.

If you purchased it from Costco online and had it delivered, Costco will usually send a truck to pick it up if you want to return it.

Hmmm...doesn't say that on their web site under "refunds and returns." Says to return items to nearest Costco warehouse.

Has anyone actually returned a heavy item to Costco? Did you have to return it yourself or did they send a truck to get it? I think there was a Costco thread somewhere...

If you purchased it from Costco online and had it delivered, Costco will usually send a truck to pick it up if you want to return it.

We bought a Cozzia massage chair from Relax the Back for Christmas. It was $6000, but we talked them down to $5000. It has a 3 year warranty. Ive had a back surgery and a neck surgery and have other discs that have given me serious problems for many years and continue to cause problems intermittently. In short, my back is jacked up.

We've had the chair 3 months and Ive used it twice a day just about every single day (other than when we are traveling). My back hasnt felt this good in quite some time. I still cant play golf or softball and probably never will again but the constant annoying pain that Ive experienced for many years is mostly gone. Not only does the chair feel amazingly good every single time, but I'm convinced that it is helping my overall back health. It feels better than any massage Ive ever gotten from a human.

We tried 2 chairs at Brookstone and this chair is far superior to the $2500-$3500 chairs at Brookstone.

My wife also uses the chair 5-6 times a week. Even if it breaks the day after the 3 year warranty expires, I will feel like we got more than our moneys worth.

Hmmm...doesn't say that on their web site under "refunds and returns." Says to return items to nearest Costco warehouse.

Has anyone actually returned a heavy item to Costco? Did you have to return it yourself or did they send a truck to get it? I think there was a Costco thread somewhere...

I believe the thread was about mattresses and someone mentioned that Costco sent a truck to pick up a mattress so the member didn't have to find a way to get it to the warehouse.

It may not be official policy, but generally Costco does whatever it needs to in order to keep their members happy.

We bought a Cozzia massage chair from Relax the Back for Christmas. It was $6000, but we talked them down to $5000. It has a 3 year warranty. Ive had a back surgery and a neck surgery and have other discs that have given me serious problems for many years and continue to cause problems intermittently. In short, my back is jacked up.

We've had the chair 3 months and Ive used it twice a day just about every single day (other than when we are traveling). My back hasnt felt this good in quite some time. I still cant play golf or softball and probably never will again but the constant annoying pain that Ive experienced for many years is mostly gone. Not only does the chair feel amazingly good every single time, but I'm convinced that it is helping my overall back health. It feels better than any massage Ive ever gotten from a human.

We tried 2 chairs at Brookstone and this chair is far superior to the $2500-$3500 chairs at Brookstone.

My wife also uses the chair 5-6 times a week. Even if it breaks the day after the 3 year warranty expires, I will feel like we got more than our moneys worth.

Glad you are pleased with your chair. Based on my very limited experience, I am not surprised that you are so happy with the purchase. As I mentioned, the high end chair at my local Brookstone was the Cozzia QE SE. It was $6k and salesman mentioned their price was much cheaper than the Cozzia website. Sure enough, it is listed for $8k on the website. This could be an MSRP price or maybe a sub-model with fewer features. Looking at the RTB website, it appears to be the same chair.

Funny story....many years ago I took DW to Brookstone to try one out, but she immediately jumped out of the chair and refused to go anywhere near a massage chair for all these years. I couldn't even get her to try different settings to find one she liked. So this is my biggest challenge.

is that with tip?

I get about two 90 minute massages a month - first one is $68 and second+ ones are $78. I usually tip $20 per massage.

No tip. We tried a few times in the past few years and she refused. So now we give her vegetables and fruit from our organic garden. She enjoys that. I also have given her berry bowls, platters, serving bowls, etc. that I make in my studio and sell.

Cheers!

I bought a sharper image model in 2004 for $1600 plus $400 s&h to Alaska. I still use it nearly everyday. The surprisingly high quality pleather and walnut veneer armrests are in perfect condition so it looks good enough to be in the living room and used as a regular chair when not actively massaging. The seat cushion got pretty flat after ten years, so I sit on a throw pillow when using it.

I estimate I’ve paid about $0.40 per massage now. What a bargain!

Still, I’ve been hoping for three years that’ll it’ll break, so I have an excuse to get a new one with all the features. DW hopes this one lasts forever because modern massage chairs look all pod like and inappropriate with a living room decor.

Raced off to Costco today even though I don't have a membership. They didn't have any on display and said they only get them occasionally when a vendor comes in. I see some on their website but the point for me was to try it out before buying.

Raced off to Costco today even though I don't have a membership. They didn't have any on display and said they only get them occasionally when a vendor comes in. I see some on their website but the point for me was to try it out before buying.

Costco has what they call 'road shows' where various vendors come in and stay for a week. Ones we see regularly are window treatment, garage doors, flooring, solar, silk bedding, bamboo pillows, that type of stuff. This week until Sunday, at our local Costco, it's the Infinity massage chair vendor. They had 3 of their chairs for tryout. We bought. I need to add our purchase to the 'blow that dough' thread :LOL:.

Costco has what they call 'road shows' where various vendors come in and stay for a week. Ones we see regularly are window treatment, garage doors, flooring, solar, silk bedding, bamboo pillows, that type of stuff. This week until Sunday, at our local Costco, it's the Infinity massage chair vendor. They had 3 of their chairs for tryout. We bought. I need to add our purchase to the 'blow that dough' thread :LOL:.

Thanks. Infinity is the brand I demo'd at the car show.

You can look at the Costco Special Events page to see where they have demos.

https://www.costco.com/special-events-southeast.html#florida

They seem to have them at a Costco near me for another week.

Back
Top Bottom