May not go out to eat —— ever

The sous vide is bubbling away at 137 degrees with some lamb chops. They were vacuum-sealed with fresh rosemary from our garden and plenty of sliced garlic. The searzall is standing by with a fresh can of gas for the quick sear. We'll roast some asparagus after tossing in olive oil and kosher salt. And a small Caesar salad with freshly-shaved Parmesan cheese. Pinot Noir for sure.

Cooking never gets old around here. It's one of my daily creative outlets. Eating is just a bonus.

I view cooking as an art form like painting, sculpture, or music. The big difference is that I get to eat the final results.

Cheers!

We have a new dishwasher. :D

Cheers!

Once or twice a week, I'll opt for quality disposable dishes & flatware. After the meal everything goes in either the recycle or trash bin. Yeah, I know it's an ecological horror, but, as Walter Cronkite used the say, "That's the way it is."

I haven't eaten out since early March. But have some friends I'm meeting in Orange Beach in a week so I know we will eat out there. And I'm fine with it as there will be plenty of places we can sit outside. I not sure when I will eat out again in my hometown of MS as my county is one of the top 3 hotspots within the state.

We live in a really small town and restaurant choice is very limited. We mostly cook at home when we are at home. I have girl lunches out with my friends, and we love eating out in nearby larger towns and when we go on vacation. I had the best burger I can remember eating a few days ago in a small town in Utah. And cheese curds- a first for me. Neither covid nor retirement will change our restaurant habits.

Care to share the burger place...our favorite Utah burger place is Oscar's in Springdale UT, it might be the scenery that makes it so tasty...

We had a 1/2 hour wait for a table at Saltgrass Steakhouse last night at 7:30 PM. We didn't even try to get into Pappasito's next door as the parking lot was full.

We had great steaks and the service was exceptional. :cool:

I view cooking as an art form like painting, sculpture, or music. The big difference is that I get to eat the final results.

Cheers!

Making art and destroying it is so very Zen. But, I am not sure eating it is what the Master had in mind. :D

I cannot see the point in eating out.
I literally ate grill cheese melts*(w/caned albacore) or tomato's exclusively for about an odd decade through out higher ed. Everyday, nothing else except fruit or salad.

A good friend, now 86, has been eating 1 sandwich daily for Bfast for an odd 65yrs.
Consisting of two slices of whole-wheat toast, one banana sliced lengthwise to fit in a sandwich, both toast slices w/1 side covered in PB, and bran sprinkled through out, for an odd 65yrs. He still does, he also moves like he's 20yrs old, constrained diet, no meds, 160lbs since the service@18.

Candidly I think todays "foodies" are a sham.scam.nonsense, or just another PC excuse for current lifestyles.

Good luck & Best wishes!

Last edited:
We had take out Chinese again today because we couldn't eat there.

First sit down restaurant meal since March. We sat on the outdoor patio. Since then, we’ve done a good amount of take out, mostly using doordash.

It’s nice to go out again for a meal. I’ll avoid indoor seating for now, but I’m more than happy to enjoy a meal outside.

I worry that COVID-19 restrictions will simply kill off live theater. Patrons tend to be old; many will be afraid to return even with whatever "social distancing" precautions may be imposed.

We love live shows so much that we had been blowing dough by flying to Washington, D.C. every couple of months to see the Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center. Stayed overnight at the Watergate and walked to the KC, walked back and go to bed. Flew home the next day.

Very disappointed when our May trip to see "Porgy and Bess" (a favorite) was canceled.

What a great idea, I've never thought of that. Once I flew to San Fran for lunch. Flight was free, motorcycle parking was free at airport, just paid for lunch and the subway ride to China town. I was back home by dinner time.

Today is takeout pizza.
We dined in. I ordered a grilled chicken pita and he ordered the low calorie version of the same thing. Yes I feel guilty about not getting the low cal version. LOL

Five tables had customers, which is about 1/3 of the tables. They can only have enough customers to make up 50% of capacity. The other four tables were all white haired seniors like us, except a couple of teens at one of the tables.

Outside, there was one solitary man eating at one of the outside tables in the parking lot, in 94F heat with our legendary humidity. He was very, very old, thin, and feeble looking. We wondered how/if he could ever walk ten feet to get to his car, and if he was suffering in the heat or used to it. :(

We have been dining in also and our restaurants can be at half capacity. 7 locally aren’t reopening but none that we go to.

The Big Fish family restaurant in Panguitch UT.

Panguitch they have a wonderful authentic little Barb Q place there as well. They smoked the meat out back... it's a cute little town..

For counties that only allow patio dining, what are you supposed to do if you want to go to the bathroom during your visit? Go home?

In a beach town outside of Jacksonville 3 restaurants/bars had to close this week because of viral contamination. Many customers have been exposed but by now have been the source of infection to (how many?) others.
They are going to sanitize, have their employees tested, and then reopen.

Rinse and Repeat

Cheers!

Today I went to a restaurant supply store and got some pre-made freezer items I don't normally buy, like mushroom ravioli and potstickers. Our last take out order was $30 and not very good, so I decided for $30 I could buy several meals of pre-made foods that require minimal at home preparation, for a change of pace and less virus exposure.

We’ve done dine in outdoors once and indoors twice so far. We also have a reservation for Wed, our first at an upscale restaurant since Covid-19 struck. However, the places we’ve gone are visibly taking precautions seriously, we won’t dine in at any restaurant where half measures or less or apparent.

In a beach town outside of Jacksonville 3 restaurants/bars had to close this week because of viral contamination. Many customers have been exposed but by now have been the source of infection to (how many?) others.
They are going to sanitize, have their employees tested, and then reopen.

Rinse and Repeat

Cheers!
Do you mean they had COVID-19 positive employees a d thus had to sanitize? How else would they discover that their restaurant had been “contaminated”?

I am extremely fortunate that the young wife loves to cook and is very, very good at it.* She is the sort of person who reads cookbooks for enjoyment and is willing to try anything. Coupled with the fact that we have an extremely large kitchen, all the kitchen tools you can imagine, our own garden for produce, and a well stocked wine cellar, that means we eat and drink quite well at home.

When we were working, we would go out to dinner mostly for convenience. There are only one or two restaurants around here that can produce a meal as good as we eat at home. After we retired last year, we downshifted our dining out a little and mostly switched to a lunch or two on a weekday, which we would combine with a short trip to shop or see a museum or something like that. It got us out of the house and was enjoyable, but it has not been much of a sacrifice to give that up. It seems unlikely that we will go back to regular dining out anytime soon.

* Although she does not clean up. That is my exclusive realm. I believe that I have proven to be quite a satisfactory scullery maid over the years.

Do you mean they had COVID-19 positive employees a d thus had to sanitize? How else would they discover that their restaurant had been “contaminated”?
In all cases several customers at each restaurant reported they tested positive after visiting the restaurant. Once becoming aware of the contamination the owners closed their doors and started to sanitize. They also said they wanted their employees to get tested. Did not say it was required in order to work at the restaurant.

Cheers!

In all cases several customers at each restaurant reported they tested positive after visiting the restaurant. Once becoming aware of the contamination the owners closed their doors and started to sanitize. They also said they wanted their employees to get tested. Did not say it was required in order to work at the restaurant.

Cheers!

So tricky people comfortable visiting restaurants might very well be out and about doing other things in public...

Back
Top Bottom