Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worry that COVID-19 restrictions will simply kill off live theater. Patrons tend to be old; many will be afraid to return even with whatever "social distancing" precautions may be imposed.

We love live shows so much that we had been blowing dough by flying to Washington, D.C. every couple of months to see the Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center. Stayed overnight at the Watergate and walked to the KC, walked back and go to bed. Flew home the next day.

Very disappointed when our May trip to see "Porgy and Bess" (a favorite) was canceled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I love the opera. For many years, the young wife and I had a subscription to the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. On seven Thursdays over the course of the season (about once a month), she would come on the Metro-North train into the City after work and meet me at my midtown office. We would have dinner at a nice restaurant, go to the Lincoln Center for the opera and then stay at one of the midtown hotels (our favorite was the Algonquin). In the morning, I would walk with her over to Grand Central, from whence she would reverse commute back out to Connecticut to go to work. Then I'd go back to my office. We saw many of the most famous operas and singers. Such great memories! I have to tell you, Robbie, it was also blowing the dough mightily.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Once this CV thing is over and done with I will visit restaurants again for the same reasons I have visited restaurants in the past

1. Socialize with others
2. Away from home with no descent cooking options available
3. To enjoy a dish that I would not make at home.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #43

*mod note* I think the OP meant this as a non-covid topic, more generally about the winding down of the appeal of dining out once retired, so if we stick to that the thread stays in "Life after fire", for now...*

I have always loved eating out. One of my favorite parts of going on vacation anywhere is trying new places for nice dinners out.

I do like to cook at home too, but not a fan of the planning and shopping always, trying to come up with new things, etc.

If it weren't for the extra cost and calories I'd eat out far more often than I do, and I don't see that desire changing any time soon.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
*mod note* I think the OP meant this as a non-covid topic, more generally about the winding down of the appeal of dining out once retired, so if we stick to that the thread stays in "Life after fire", for now...*

I have always loved eating out. One of my favorite parts of going on vacation anywhere is trying new places for nice dinners out.

I do like to cook at home too, but not a fan of the planning and shopping always, trying to come up with new things, etc.

If it weren't for the extra cost and calories I'd eat out far more often than I do, and I don't see that desire changing any time soon.
That darn COVID seems to creep into everything.

In our case we almost never go out to eat as a twosome. So would continue to eat out when socializing with friends and family. No change basically.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't understand. Cooking food above 160 degrees is a great way to eradicate the corona virus as well as many other pathogens. If anything I would be eating more cooked foods and less raw food.
+1
Old 06-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
Im a bit more leery of restaurants nowadays due to the number of meat processing plants which had to be closed due to Covid-19. Although we have dined out a few times, Im a little more apprehensive regarding my ordering. Hence, Im staying with salads more as opposed to cooked meat.
Are you afraid of catching COVID-19 from cooked meat?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use to eat out a lot-- 3 or 4 times a week, often with a group of people. Now I am not eating out at all and don't plan to for the foreseeable future. We are doing some take out. My favorite restaurant is closed, not sure if they will ever open up again. DH and I are enjoying eating at home, less hassle, less cost, and over all better food.

I am in a dinner group with around 20 people--we use to eat out every Friday at different restaurants. Now we are doing a Zoom virtual cocktail hour on Fridays instead.
At the last Zoom no one in our group had been out to eat inside a restaurant since March and no one planned to do so. All of us are 65 plus and all of us know numerous people who have had Covid so eating out has lost its attraction for all of us.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Both me and my partner are decent cooks and none of the restaurants in our town are really stellar, so generally we went out to eat either to socialize or because we didn't feel like cooking after a busy day. We'll eventually go out again, especially for the social aspect, but not yet.

I love travelling and trying different foods in different locations and we'll eventually do that as well.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Im not really worried about the virus in restaurants but since they closed weve had some fantastic meals. We grilled these little lamb steaks from Costco, added asparagus, potato, and bread to make a mouthwatering meal with beers for about $12
No waiter, reservations, (DUI), no parking, huge bill, and everything was cooked how we like it.
Maybe just getting old
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Given the times were in and his/her OP, I’m not sure that’s clear. I suspect Mods are more much more conscious of subforums. But OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1
We both like to cook and found out in the last three months the virus has been around that we don’t really care to go out to eat anymore.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #51

