Expedited passport service suggestions?

prudent_one

Recycles dryer sheets
Something has come up and I will need to travel to Canada the first week of August. By a miserable coincidence my passport will expire August 1. So I need to renew in an expedited fashion and I found these options from a service that has an arrangement with AAA:

Expedited Service takes 7-9 weeks, costs $200, but I need it sooner. :(
Priority Service takes just 2 weeks, but it costs $700 :mad:

Anyone know of a place that might take 4 weeks and costs somewhere in the middle? I can't go to a Passport office.

Have you looked into RushMyPassport.com? FedEx is working with them. I haven't navigated all the way through their site to find the costs, but another site shows the following:

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/rushmypassport.html

U.S. Passport Expediting Fees

The travel document processing fees below do not include government fees.

24-Hour Service 1 business day $449 + Gov Fee
Next Day 2 business days $349 + Gov Fee
Priority 3-5 business days $249 + Gov Fee
Rush 6-7 business days $169 + Gov Fee
Standard 8-10 business days $119 + Gov Fee
Basic 11-14 business days $99 + Gov Fee

Last edited:
Something has come up and I will need to travel to Canada the first week of August. By a miserable coincidence my passport will expire August 1. So I need to renew in an expedited fashion and I found these options from a service that has an arrangement with AAA:

Expedited Service takes 7-9 weeks, costs $200, but I need it sooner. :(
Priority Service takes just 2 weeks, but it costs $700 :mad:

Anyone know of a place that might take 4 weeks and costs somewhere in the middle? I can't go to a Passport office.

Check out the entry requirements for Canada -- you may not need a passport.

Thanks but that site's info is stale. Started there and clicked through to rushmypassport.com and saw the same fees I mentioned in my OP.

Check out the entry requirements for Canada -- you may not need a passport.

Oddly what I was able to find said that I can enter Canada from the US with a government photo ID plus a birth certificate. But I can't re-enter the US with just those documents. A passport/passport card or NEXUS-type card is required.

And just a few years after having to get a "Real ID" driver's license by bringing a birth certificate, proof of SSN and proof of residence to a license center, it turns out there's such a thing as a "Enhanced Driver's License" which is good for Canada/Mexico border crossings. And that's different from Real ID.

Oddly what I was able to find said that I can enter Canada from the US with a government photo ID plus a birth certificate. But I can't re-enter the US with just those documents. A passport/passport card or NEXUS-type card is required.

Have you asked whether a recently expired passport is acceptable for reentry into the US? I don;t know if that is the case for the US, but I know for a fact that many countries WILL let their citizens enter on expired passports.

And just a few years after having to get a "Real ID" driver's license by bringing a birth certificate, proof of SSN and proof of residence to a license center, it turns out there's such a thing as a "Enhanced Driver's License" which is good for Canada/Mexico border crossings. And that's different from Real ID.

Are you using a land border or flying?

My recent experience with Renewing an Expired Passport --

On Monday April 3rd, I brought my old Passport along with my valid Birth Certificate and a Photo ID Drivers License, plus a new Passport Photo to my regional US Postal Office. The cost was $150.

I was told the normal time frame to renew an Expired Passport was 12 - 14 weeks. I could pay the USPS an Expedited Fee of $60 plus tax....and I could expect the new Passport in 7 - 9 weeks. I paid both fees.

I received the new Passport by First Class Mail Delivery on Friday May 12th. That was about 5 weeks all told.

My recent experience with Renewing an Expired Passport --

On Monday April 3rd, I brought my old Passport along with my valid Birth Certificate and a Photo ID Drivers License, plus a new Passport Photo to my regional US Postal Office. The cost was $150.

I was told the normal time frame to renew an Expired Passport was 12 - 14 weeks. I could pay the USPS an Expedited Fee of $60 plus tax....and I could expect the new Passport in 7 - 9 weeks. I paid both fees.

I received the new Passport by First Class Mail Delivery on Friday May 12th. That was about 5 weeks all told.

Similar experience last fall. I received my passport 3 weeks to the day I mailed the paperwork.

Similar experience last fall. I received my passport 3 weeks to the day I mailed the paperwork.

The Regional Post Office is only 10 minutes from my house and they 'require' an appointment, but they take walk-ins too.

I think I got caught in the Spring Travel Rush in early April....the waiting room was full. A young married couple with a 4 month old child came in at lunchtime. They were taking a trip back to the Hubby's family in Germany to introduce their new baby.

I let them go in ahead of me.....my good deed for the month.

I sent in my renewal 4 April. Today I checked and it just got approved and should be mailed in the next week. Just a timeline data point for you with normal processing

Thanks to all for your comments. Decided to suck it up and pay for 2 week turnaround to be sure I have it in time.

Thanks to all for your comments. Decided to suck it up and pay for 2 week turnaround to be sure I have it in time.

Good decision.

And now, don't let your passport lapse! :D I learned my lesson at a very early age- worked for an international employer but figured they'd never send me to the offices outside of North America. In 1983, boss said, "How soon can you leave for London?". Oops. Back then you could show up in NYC (commuting distance from where I lived) with your old passport and proof that you needed to travel in the next couple of days. I spent an entire day standing in various lines in badly-ventilated corridors but I came home with a passport.

I haven't let one expire since.

I have always commenced the process to renew about 6 months prior to the expiration date. The timing can also be tricky because you have to send in the soon to expire one when you apply to renew, so you can't travel while it is pending.

I sent in my renewal 4 April. Today I checked and it just got approved and should be mailed in the next week. Just a timeline data point for you with normal processing

Passport just received 23 June.

For others:
Same day passport services are available at passport offices
Many major USPS offices do Same Day Saturday passports (anyway they did in San Francisco). It's kinda hidden and no where near you so ask your major USPS processing office (located only in major cities --- SF, SJ, Oak here)
Finally use an expedited and Blow That Dough. Sometimes being frugal just doesn't work

Last edited:
I have always commenced the process to renew about 6 months prior to the expiration date. The timing can also be tricky because you have to send in the soon to expire one when you apply to renew, so you can't travel while it is pending.

This is tempered somewhat by many Countries not allowing entry if your passport is going to expire within 6 months... I've only read this, never tried it.

I'm looking forward to online renewal, so I don't have to send in the old one, when renewing, just in case I ever needed to test the 6 month rule.

Back
Top Bottom