May not go out to eat —— ever

Based on today's traffic, and I was in it half the day, it's like nothing has changed around here. Costco parking lot was full by 10:00 am. Traffic jam on 1488 in the late afternoon.

The only thing missing is the school buses.
As I expected... The DW and I drove thru the area a few weeks ago (not by choice) and she commented that it didn't look like anything had change.

As I expected... The DW and I drove thru the area a few weeks ago (not by choice) and she commented that it didn't look like anything had change.

Since we live on 242 next to the college, the only thing that seems different is that the three large hospitals at I-45/242 have pretty empty parking lots. I can see them from the north heading overpass onto 242 going west.

My DW had three doctor appointments between last week and this and the doctor offices parking lots are also 1/2 empty, when pre-covid they were always full.

Restaurants here are still closed but open for take out. We've been thinking about doing take out since that has been going on for awhile and doesn't seem problematic. The fatality rate locally is very low and half of those are from higher risk, close quarters type places like nursing home and food processing plants.

We love eating out, mostly lunch or breakfast, and have continued to do so in recent weeks at places that do carry out. Going to the coast this morning for a walk along the beach and carry out fish and chips for lunch. It won’t be until next month before sit-in cafes and restaurants are open again.

Based on today's traffic, and I was in it half the day, it's like nothing has changed around here. Costco parking lot was full by 10:00 am. Traffic jam on 1488 in the late afternoon.

The only things missing are the school buses. But it is June and they woud be gone anyway.

Fond memories of when we used to live in The Woodlands. :) We used to regularly ride our bikes on a Saturday or Sunday morning to eat breakfast somewhere, so it is good to hear that the eating places have opened back up.

We don't eat out a lot, except for travelling of course. We have been getting take out once a week since the lockdown which DW loves. After there is a vaccine I expect we will do anything we want to.

We used to eat out a few times a month. Several weeks ago, Florida opened up restaurants to 50% capacity.

So DW and I made a lunch date to an open air patio seating on the water. Food was ok but the view was good. Waitstaff all wore masks. Wiped down the seating with Chlorox. Over tipped deliberately.

Four days later, DW and I are both sick with a mild fever, systemic inflammation and sore throats. No congestion, but my blood pressure went up 15 points. We were feeling better 5 days later and no temperature after 4 days.

So, we got this at the same time - probably sprayed with some virus from the waitress since we were not simultaneously nearby anyone else for weeks.

Definitely not covid, but made us pause in thinking about how easy it is to get sick with unnecessary travel.

Sigh

I’m a bit more leery of restaurants nowadays due to the number of meat processing plants which had to be closed due to Covid-19. Although we have dined out a few times, I’m a little more apprehensive regarding my ordering. Hence, I’m staying with salads more as opposed to cooked meat.

We love to eat out and look forward to doing it again someday, certainly not in the near future. Our 40th anniversary is tomorrow. We have gone from planning and then cancelling an anniversary trip to Quebec City, to take out from a local Italian eatery, that we enjoy. We have a zoom happy hour planned with friends too to crack the champagne with.

Last edited:
Plan to do both, love cooking at home and love eating out.

+1.

We spent a couple days in Helen, GA recently. Dined at restaurants for lunch and dinner. Did take away for breakfast. I am mindful of the low probability of infection, the very low probability of death, as well as the safety precautions taken by food joints. I perceive that the drive up and back, and the side trips to local wineries, placed us in greater peril the the damn virus.

Fish and chips sitting on the pier at Saltburn today :dance:

Various places serving take-away breakfast at 9am so we will be back there in the morning. Feels great to be able to do this again, and with public toilets open as well we'll be able to do some our favorite cliff top walks between seaside towns.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    618.5 KB · Views: 67
Eating out is more than just about the food. We are eating out regularly and will continue to do so.

absolutely. My adult sons take me out once a month, it's a social event with food. no way would I give that up.

Next, the eat out get together's with the gal pals.

and if anything I'm sick of cooking. maybe it's because my repertoire is not extensive to begin with but it got old real quick.

We eat out twice a week. We really missed it. We have eaten outside and inside. No one requires customers to wear masks. No restaurants have closed because of the virus and our infection rate is low. It’s one of our main pleasures.

Appreciate the great weather we've had in the Midwest. Our downtown, full of bars, shops and restaurants opened up. They closed the street to cars and the restaurants filled the streets with tables. :)

I’m a bit more leery of restaurants nowadays due to the number of meat processing plants which had to be closed due to Covid-19. Although we have dined out a few times, I’m a little more apprehensive regarding my ordering. Hence, I’m staying with salads more as opposed to cooked meat.

I may have missed some detail but, have you seen anything, anywhere to indicate the virus can go from a human to a piece of meat that is processed, packaged, shipped to another location and then cooked?

Because just a few seconds of goggling will tell you that produce picking employees have suffered outbreaks of COVID...so produce might be just as bad as meat with this way of thinking.

I worry that COVID-19 restrictions will simply kill off live theater. Patrons tend to be old; many will be afraid to return even with whatever "social distancing" precautions may be imposed.

We love live shows so much that we had been blowing dough by flying to Washington, D.C. every couple of months to see the Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center. Stayed overnight at the Watergate and walked to the KC, walked back and go to bed. Flew home the next day.

Very disappointed when our May trip to see "Porgy and Bess" (a favorite) was canceled.

I love the opera. For many years, the young wife and I had a subscription to the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. On seven Thursdays over the course of the season (about once a month), she would come on the Metro-North train into the City after work and meet me at my midtown office. We would have dinner at a nice restaurant, go to the Lincoln Center for the opera and then stay at one of the midtown hotels (our favorite was the Algonquin). In the morning, I would walk with her over to Grand Central, from whence she would reverse commute back out to Connecticut to go to work. Then I'd go back to my office. We saw many of the most famous operas and singers. Such great memories! I have to tell you, Robbie, it was also blowing the dough mightily.

Once this CV thing is over and done with I will visit restaurants again for the same reasons I have visited restaurants in the past

1. Socialize with others
2. Away from home with no descent cooking options available
3. To enjoy a dish that I would not make at home.

*mod note* I think the OP meant this as a non-covid topic, more generally about the winding down of the appeal of dining out once retired, so if we stick to that the thread stays in "Life after fire", for now...*

I have always loved eating out. One of my favorite parts of going on vacation anywhere is trying new places for nice dinners out.

I do like to cook at home too, but not a fan of the planning and shopping always, trying to come up with new things, etc.

If it weren't for the extra cost and calories I'd eat out far more often than I do, and I don't see that desire changing any time soon.

*mod note* I think the OP meant this as a non-covid topic, more generally about the winding down of the appeal of dining out once retired, so if we stick to that the thread stays in "Life after fire", for now...*

I have always loved eating out. One of my favorite parts of going on vacation anywhere is trying new places for nice dinners out.

I do like to cook at home too, but not a fan of the planning and shopping always, trying to come up with new things, etc.

If it weren't for the extra cost and calories I'd eat out far more often than I do, and I don't see that desire changing any time soon.

That darn COVID seems to creep into everything.

In our case we almost never go out to eat as a twosome. So would continue to eat out when socializing with friends and family. No change basically.

I don't understand. Cooking food above 160 degrees is a great way to eradicate the corona virus as well as many other pathogens. If anything I would be eating more cooked foods and less raw food.

+1

Are you afraid of catching COVID-19 from cooked meat?

I use to eat out a lot-- 3 or 4 times a week, often with a group of people. Now I am not eating out at all and don't plan to for the foreseeable future. We are doing some take out. My favorite restaurant is closed, not sure if they will ever open up again. DH and I are enjoying eating at home, less hassle, less cost, and over all better food.

I am in a dinner group with around 20 people--we use to eat out every Friday at different restaurants. Now we are doing a Zoom virtual cocktail hour on Fridays instead.
At the last Zoom no one in our group had been out to eat inside a restaurant since March and no one planned to do so. All of us are 65 plus and all of us know numerous people who have had Covid so eating out has lost its attraction for all of us.

Both me and my partner are decent cooks and none of the restaurants in our town are really stellar, so generally we went out to eat either to socialize or because we didn't feel like cooking after a busy day. We'll eventually go out again, especially for the social aspect, but not yet.

I love travelling and trying different foods in different locations and we'll eventually do that as well.

I’m not really worried about the virus in restaurants but since they closed we’ve had some fantastic meals. We grilled these little lamb steaks from Costco, added asparagus, potato, and bread to make a mouthwatering meal with beers for about $12
No waiter, reservations, (DUI), no parking, huge bill, and everything was cooked how we like it.
Maybe just getting old

Given the times were in and his/her OP, I’m not sure that’s clear. I suspect Mods are more much more conscious of subforums. But OK.
Arizona1 said:
We both like to cook and found out in the last three months the virus has been around that we don’t really care to go out to eat anymore.

Back
Top Bottom