My next adventure...need ideas for FL

I've driven through Flagler Beach and Ormond by the Sea, but haven't stopped in either, let alone stayed in either.

However, I have spent time in Ormond Beach and have cruised all over town. Anything on A1A isn't going to be "off the beaten path" as that is the main "scenic" thoroughfare along the ocean, and the main highway "beachside". It's a two-lane highway through Flagler, and turns into four-lane in or near Ormond by the Sea.....with turn lanes. But compared to St. Augustine and Daytona Beach, A1A in Ormond Beach is actually fairly lightly travel, and there's not hardly any noise from the traffic. Even on the first day of Daytona's BikeWeek 2010, while the sound barrier was being broken in Daytona Beach, it was pretty darn quiet in Ormond Beach...only an occasional noisy bike cruising past. (the bikers start partying several days prior to BikeWeek so Daytona was rumbling and rattling, while OB was peaceful and quiet!)

There are condos of just about every stripe along A1A in OB...most, if not all, are beachside of A1A....residential and commercial businesses make up the majority of the westside of A1A in OB.

We stayed at the Castillo Del Sol Best Western Hotel (205 S. Atlantic Ave. in OB....Atlantic Ave. is A1A). It was very clean, very quiet, very convenient....we had oceanfront, with full kitchen. Everyone of the staff that we met and/or dealt with were GREAT! Very friendly! They have an outdoor parking lot, and an underground parking lot....your choice. The hotel restaurant is only open for breakfast, but puts out very good food all freshly made to order....even the veggies are freshly cut to order for omelets!!! The oceanfront rooms all have nice sized balconies with 2 chairs. They have a nice, large heated swimming pool and LOTS of lounge chairs on the ocean front deck. The only thing that we lacked and missed a little (but not much) was a couch and arm chair. But since we spent so little time IN the room, it wasn't a major factor at all! IIRC, it was about $107/night.

A big plus for us also was the fact that are all sorts of good restaurants within just a few blocks....Thai, Italian, a Steak House, Fridays, Outback, as well as IHOP, Burger King and a bunch of others! For groceries there's Food Lion about a half mile or less away, and a Publix and a Winn-Dixie less than 2 miles away.

I know you're looking primarily at condos, but since I have no "stay" experience with them, I thought I'd throw this one out here..."just in case". I looked at, and pondered condos, but this worked well for our needs and wants.....enough so, that we're planning on staying there from now on!

Thanks, Goonie. :flowers:
What I mean by "off the beaten path" is in a smaller town versus Daytona or New Smyrna. I'll go to these places during the day.
I like the Best Western idea with the full kitchen. Good to see there are plenty of eating options nearby. I will eat out at seafood places during the day, but since I am traveling alone, evening dining solo can be kinda not fun. I usually do takeout or just make myself something simple where I stay.
What would be really cool is to find a small bungalow right on or across A1A from the beach. I'm still looking...:D

You could always do exotic wildlife watching in Cape Coral:

Floridian: Enter the dragons

(Link pulled from my "yet another reason to avoid Florida" files....)

Seriously, though, I hope you have a great trip.
EEEEEEK!
I am definitely not being used to encountering scaled critters of the 6 foot variety.
I do know not to go near any small lakes in FL. Chomp! :LOL:

TY for the good trip wishes. :flowers:

....Good to see there are plenty of eating options nearby. I will eat out at seafood places during the day, but since I am traveling alone, evening dining solo can be kinda not fun. I usually do takeout or just make myself something simple where I stay.

I ordered from Genovese's Italian Cafe and had them deliver to our room. They have two locations that pretty much serve the whole area, and the food arrives HOT. It was very good (and highly rated too). I ordered from their place on Granada Blvd. which was only about a half mile away...but there were times I didn't feel like going out.
What would be really cool is to find a small bungalow right on or across A1A from the beach. I'm still looking...:D

I know there are some down in Daytona Beach Shores across A1A from the beach....but no actual beach view directly from the ones that I saw, due to hotels, condos, or overgrown greenery. But I'm sure there are many bungalows, cottages, or small (and big) houses for short term stays all along A1A.

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I must say that I am enjoying all of the responses on things to do, places to stay and places to eat. It is making me want to plan a trip to FL also. Thanks for starting this thread, enjoy your trip and please let us know where you end up and any links that you can provide us from your trip too.

There is just no place on the planet, or in the Universe for that matter, as special as Florida.

Mexico and Central America generally is interesting, but forget it if you have any sort of trouble legal or health wise. And then there is dealing with the widespread poverty, wild dogs and so on.

All the islands north of Antigua are unreliable for weather in the winter, and when the weather goes in the islands, you are sort of trapped.

The nicer islands in the south chain are either not safe, not english speaking, very expensive, or too rural and quiet. I think Barbados is the best of the lot if you have money.

The desert of the southwest just doesn't do it for me, and California is becoming scary fiscally.

South Florida is the only place on the planet where you have an interesting tropical climate with the security of the American justice system, low cost of living, and tons and tons of things to do for stimulation junkies.

I like going to FLorida for many reasons...
- It's tropical and beautiful and I can afford to go to the ocean or Gulf.
- No passport is required.
- Airline travel is cheap cheap cheap from my neck of the woods.
- I lived there for a summer in 1979 when my Mom relocated but I never had the moolah to really enjoy it. I was too darn busy w*rking and saving up money for college costs.
- I really enjoy meeting local folks and dispelling that "damn NYer" stereotype. :cool: I have an awful lot of fun with the few native Floridians I've met. :D
- It's not anywhere as boring as East Nowhere NY. :greetings10:

East Nowhere NY must be in the lake effect snow zone?

Is it an urban myth, or are there places up in the hills that get 20 foot snowbanks in that area?

One of our fears of using Jetblue out of Syracuse is hitting whiteout in the stretch around Watertown. Is there a point at which the lake freezes over and lake effect snow stops?

Nice thing about the Jetblue flights is that they keep the connection going to Orlando in the off season.

East Nowhere NY must be in the lake effect snow zone?

Is it an urban myth, or are there places up in the hills that get 20 foot snowbanks in that area?

One of our fears of using Jetblue out of Syracuse is hitting whiteout in the stretch around Watertown. Is there a point at which the lake freezes over and lake effect snow stops?

Nice thing about the Jetblue flights is that they keep the connection going to Orlando in the off season.
First off, I have to dispel one of my oddball jokes. "East Nowhere" is a fictional town name. If you've ever heard about living "in the middle of Nowhere", well, I'm just East of that. :LOL:
Seriously though, I live approx 1 hour southeast of Syracuse NY. I am just below the region subject to the infamous Lake Ontario snow bands. Short meteorology lesson: Our lake effect snow is caused by winds predominantly coming from the NW direction, collecting moisture off the unfrozen lake, and dumping FEET of snow on the Tug Hill Plateau.
Yes, snowbanks of 20 feet can easily happen on the Tug Hill Plateau. Places likes Barnes Corners and Redfield have been visited by the Weather Channel roving crews covering extreme weather conditions. :cool:
JetBlue out of Syracuse is the best way to go to FL from the States. I see you are in Ottawa, so do you mean you would depart from Ottawa and connect through Syracuse? :confused: I would think JFK would be a better through connection hub if you can't go directly.
BTW, I've been to your fair city, way back in 2002. I was on a bus trip to see the tulips in May. I decided I would hike back to the Parliament building instead of going to a shopping mall. Such beautiful architecture inside! :D

sure...I was just playing along with the joke : - )

I want to see the Tug Hill Plateau snowbanks at some point. Watertown is 2 hours from here.

My mom went down last month, Syracuse through JFK, but there is always the risk of delays there, and we figure it is simpler just to fly into Orlando and make the 3 hour drive, rather than waiting around JFK for a connection.

Otherwise we try to fly one hop Ottawa to SOMEWHERE in Florida, then drive, to avoid any whiteout risk. Westjet is going direct into Tampa now, which is pretty good for us. Also, the wife is a nervous flyer, and any flying has to be non-stop.

There are some really nice little old towns down your way on the Erie canal. There is some sort of weird historic building called the Mansion I think..built by some long disappeared cult that practised "group marriage??"

I was up on Parliament Hill just this week on business, no big deal, I was the flunky clicking a powerpoint presentation for a VIP...it is one fine looking building indeed...like an old stone Catholic church on steroids...I was thinking to myself that I should be looking for a post-retirement j*b there.

tug hill plateau snowbank

moz-screenshot-19.jpg
snowbank1.jpg

Now you're talkin' SNOW. :LOL:
I avoid the Tug Hill area in the winter at all costs. :nonono:
I used to sail out of Sacketts Harbor years ago. I drive up there in nice weather to go see the lake. :D
Only about 1 more month and off I go to the Atlantic coast for a quick pre-taste of summer. :greetings10:

I found the group marriage reference:
Oneida Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll never look at Oneida silverware in the same way again. :cool:

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I must say that I am enjoying all of the responses on things to do, places to stay and places to eat. It is making me want to plan a trip to FL also. Thanks for starting this thread, enjoy your trip and please let us know where you end up and any links that you can provide us from your trip too.
Ok, I waited until after Easter for the prices to drop.
I had my sights set on the Ormond Beach area, just north of Daytona Beach. The condo rental prices were beyond my budget, so I decided to look at standard hotels with kitchettes (per Goonie's sugggestion).
I am flying JetBlue, so I went to their site to see what package deals were available. I had about 20 choices, and then I saw it! :cool:
A hotel a bit closer to Daytona Beach was offering every 3rd night free for stays longer than 5 days. :eek: This offer was good only if flying JetBlue. The savings total for those 5 free nights (15 day stay) was over $600. :clap:
I compared this offer to the hotel's own specials and a few online travel sites. No comparison. :nonono:
I scored a direct beachfront balconied room with kitchenette for an average cost of $87 per night, including all taxes and fees. Free parking, free continental breakfast, free local calls, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, yadda yadda. It is located equidistant between St Augustine and the Kennedy Space Center, 2 of my many planned day adventure destinations.
I also got a compact car from Hertz for essentially $20 per day, unlimited mileage, for 2 weeks at their weekly rate, plus 1 day.

T minus 14 days until I go to my favorite playground. :D

and then I saw it!

A hotel a bit closer to Daytona Beach was offering every 3rd night free for stays longer than 5 days. This offer was good only if flying JetBlue. The savings total for those 5 free nights (15 day stay) was over $600.
I compared this offer to the hotel's own specials and a few online travel sites. No comparison.

I scored a direct beachfront balconied room with kitchenette for an average cost of $87 per night, including all taxes and fees. Free parking, free continental breakfast, fee local calls, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, yadda yadda. It is located equidistant between St Augustine and the Kennedy Space Center, 2 of my many planned day adventure destinations.

I also got a compact car from Hertz for essentially $20 per day, unlimited mileage, for 2 weeks at their weekly rate, plus 1 day

Thumbs Up.gif

If any of you folks want me to make a list of the FUN and "Inner Child" things I plan to do in FL, just say so and I will take the time to provide the links here. :D

If any of you folks want me to make a list of the FUN and "Inner Child" things I plan to do in FL, just say so and I will take the time to provide the links here. :D

Oh yeah, a favorite photo of myself was from a trip to FL. I was riding some sort of playground bouncy cutsy plastic animal, and was way too big for it. I believe that was my second childhood; now that I'm in my fourth, I'm less inclined to do that; try it Freeebird, while you're still young. Carpe diem.

We are trading places ! While you enjoy Florida I will be in upstate New York visiting my daughter ,SIL and grandson . You are going to love St. Augustine . Take the trolley for a tour around town .

