One and Done

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While I did not want any fanfare at work over my retirement, this week had plently that I could not avoid: department luncheon on Monday, lunch Tuesday at Lawry's with two of my favorite co-workers, lunch Wednesday with an out of town supplier followed by a department cellebration in the afternoon. For me this was a biter sweet send off, as I enjoy my work, especially the people I work with, but got to a point where I could not handle the commute anymore. At the cellebration, I received many comments that ranged from making me feel like I single handedly re-engineered the business for the better (LOL), to please don't go. I'm a bit of a sentimental and modest type and thats why I don't like such events. It had me pretty choked up and I'm honestly feeling some sense of loss. They also gave me a beautiful framed plaque that contained a semiconductor wafer signed by all of our employees and a nice gift card to Edwin Watts as they know I plan to work on my golf game:LOL:. On top of that they are planning a dinner for me and DW early next month and I've been asked to consider coming back for some consulting work.

Today is a vacation day, and I just need to go in Monday to turn in my laptop, badge, cellphone, etc.

While I'm not a true early retiree at 63, I did attempt ER at 54 and 57, but ended up going back to work as I wasn't mentally ready for it, nevertheless, I think it will stick this time around. DW is a part time librarian and she plans to retire at the end of August, as she didn't want to leave her coworkers during the busy Summer reading club months.

Congratulations on the 3rd attempt at retirement ! I can understand the sense of loss but I do hope that your new life finds you getting it over it rather quickly !

Congratulations, DFW_M5!!! :dance::clap: :dance:

If it helps, I felt a little choked up too at that stage of things. Retirement is a big change, and at our ages (I was 61), well, it made me feel old, too. And then, I thought I would miss my co-workers and the challenges of my job.

But, as you may have noticed, I have been supremely happy in retirement and wouldn't return for anything. I don't even think about work any more.

And as for the plaques and so on that I got at the retirement celebrations, to be honest I haven't taken them out of the shopping bag in the closet where I put them on retirement day. That surprised me a lot. I suppose I should get them out and hang them on the wall some day. :D

Go spend that gift certificate, and get out on the golf course! You are beginning the best part of life and you have earned it.

Last edited:
Congrats, I got a little choked up at one point too, seems normal enough. Sounds like you had a very nice sendoff, and that should provide pleasant memories as you start another chapter in your life. Best wishes on your new adventures!

Congratulations!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hope "The 3rd time's a charm", as they say. :LOL:

omni

Hey if you decide to do the consulting thing until your wife retires in August - use it to splurge on something for yourself! congrats.

I can remember my last day at work (seems like yesterday but it's just over a year ago now) Congrads and enjoy:dance:

It sounds like they will really miss you! I hope your retirement works out great either way: golfing and consulting or just golfing.

Thanks everyone! Went to the golf shop yesterday to spend my gift card, and bought the new Callaway XHot Deep 3, a lower lofted 3 wood that Phil Mickelson is currently using as a driver in some situations. Now if I could only hit it like he does:LOL:. I like its shorter shaft length and small head size, kind of reminds me of my old persimmon woods. Coincidentially, DW and I are cellebrating our 29th wedding anniversary today, so its nice to have more than one thing to cellebrate. Next week, I start playing in a sr softball league and suspect I will be hitting the gym more frequently.

Thanks everyone! Went to the golf shop yesterday to spend my gift card, and bought the new Callaway XHot Deep 3, a lower lofted 3 wood that Phil Mickelson is currently using as a driver in some situations. Now if I could only hit it like he does:LOL:. I like its shorter shaft length and small head size, kind of reminds me of my old persimmon woods. Coincidentially, DW and I are cellebrating our 29th wedding anniversary today, so its nice to have more than one thing to cellebrate. Next week, I start playing in a sr softball league and suspect I will be hitting the gym more frequently.

Good choice on the 3 wood. I bought a Taylormade RBZ 13* degree last year and enjoy it. I consider it my 2 wood. I use it to tee off with on some short holes and on par five's where I have a chance to get home in two, which is rare. But I can reach some in two that I never could before. Need a good lie in the fairway as the lower loft is a little tougher to hit.

Enjoy!

Being right-sized/out-sized/down-sized/fired let's one avoid all that unpleasantness...

Back
Top Bottom