We eat out at "fancier" restaurants maybe 1-2 times a month, and quick restaurants (tacos, burgers, etc) at least once a week.
But, we have not missed being inside/sit down, and have been doing curb side take out. We think that is the way we will continue.
We have actually discovered that take out meals seem to have more food than what is presented on a plate inside!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Article in the Star Trib today about multiple restaurants closing for takeout due to COVID outbreaks in their staff. What happens when the eat in dining starts? Any thoughts on this from those of you that eat out often?
Well, we have had a lot of restaurants open for IN PERSON dining for a couple of weeks (we went out about a week ago) and there hasn't been any uptick in cases/hospitalizations/deaths so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I went out to a local diner two days ago. Every other table had an 'X' on it which meant no one could sit there. Staff had masks, patrons did not need to have masks. I didn't feel unsafe at any time. No problems.
Our experience was similar but they put bottles of sanitizer on the unused tables. They also gave you a "club" type wrist band after being screened out front (questions and scanned temperatures). They were doing reservations only and service was outstanding.

I am with others. We enjoyed eating out for a multitude of reasons and will continue to do so.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

We last ate out in mid March. I don't have the desire to eat out now, but that could change. I'm not an aficionado of fine cuisine - I'm currently happy with take out and whatever we can make at home.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher terry View Post
definitely not. Eating out is one of our favorite things to do.
+1 🙂
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #55
gone traveling

First meal out today, since mid march.

They totally ignored the restrictive big brother mandates of call ahead register with an app to track, etc. Walked up no mask. taken to our table, ordered got food tipped big and left.

Another restaurant was completely closed with a sign saying they couldn't meet the restrictions and were closed until they were lifted. I really feel for the 7-10 people who lost their income possibly forever. You never realize the impact a 12 table diner has on the economy until it is gone.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #56

When we were working, we went out for lunch and dinner on the weekends for those times we weren't grilling outdoors, the latter of which usually happened at least a couple times a month during the good weather months. We haven't bought a grill since moving into our new Texas home a year ago. Definite failure on our part.

Now retired, we go out occasionally during the weekdays (*cough* Taco Tuesday *cough*, Friday dinner), but we also have lunch at home on Sunday or a weekend dinner at home when our DD visits. Most of our meals during the weekdays are at home primarily to avoid the business lunch-time crowds and the evening commuters. Had enough of that while we were working.

So, I think we eat out a bit more now that we're retired than we did when we were working, but not a lot more. Unlike a lot of people we see these days eating out who individually are parked on their smartphones, DW and I have a conversation while eating out. Not sure why that would be different than doing that at home, but it is.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
+1 ��
-1 here
I've not initiated going out to eat since the 80s. When working back then my crew liked it on weekends. We all split the bill.
I've known numerous restaurant entrepreneurs. One picked up their fry-cooks dropped cheese slices off the floor for the cheeseburgers after running out of cheese, placed it on the burgers, and promptly served 'em up!
This was a McDonalds!

With most buyers it's all a matter of convince. Some will pay for bottled water, ..I will not.
I recall produce shopping in the Mediterranean in the 70s.
The only people going out to eat were, as I was informed, "Wealthy people on vacation".

Good luck & best wishes.

P.S. gwraigty:
I've no doubt mandates, policies, and guidelines have changed.
This was 70'ish, with Mcdees incredible growth.
Over 60% of employees were related somehow also.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
I've known numerous restaurant entrepreneurs. One picked up their fry-cooks dropped cheese slices off the floor for the cheeseburgers after running out of cheese, placed it on the burgers, and promptly served 'em up!
This was a McDonalds!
As a counterpoint, I've worked in 4 different restaurant kitchens. The one I worked in the longest was McDonald's, about 5 years. One would have to be a pretty awful cook to drop cheese slices on the floor regularly and be too lazy to walk a few feet and get more cheese out of the pantry. At no time, in any restaurant kitchen I worked in, did we ever do anything with food that hit the floor except pick it up and put it in the garbage. Sure, there are bad apples everywhere, but I'd hope they don't infect the whole orchard. The only kitchen I work in now is my own.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't imagine NOT being able to go eat out again. We love to cook and we do enjoy entertaining/grilling at home with friends. But we also are big on international travel and trying all the different foods that this world has to offer, is part of that enjoyment. So nope, we don't plan to give it up.

Also, this virus hasn't really changed our mentality about dining out or travel. We plan to do both extensively in retirement. If anything, it just made us think about how we never bat an eye about anything and we have probably been exposed to way worse over the years of travel around the world. Food poisoning is prob the worst thing either one of us have experienced.

Not that we are downplaying COVID one bit and we don't wish that on anyone. But we won't be living in a bubble to avoid it.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #60

At least in the near future, as restaurants reopen I think you can be assured that extra-extra precautions are going to be taken. If you've enjoyed places you been to previously, then certainly continue going to them.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote