New (to me) retirement term: skiing

There is a 3rd type. I tried reliving my youth about a year+ ago. At age 63, I went water skiing. I hadn't done that for well over 30 years, maybe closer to 40 yrs. I couldn't do a slalom start but did get up on two.

I think I'm more suited today to Spend the Kids Inheritance.

Yeah, I skied a lot as a 20 something. I tried it again about 20 years ago. Got up on two, then dropped one for the slalom, and immediately wiped out. Broke an eardrum. That was the end of that!

I hope my parents spend every dime they have. They earned it, why would I want to deprive them of any chance to enjoy it? I like to think my own kids would feel the same way.

Yeah, I skied a lot as a 20 something. I tried it again about 20 years ago. Got up on two, then dropped one for the slalom, and immediately wiped out. Broke an eardrum. That was the end of that!

Sorry to hear that (no pun intended).

I was planning to drop one but didn't get the chance. Before I got to that stage, I got cocky and tried to cross the wake. That's when my feet went out in front of me and I went down. :nonono: Still, it was a blast for a short while! :dance:

DS (age 37)got to go skiing for his first time on that trip. We also tried to get DGD (age 10)up from shallow water with her dad helping her. She tried and tried and tried again but no success. She got close. Now they have moved and the boat is sold. :(

The things we did on the water when I was a kid!

My parents are now 72/70. Health ok, but iffy. Over the past 25 years they forgot how to spend. They don't want anything. Do not want to travel other than 1 time per year.

My dad drives a 2002 Ford Ranger pickup. He doesn't want a different one.

Encouraging them to spend causes anxiety. They are also stuck inside alot due to our long/cold winters. Talking about wintering somewhere warm causes anxiety.

I know this is common. Interestingly my dad retired at 52 and then worked part time until 62. So he didn't work all the way up. Just had no desire to spend anything.

They sit on their pile. Probably waiting for a good chunk to go to nursing homes.

The money gives them security. I know they like that. both their kids (my sister) are doing great. One step at a time I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom