New car safety features:

All the new whiz bang features are nice, but I'm not willing to pay the (considerable IME) premium to have most of them. There was a tech package for the car, but I didn't opt for it, big upcharge.

I have a backup camera on my Prius, but I almost never look at it. Maybe when I get so old I can't turn around and look, backup cameras will hold more appeal.

That said, many of these features are obviously precursors to autonomous (and shared vs owned) cars. We ARE hoping/counting on autonomous cars being perfected before we get so old the state takes away our licenses.

Last edited:
We ARE hoping/counting on autonomous cars being perfected before we get so old the state takes away our licenses.

I'm kind of hoping for that too. There will inevitably come a day when DW or somebody is going to take away my driver's license. Otherwise I'll be relegated to a golf cart.

Our 2013 Honda doesn't have many of the bells 'n whistles, just the backup camera, and we do find that useful.

I think these new features are really cool. I love they are available for people to buy.

I am against the government making anything mandatory that a driver should be able to provide by practicing due diligence in their driving. Mandatory airbags? Great! That's something I can't provide as a driver. Mandatory adaptive cruise control? Not a fan. I can do that myself, and shouldn't be forced to pay for it. IMO most of these devices are to cover for distracted drivers-people that aren't practicing due diligence.

I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.

I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.

The problem with a cell phone jammer is that it would punish the passengers.

Guess I'll keep on buying older vehicles.

I can't stand TPMS or traction control as it is.
Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own. Traction control on the other hand can often be turned off in many vehicles. Look to see if your car has the option to disable it. All mine do, although I rarely turn it off unless I feel like smelling burning rubber.

The problem with a cell phone jammer is that it would punish the passengers.

True-if you want to consider added safety a punishment. Seems a small price to pay when gov't mandate is being considered for far less effective and more expensive safety devices.

True-if you want to consider added safety a punishment. Seems a small price to pay when gov't mandate is being considered for far less effective and more expensive safety devices.

I don't see how denying a passenger cell phone use will improve safety. Also, IMO, we already have too many "small price to pay" rules and restrictions, most of which I don't want or need.

Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own. Traction control on the other hand can often be turned off in many vehicles. Look to see if your car has the option to disable it. All mine do, although I rarely turn it off unless I feel like smelling burning rubber.

I run two sets of wheels and one set doesn't have TPMS sensors (and I'm too FRUGAL to pay for them)

I hate messing with switches. I can't race my car with traction control on.

I don't see how denying a passenger cell phone use will improve safety. Also, IMO, we already have too many "small price to pay" rules and restrictions, most of which I don't want or need.

If the either the passengers driver or the oncoming cars driver can't use their cell, overall passenger safety is increased.

Your second sentence is right in line with my overall point. As I said: I think the best, most economical, and well proven safety device should be considered if the gov't does decide to mandate more safety features: a cellphone jammer.

Not sure why TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) would bother anyone but to each his own.

Because when the spare tire is stashed and difficult to get to, it's damn annoying when the light comes on (at a pressure that is NOT unsafe for the spare) and there is nothing you can do about it quickly.

Because when the spare tire is stashed and difficult to get to, it's damn annoying when the light comes on (at a pressure that is NOT unsafe for the spare) and there is nothing you can do about it quickly.

put electrical tape over the amber light

After being t-boned at an intersection a couple of years ago by an idiot texting while driving I will not have a vehicle without side curtain air bags.

I hate all this electronic babysitting and I'm really glad I only have 23,500 miles so far on my 2009 Venza. Maybe it will be my last car. I call it my "nanny car" because it has too much of this kind of stuff already. I want to drive my car myself. [/crabby_old_lady]

Count me in with you. I am really against all this nanny crap (my nice word for the forum) being forced on cars.

Count me in with you. I am really against all this nanny crap (my nice word for the forum) being forced on cars.

Glad I'm not the only one who is against all that electronic nanny stuff! I miss the way cars used to be in that sense.

Aren't side curtain airbags required?

My 10 year old Civic has them.

I want self-driving features but now I kind of regret not putting $1000 down on the Model 3.

Rather than spend a lot, maybe save up for a self-driving car. Maybe level 4 autonomous cars are 5-10 years away, by the most optimistic estimates.

If the insurance industry reduced premiums for them, it might encourage adoption. Because if they're fully level 4, how would they come up with the actuarial valuations since the driver's driving record isn't involved?

My 2013 Toyota Avalon had the blind spot and cross traffic alerts and I liked those. The Toyota backup cameras always seem to be looking into the sun and are not that handy. My 2015 Toyota Highlander doesn't have the blind spot or cross-traffic features and I miss them. I don't believe that I would care to have the newer safety features, but if they would keep idiots from tailgating and jumping lanes, I'd be all for them!

I will be turning in my company car at the end of next month and have been test driving cars. The Honda Accord has a neat feature that when you turn on your right turn signal the camera in the right side-view mirror is displayed on the screen on the dash and it is very clear. They also have a backup camera that helps you back into a spot without having to look over the high headrests. It seems to "bend" with the position of the car. Really well thought out.

Last edited:
I often wonder, if the US government (or any government for that matter) is so concerned about car safety and saving lives, why do they still allow car manufactures to make and sell high performance cars. (I know $$$$$$) Two of my latest unmodified "production cars" are capable of 0 to 60 times in ~4 secs and top speeds well in excess of 160mph. Heck, one of them even has a "launch control button" specifically designed for improving drag racing times. And of course, I can talk or text on my cell phone at the same time.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one who is against all that electronic nanny stuff! I miss the way cars used to be in that sense.

I used to be that way, didn't want power windows as just another thing to break.
However, as I drive on the freeway I'm in a van and can easily see into cars that pass me as I'm drive 75-80 mph, and no kidding many of the drivers of those passing cars are texting with their phone. :facepalm:

Now if they could crash and only wreck their own car and life, I'd be fine with it, but no, they will likely crash into another car that slows down or stops (don't you hate stopping on the freeway:mad: ) . Or they will drift over lanes and give you a little nudge.

So mandated safety features are cheap because every car has them and they cannot be sold as an upgrade.
These things will make the roads safer from the texting nuts.

I used to be that way, didn't want power windows as just another thing to break.
However, as I drive on the freeway I'm in a van and can easily see into cars that pass me as I'm drive 75-80 mph, and no kidding many of the drivers of those passing cars are texting with their phone. :facepalm:

Now if they could crash and only wreck their own car and life, I'd be fine with it, but no, they will likely crash into another car that slows down or stops (don't you hate stopping on the freeway:mad: ) . Or they will drift over lanes and give you a little nudge.

So mandated safety features are cheap because every car has them and they cannot be sold as an upgrade.
These things will make the roads safer from the texting nuts.

And that's exactly why I believe that if we must mandate new safety devices, the very first should be a cellphone jammer. Cheap, existing technology, proven effectiveness.

Why compensate with unproven and expensive technology, when a proven solution already exists?

Last edited:
And what happens if a driver has to make an emergency call?

Back
Top Bottom