New (to me) retirement term: skiing

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
May be old hat to some of you but I just saw the term "skiing" used for the first time as a retirement reference.

Q: What are you going to do when you retire?
A: We plan on skiing - Spending the Kids' Inheritance.

Last edited:
May be old hat to some of you but I just saw the term "skiing" used for the first time as a retirement reference.

Q: What are you going to do when you retire?
A: We plan on skiing - spending the kids' inheritance.
Love it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[-]Maybe they meant it literally - - from what I understand, skiing vacations can be pretty expensive.

Never tried it, myself.[/-]

EDIT: Oh, now that I have seen REWahoo's edit to the original post, there is no way that this was meant literally.

Last edited:
A (close to) 50 year old acquaintance from church hobbled in on crutches last Sunday. Torn ACL/MCL. Took up skiing the previous weekend.

I have been to Montana/Colorado a few times. It is fun. Beautiful snow and scenery. I know people of all ages do it. It won't be one of the hobbies I adopt upon retiring.

Never been skiing on the slopes, never plan to. Been skiing with the kid's money for over a decade and don't plan to stop. :)

I had to think about it for a moment, then got it. Nice one!

For those who might be a little slow like me, this is SKI as an acronym.

Spending the
Kids'
Inheritance

I'm going skiing with DD & her hubby next Wednesday. That's my birthday. - 68. BTW, one of the guys I ski with is in his 80's. I hope to still be skiing in 12+ years. :)

IMHO, nothing is more exhilarating than being at the top of a mountain on a clear, crisp morning with a long, well groomed run of fresh powder in front of you.

It was maybe a little too subtle, so I followed your lead and edited my original post. :)

It was fine. Like I said, I'm a bit slow today.

But I'll get the cobwebs cleared out with some fresh (thin) air, since I'll actually be spending most of next week skiing.

Both types of “skiing” can be fun. Actual skiing on the slopes can be a good way to “ski”, especially in places like Vail, Whistler, or Europe. I guess if you bring the kids along it would be one type of skiing(slopes) but not the other?

Last edited:
There is a 3rd type. I tried reliving my youth about a year+ ago. At age 63, I went water skiing. I hadn't done that for well over 30 years, maybe closer to 40 yrs. I couldn't do a slalom start but did get up on two.

I think I'm more suited today to Spend the Kids Inheritance.

Ain't got no kids to worry about.

Gonna blow the dough on me - :)

So... we have a member here who encourages everyone to pee before they Spend the Kids' Inheritance?

Now I'm really confused.

Don't have kids, so DW and I ski the old fashioned way...with boots and poles and skis!

17 days and 400,000 vertical feet so far this season.

For the record, motorhoming is far more expensive.

17 days and 400,000 vertical feet so far this season.

This is the 50th season snow skiing for me. I have never counted the vertical feet or the days. I also scuba dive. I have never counted the total feet descended. I HAVE counted how many actual dives though. I DO count miles driven to umpire baseball and ref volleyball but that is only for the taxes. Never understood why some people track total vertical feet for snow skiing or runners/walkers tracking miles ran/walked. Oh well.

There is a 3rd type. I tried reliving my youth about a year+ ago. At age 63, I went water skiing. I hadn't done that for well over 30 years, maybe closer to 40 yrs. I couldn't do a slalom start but did get up on two.

I think I'm more suited today to Spend the Kids Inheritance.

And a 4th type, Cross Country. Probably safer than the downhill and water varieties, and provides the most health benefits.

With no kids, it doesn't apply to us.
But skiing? hell yes, for over 40 years. Think about it - where else can you glide and zip through the mountains at speed through just the use of your feet, and without the aid of mechanized equipment? It's the closest thing to flying on a powder day.

No desire to spend away kids inheritance. Why would I want that as an objective? Quite wasteful to me. We do what we want and if there's some left, great. But why sit there & figure out ways to spend? Better things to do.

Arrive Whistler tomorrow night for 10 days of skiing. All reports are that they're having an epic snow year. 43 days so far, and I have no idea how many vertical feet. Pretty thin coverage this season in the west.

My fondest memory of that phase is an early one. Before I was even married.

I would see the bumper sticker on the back of the RV going down the freeway.

We're spending our kid's inheritance.

I thought good on you, let the kids earn their own dough!

Back
Top Bottom