We are trading places ! While you enjoy Florida I will be in upstate New York visiting my daughter ,SIL and grandson . You are going to love St. Augustine . Take the trolley for a tour around town .
Too funny :LOL:
The weather here has been fabulous. It's raining today, but that's par for the course. April showers and all that jazz.
I plan to find a guided walking tour in St Augustine. I'm leery of wandering around by myself in strange cities. I can take care of myself in a pinch, but I'd rather be safe in a group with a narrator. :D

I had my sights set on the Ormond Beach area, just north of Daytona Beach. The condo rental prices were beyond my budget, so I decided to look at standard hotels with kitchettes (per Goonie's sugggestion).
I am flying JetBlue, so I went to their site to see what package deals were available. I had about 20 choices, and then I saw it! :cool:
A hotel a bit closer to Daytona Beach was offering every 3rd night free for stays longer than 5 days. :eek: This offer was good only if flying JetBlue. The savings total for those 5 free nights (15 day stay) was over $600. :clap:
I compared this offer to the hotel's own specials and a few online travel sites. No comparison. :nonono:
I scored a direct beachfront balconied room with kitchenette for an average cost of $87 per night, including all taxes and fees. Free parking, free continental breakfast, free local calls, outdoor and indoor swimming pools, yadda yadda. It is located equidistant between St Augustine and the Kennedy Space Center, 2 of my many planned day adventure destinations.
I also got a compact car from Hertz for essentially $20 per day, unlimited mileage, for 2 weeks at their weekly rate, plus 1 day.

But, but--we were all going surprise you by taking turns to stay with you in the condo!

Sounds like a great deal and location--and the weather should be nice and sunny for walking on the beach and around your excursions. We want a full report on your return!

But, but--we were all going surprise you by taking turns to stay with you in the condo!

Sounds like a great deal and location--and the weather should be nice and sunny for walking on the beach and around your excursions. We want a full report on your return!
Now THAT would be fun - create our own Spring Break hotel party! :LOL:

If my tax return was higher, I would have gone for the condo treatment again. But I made a deal with myself to stay within budget on lodging so I have more mad money.:clap:
So far...here's the plan...Kite flying, sandcastle building, beach strolling, lounging by both hotel pools, Marine Discovery Center narrated boat ride of Intercoastal Waterway, walking tour of St Augustine, Kennedy Space Center, Canaveral National Seashore visit, chocolate factory tour :smitten:, maybe a sheltered waters kayak adventure if my hands feel good enough...whew! :D

Just planned a week to Siesta Key FL. but that is on the west coast of FL fronting the Gulf of Mexico. Voted consistently in top US beaches. Powder white soft sand is the main attraction.

Flying into Tampa and driving an hour to Siesta Key. The 2br 2 ba condo cost me 1000 for a week total and it is about a 1 min walk to beach. R/T airfare was 300 per ticket and I bought 5. Car rental $250 total for a week from the Tampa Airport --

I am thinking your going to need about 1600 for a 1br1ba condo on the water for 2 weeks at a good beach in Florida. Add in your airfare and your at the 2k budget limit.

edit ah.... I see u got a standard hotel instead of the condo for $1300 so looks like ur good to go! Have fun!!!

edit ah.... I see u got a standard hotel instead of the condo for $1300 so looks like ur good to go! Have fun!!!
Airfare, non-stop RT (SYR-ORL) $384
15 day beachfront balcony hotel room $1288
15 day rental car $399
Total $2071 :clap:including all tax, fees, etc

Mad money is extra of course. :D
I will not spend much on eating out because the room is an efficiency with kitchenette and there is a free continental breakfast every day. Gas and admission tickets will be biggest expenses.
I also may be eligible for a $100 rebate through a JetBlue travel package promotion. TBD...

You didn't mention free Wi-fi. One of the joys of such a trip is the forum post that says "As I sit on my balcony in FL, looking at the ocean, ... "

Back
Top Bottom