Monthly Grocery Expenditure

stevenr

Dryer sheet aficionado
I am curious what people on this site spend on groceries (food/beverages) each month. Our household of 2 spends approximately $540/month excluding household stuff like laundry detergent, paper products etc. I don't have a set budget, but I get the staples and the occasional splurgy item.

Also, when this topic comes up among friends and family, I find that the male partner is the one who typically does the shopping. I love to shop; my wife not so much!

How about you?

Our monthly budget has $1000 for grocery shopping (includes cleaning supplies, paper products, everything) and $400 for dining out. This has stayed pretty consistent for a few years. Some months more (Costco runs), some less. But the overall average is a total of $1400. I don't separate out food from other stuff.
I usually shop, DH will either stay in the car or come in and be my cart pusher and bag hauler :). Budget does better if he does not shop, he doesn't pay attention to the grocery list and comes home with lots more than needed!
House hold of two, but kids/grandkids frequently over for lunch/dinner on weekends.

I can guess since I really don't track this stuff or break out household items that we buy at the same time we grocery shop. If I just count groceries it's probably at least $500 a month for the two of us. BUT, we eat out a lot. If I added the cost of eating out too it's probably closer to $800 (or more).

Last edited:
We don't directly budget for anything but $1000 a month for groceries is about right. That includes paper goods, laundry detergent, etc. I'd say that probably includes dining out as well, since we usually only dine out about once a week and it is around $30 to $40 (this town doesn't have a lot of dining options lol).

A typical thing might be to make what we call pasta pronto, which uses 2 pounds of medium/large frozen shrimp, a polska kielbasa sausage, a cauli flower head, a few broccoli crowns, small bag of carrots, small container of mushrooms, container of shredded parm cheese, pint of heavy whipping cream, and a box of medium size pasta shells. This makes enough to feed about 10 people, but we usually eat it in 3 meals for the two of us. Oh, and we usually buy a box of the frozen garlic bread slices (I think it is eight in there?) and have one of those each with each meal.

So you figure that is about $30 to $35 worth of stuff and makes 3 big meals for two people. That would be pretty typical. With breakfast being about $5 and we usually only eat breakfast and then this late mid day big meal, plus maybe a yogurt. There are always a lot of little things that find their way into the cart that I count as groceries, like dish soap, spatulas, measuring cups, paper bowls, sugar, cooking oil, bottled water...

In 2023, I averaged $136/month for groceries, and $380/month for take-out food, total of $516/month.

I don't actually cook any more so this covers all of my food costs along with other items like paper plates, dish soap, paper towels, and so on. $0.00/month on alcohol or cigarettes since we don't drink or smoke. We don't eat fast food or junk food.

I'm not especially thrifty about food; New Orleans is full of delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive food options.

Average over the past 4 years we have spent $335 total per month for 2 people.

Does not include takeout/restaurants which is (avg over past 4 years): $113/mo

We have no budget, I just spend and record what was spent.

This includes paper, cleaning supplies, etc.. but not booze.

I do grocery shopping, maybe as a male it's my hunting nature ;)

Last edited:
For 2023, for one person, I averaged $373.94 per month on groceries and household supplies (paper products, cat litter, soap, etc.).

Additionally, I spent on average $175.20 per month eating out at restaurants.

That excludes meals while traveling.

Not that I keep track. And, I don't budget.

I keep a Spreadsheet. We buy everything including all household supplies except for wine from grocery stores and Costco.

Wine is separate and can vary depending on our taste for the month.

In 2023 we spent an average of $511.93 per month for 2 people on Food & Supplies. We spend an average of $130.49 a month for wine.

This year (2024) we are averaging under $450 a month for food and supplies and $80 a month for Wine.

Newish widower here.........I'm guessing about $400/month including paper products and cleaning stuff. I eat out about 4 times per week with friends and family. Breakfast at Whataburger with the ROMEO's and dinner with daughter and husband on occasion. No alcohol here these days.

I use paper plates at home and eat a lot of apples, nuts and salads. I haven't used the dishwasher since September 2023 when I moved into this new home. I'm not even sure it works.:confused:

Once in a while I smoke a Prime brisket and have friends over to devour it. :D

I don't spreadsheet anything these days.

Last edited:
About $200/mo for groceries for one person, and that includes paper products, cleaning supplies, detergent, etc. Maybe another $20 /mo eating out or drive-thru.

Last edited:
No real budget/tracking but guessing $400-$500 per month (for one person) plus maybe $250 a month dining out.

You don’t want to know. We don’t eat out at all unless traveling and prepare all our meals from scratch at home. We eat like kings at home - high quality great food is something we happily splurge on. In other words we don’t try to save money on groceries.

I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. We lunch out everyday, averaging $60 per day, so $1800 a month on eating out. Grocery (food only) is something like $200 for a month.

Newish widower here.........I'm guessing about $400/month including paper products and cleaning stuff. I eat out about 4 times per week with friends and family. Breakfast at Whataburger with the ROMEO's and dinner with daughter and husband on occasion. No alcohol here these days.

I use paper plates at home and eat a lot of apples, nuts and salads. I haven't used the dishwasher since September [-]2022[/-] 2023 when I moved into this new home. I'm not even sure it works.:confused:

Once in a while I smoke a Prime brisket and have friends over to devour it. :D

I don't spreadsheet anything these days.
Fixed it for you. Time goes by fast enough without helping it. :)

Last edited:
2023 For 2: 333 per month for food at home, 30 for restaurants (mostly DW eating out with friends, we seldom eat out except when traveling), 30 for liquor, and 50 for misc stuff like paper towels and other cleaning supplies. Food while traveling was almost $2,700 last year, 3 trips to Europe plus one to New England.

I use paper plates at home and eat a lot of apples, nuts and salads. I haven't used the dishwasher since September 2022 when I moved into this new home. I'm not even sure it works.:confused:
I have lived in my house for over 20 year, and I never use the dishwasher. I'm not sure if I've ever even turned it on momentarily.

I have lived in my house for over 20 year, and I never use the dishwasher. I'm not sure if I've ever even turned it on momentarily.

At first Frank and I ate alone at our homes. I used to rinse off my dishes, put them in the dishwasher, and then run it on Sunday (since there's only one of me).

9 years ago I bought the house next door to his, and since then we have been eating together at my house. Strangely, Frank seems to actually WANT to do the dishes himself. That completely baffles me. I told him the dishwasher was fine! But instead he washes, dries, and puts away all the dishes after every meal. Usually that's not much since we eat so much take-out and use a lot of paper plates, but still. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. :duh:

approximately $600/month for two of us in groceries. Our diet includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Eat out occasionally maybe $100-$200 a month at most.

Family of 2 - if it is bought at a grocery store it's categorized as groceries in Quicken. Last year was just shy of $9600 or about $800/mo.

3 adults at home, just over $2,000 per month for food.

I track everything. we're good for $600 per month for what I call "housewares," which includes soaps, paper products, essentially things we use up but not food related.

Booze and cigars are another $200 per month.

2 adults, 2 small dogs: totals for all grocery products-

2024:
JAN = $1,085
FEB = $1,402 -on inflationary pace for $15K in 2024

2023: $914/mo
2022: $879/mo
2021: $874/mo

Very high compared to other posters (aware high for a long time)-
Main contributor: DW's focus on "Healthy/Organic" food and other products -expensive!
We don't eat much, don't buy exotic food/premium steaks, and primarily shop Aldi's/Costco along with some other grocery stores.

We spent $335 per month for family of 2 in 2023 for all grocery products.

Beer, wine and eating out are not included.

Averaged $1083 per month in 2023 for groceries for the two of us--that is, food and beverage items only, with some wine (we're $7 bottle people) and beer. Does not include groceries we bought while traveling and staying in Airbnbs, but that was minimal. Of course does not include dining out, as you specified "groceries," but we rarely dine out anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom