New Year's Day movies

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know if a similar thread already exists, but I'll start this one anyway.

Seeing as how it's New Year's Eve, I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be doing this evening. Based on prior experience, I also can make a good guess about what New Year's Day will be like. So... assuming I'm not in much a shape to do anything but veg out and recover, I decided it'll probably be a movies-at-home day for at least a portion of it.

My one choice was actually prompted by something found in my stocking. I can't believe I'd never gotten one before, but... my very first iTunes gift card! :)

I got a couple of already-owned (but in LP form) albums with it, but had additional credit left that I wasn't sure about. Then I remembered a ringtone I had on my former cellphone (a Nokia clamshell). I loved that tone, but when I replaced the Nokia with an iPhone, I couldn't seem to locate that exact one, so I settled for a substitute. But I was feeling brave this week and, with iTunes credit in hand (or on account), went on the hunt again. Hallelujah - there it was! The theme song from the Austin Powers movies!

I had that thing for most of my clamshell life, and it always made me smile. But probably the most fun was one time, at work, I was part of some insanely-boring "long-term organizational planning" type meeting, all seated at some huge wooden conference table. Oh my, what torture. Normally, I never received personal calls at work (wouldn't bring the cell to meetings or silenced it) but this one time I did, and Austin Powers rang out, loud as you please. Everyone's head turned and they looked at me. I just smiled and said, "Groovy, baby!!!".

So at some point tomorrow I'll watch, for the first time in a long time, Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery. If it's still good and I'm feeling groovy enough, I may run the table. Unless someone else offers some good suggestions (that's your cue).

That is an excellent New Year choice of movie!

Tomorrow we will be either celebrating Clemson's big win or drowning our losing sorrows in a big vat of collard greens and Hoppin John.

Seeing as how it's New Year's Eve, I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be doing this evening. Based on prior experience, I also can make a good guess about what New Year's Day will be like.

I have a pretty good idea too. In bed by the time the last college Bowl game ends at around 10:30. New Years Day... football all day.

Haven't seen Austin Powers in a long time, maybe i'll watch that if there's a bowl game I don't care much about.

That's right: Jan 1 is owned by college football when all's right with the world.

I think Clemson made a big statement recently (around here, anyway). I think they're ready to rumble about now.

Groovy, baby!

I can go to sleep long before midnight, happy, thanks to that decisive victory for my Tigers!
Wooohoooo!

They looked better than I expected. Going into today, my prediction was Alabama wins by at least 2 scores and Oklahoma wins in a close game then loses to Alabama in the championship. With how good Clemson looked, it seems like Alabama will have their hands full. I still expect Alabama to win it all but i'm not so sure now.

Tonight was the best I've seen them play and I caught most of their games this season.
Alabama is tough, no doubt about it. But we sure would love for our underdogs to win it all! :)

Warched Duck Soup last night. Tonight it's Mythbusters and tomorrow probably college football.

I gave my closest friend an iTunes gift card for Christmas and she texted me tonight that she had already watched a movie using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've had myself cryogenically frozen and will join The Class Of 2041.

Viva Las Vegas, baby!

We watched Foxcatchers last night. Sad and disturbing story...

New Year's Day didn't end with just Austin Powers. Later on Jan 1, a bunch of people, many musicians among them, got together for a great time including hoppin john's and collard greens. Lots of singing and playing going on well into Jan 2. Also, someone brought some fantastic brownies made with Ghirardelli! I'm not sure what it was, but I thought I started sounding a lot better after that. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom